Top 100 books of the C20th- How many have you read?

Jabba. that Radcliffe List seems a good mix of both US & European literature. I have read 29 on it.

Only 18 on the Waterstones and Channel 4 Television list. I don’t read many novels, and this list seems to be very much biased in favor of fiction. I read at least 4 non-fiction books for every novel I can force myself to wade through. Among those I have read, I’m surprised Stephen King’s It made the list. It wasn’t among his best efforts, in my opinion.

I’ve read only 8 on the modern library’s board’s list, which seems to be composed entirely of fiction.

I’ve read 18 on the readers’ list, but a lot of them were crap and barely worth reading. There are several others on that list I started reading but gave up on because they were even crappier.

1. Yes, it’s a British list. I would have added To Have and Have Not by Hemingway and As I Lay Dying by Faulkner (as I have read and loved both), with Naked Lunch by Burroughs (about halfway through, not sure if I like it yet but damn it’s an interesting one) on a short list of alternates.

I agree with Crusoe in all respects, right mdown to the 24 books, except that The Rainbow isn’t one of them in my case.

I’m certain we can come up with more worthy books than Jurassic Park. Geez. What about Guns, Germs and Steel? Or The Once and Future King?

1. Shouldn’t LOTR count as three books? They were separate when I read them…

An odd list. The Wasp Factory? Perfume? I’ve read 43 of them. And I didn’t count Ulysses. I’m gearing up for another try though. I thinking of going through Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man as a warm up.

And Bryan Ekers, didn’t you know that Augustus Gloop was disqualified from the contest for being a spawn camper?

The Horse Whisperer? WTF? I hate to admit it, but I’ve read that piece of shit. Badly written trite romance.

I’m fairly certain that in the foreword (phew, almost typed “forward”) to my edition, the LOTR is to be considered as one novel. Not as three separate books or a trilogy. (And my edition is of the three book variety.)

I’ve read 29 from the UK list. I’m glad it’s at least 25%. :smiley:

From the MLA list, I’ve read 30 from the readers’ list and only (gulp) 9 from the board’s list. Agh.

1. (27 on The Board’s list, 41 on The Reader’s list) Indeed, many of the books on all three lists are on my bookshelves.

And I just have to say, the thing that cemented the whole “this list is shite” thing for me… #88 is The Tin Drum (Günter Grass). Sucked as a book, sucked as a movie, and is one of the few things I’ll never, ever forgive Mr. Kitty for introducing me to.

21 of 'em. and what a varied choice of books it is on my list. Absolutely none of the traditional fiction, but I generally dislike that stuff anyway.

I’ve read 28 of the list in the OP, which is strange because I don’t read “good” books. I’m a pulp fiction type girl.

And that’s another thing, this is a list of the top 100 fiction books. I don’t see any non-fiction.

I’m going to go check out the other list mentioned in this thread.

I’ve read only 12 from the board’s list and 21 of the reader’s list in the more “American” site.
Are there more non-fiction on the other other lists in this thread?

I’ve only read 24 of them, and I consider myself pretty well-read (where are all the history and biographies, by the way?!).

I’ve never read Stephen King’s It, but I have read Elinor Glyn’s It . . .

Good heavens.

I’ve read 31 of the Waterstone’s list (make that 31 1/2, because I was halfway through “A Suitable Boy” before giving up on it. It was HUGE; I think I was on page 500 at least.)

Only 12 of the Modern Library’s list, 21 on the “boards” version. Hmm.

I’ve read eighteen of the English and six (i feel so ashamed!) of the American one.

I think that the list is somewhat… unusual, but ommiting Ayn Rand can only count in its favour. Particularly since her ‘brilliance’ is only known in America.

Oh wow. She loves capitalism. She hated them commie bastards. What a novel concept (even for then). There’s a book called Animal Farm, and it may be by an Englishman, but it does manage to offer an intelligent critique of communism without devolving into the idiocy of Rand.

I’ve read 40 from the first list, and I’m completely floored. A lot of them were high school (Trainspotting, Lord of the Flies) or even elementary school reads (Jurassic Park, the BFG). Hmm, maybe it’s my British background.

31 on the Radcliffe list. I have a pretty good average going here :wink:

18 here. Most of the stuff on the list is either high school required reading (which is most of my count) or what I consider to be total crap (Stephen King and The Horse Whisperer).

De gustibus nil disputandum, I guess.

Robin

11 British, 4 American board, 10 American readers.

Strange, I thought that I would have been exposed towards more American books than British considering my location. As other posters have noted, I read about half these on my list for my high school English classes.