Top Gear news

I didn’t see the new version yet, but while I can appreciate Leblanc’s seriousness about cars, and being a good driver, when he was on TG with Clarkson, et al, Leblanc seemed really lifeless in the interview. I’m not thrilled about seeing him.

You seem to think that every time someone other than a white Englishman is hired, it’s done for diversity purposes. I’m not so naive as to realize that sometimes this is the case. But sometimes someone other than a white Englishman is the most qualified person for the job. And, again without having watched the new Top Gear, Sabine Schmitz would appear to have the ideal qualifications for the job.

First word is pretty critical. Why they felt the need to cast 90s Tony Danza as the token American, God only knows: Rich Hall would have been far better.

Every time? no. Sometimes? yes. Would you disagree?

So clearly you don’t disagree.

The problem is not with Sabine, she may be a great addition, she may turn out to be the best thing on there.
My problem is, and always has been, with quotas and box-tickers.

I think all you need to know about the new Top Gear is that BBC America decided to show The Italian Job on the same night, and it was the remake.

And the Reasonably Priced Car track is now rallycross? Ugh.

It depends whether or not Rich Hall attempts to be funny. The serious version of Rich Hall is far more impressive than the funny version; the funny version is as humorous as a bag of dog poop.

Well what we’ve learned from this thread is unless the show is 100% white guys then it’s obviously reverse sexism, racism or quotas.

Not obviously, but in this case I would lay heavy odds that quotas were in place and the BBC said that there had to be a certain ethnic and gender make-up of the team.

If that is what they choose to do then fine, their money, their show. I personally don’t think that box-ticking is great way of building such a team.

To counter your argument I’d say that “the great british bake off” has female duo as presenters. Even though men are heavily over-represented in that industry I don’t know of anyone who thinks that they are there purely because they are women. They are there because they work well together. The new Top Gear team could be all-female and I’d care not one jot as long as it wasn’t dictated to be such and it worked.

Frankly, it does seem like a veiled sexism to me, and we get it on the Dope a lot. Oh they only hired a woman / black guy / whatever out of tokenism!

It doesn’t matter if people point out that that person is as qualified, perhaps more qualified than the others. It must be reverse sexism or racism amirite?!

You do realise that Sabine was very popular in previous segments of Top Gear, has a wicked sense of humour and is a fantastic driver? To even suggest she is a diversity hire or ticks boxes is wildly unfair to her.

I think they cast Sabine because when she first appeared on Top Gear she got a hugely positive audience reaction and a lot of viewers asked to have her reappear. Which she did a couple of times.

Having a diverse cast isn’t necessarily a cynical and deliberate ploy. British dramas and comedies have generally been very diverse for decades, though hosted entertainment has admittedly lagged behind.

What’s telling about the shortcoming of the new format is that Ze German was the most entertaining cast member.

Every single story line was a rehash of the excellent previous seasons with Jeremy, James and Richard. Each one seemed like it started in the middle, was poorly edited, poorly scripted and poorly wrapped up. No chemistry. No continuity. Just an all around fail.

I’ve watched every episode of Top Gear, she’s great. I still maintain that the fact she is a women played a part in her hiring and it shouldn’t.

And yes that situation is unfair to her but it is of the BBC’s making not mine.

Well, certainly casting for a TV entertainment show (and this is an entertainment show) is not a demographics-blind exercise. On the contrary what fresh viewer potential can you bring in IS an absolutely valid ‘merit’ criterion, as long as at the same time you’re someone who has what the gig takes – and Sabine does by all previous evidence(*). It’s not like they drafted Victoria Beckham or Pippa Middleton.

I’d bet far more people raised an eyebrow at “Joey” making the cast, I know I did. But he did well enough on the debut.

(*and getting a Naval Aviator carsick is some driving, there…)

However I recognize leaving just the one Brit Lad in the cast may become a challenge, after all part of the charm of the old team was that stereotypical collective eccentricity.

It seems odd that TG has progressed and evolved over many years with the three hosts, now it has progressed slightly more in format but the hosts are ‘off for a bit’. Keeping so much of the same format just looks lazy, surely the BBC can come up with some new ideas? The Grand Tour shows it can be done and done quickly.

As to the new hosts, I only remember two of them; one was desperately shouty with silly hair, the other was downbeat about everything. There was little of the humour and nuanced, although often scripted, ‘performances’ when the hosts spoke to each other, it was as though Evans isn’t used to having a co-anything and LeBlanc was acting like he was Evans’s mate.

Previously there was a kind of pecking order with Clarkson top and Captain Slow / Hamster last, which created some competition within the group and the internal dynamics were used as humour (and sometimes plot) to good effect. Now it’s just Matt v Chris the dynamic is very flat, there’s plenty of interesting subtext missing, and the show is too much to have just two (uninspiring) voices.

And which is the car expert? The Ginger One can afford lots of Ferraris, the One from the US can as well. The three previous were motor industry journalists, had done more test drives than had hot dinners, and talked about car news. They became wealthy because they had driven a lot of cars and could talk about them, not the other way around.

Oh, and a clapometer suits children’s TV :smack:

The real experts are over at Extra Gear. I found the first Extra Gear to be more interesting than the main show. Had a more old school Top Gear vibe without being a carbon copy. Chris Harris should replace Evans in the main show.

I like Sabine but I think it would be better if they used her in small doses. She’s just so German. Have her on when you need an expert to drive something very fast and try to limit her role in comedic bits.

I thought it was awful. Cringe-inducing travesty. Horrible. It was sort of a zombie version - they took all the bits and pieces that on the surface made the show work, and slapped them together while ignoring everything on the inside that drove it. Top Gear was always self-deprecating. Bouncing around a studio waving your arms and egging the crowd on to cheer? No. And that’s just the start.

Mostly agree.
There are going to have to be major tweaks if this version is going to have any success.

Well this weeks show was much better, far more entertaining.

I still think it needs the veneer of pointing out the attributes of the vehicles being driven though, the trip up the mountains was fun enough, but really there should have been some technical/vehicle chat.

I still think the rally cross is a crock.

I think we need some industry news.

I agree. It was head and shoulders above last week’s effort. I missed the first minute but did they mention something about Evans’ shouting?

Agreed. It was so poor I switched over to Antiques Roadshow with and three beautiful Chines jade pieces being evaluated.

I’d like to see that too: it was a base for banter between the presenters.

And Evans still needs to STOP SHOUTING. He needs to remember that he’s not on radio any more.