"Turn in your badge and your weapon"

You can take my badge and my gun…but my shield and crossbow…!

Well fuck YOU !

One more day until retirement, he had a wife Goddamit , sob, …

Almost. Their partners must also have been only two weeks away from retirement.

Indeed

No, actually it’s pretty accurate. You have to immediately turn in your badge and ID card and then we send somebody to your house to collect any firearms you have registered under your badge.

Justifiably so. That’s a violation of a couple of amendments. They might get the ACLU and the NRA to join forces on this one.

Take a long gander at THIS cite, especially the MAPS page and the FORUM page where people post their experiences open carrying. It is legal in most states and police departments around the country have been paying out a lot of money in law suit settlements for harassing OCers.

The department I was on for 25 years issued a weapon, but officers were allowed to carry their own as long as it was of one of the approved models and calibers, and they qualified with it during training. Suspended officers did have their badge, ID cards, keys, and weapon taken from them. If they carried their own weapon the ammo (department issued) was confiscated.

After I retired I took a part-time position with another agency. Part-timers are required to buy ALL their own equipment (uniform, gun, duty belt) except the badge and ammo. Luckily after over 2 decades I had a lot of my own equipment and didn’t have to go broke buying the stuff.

I stand corrected sir. :frowning:

Even if a cop has their own personal carry permit and their own personal weapon, once their police carrying privileges have been revoked wouldn’t it be illegal to carry inside a police station or courthouse? (Where they would presumably be asked to surrender their badge and gun).

If they are suspended or fired due to a felony criminal charge against them that might void their personal carry permit too, but I’m not sure of that. But aside from any legalities it isn’t good management to send an employee who has just been fired or suspended out into the office or courthouse carrying a loaded gun so I’m sure they are legally able to prevent that even if by just giving them their gun back outside the building after their entry badge is taken away.