U.S. nearly bankrupt at end of WW2, sez "Flags of our Fathers"?

What does this have to do with the question asked in the OP?

<mod>

BeachMountainQQ:

Your contributions to this point have been negligible. The majority of your posts have been incoherant ramblings about the news media, communists, and the like.

I’ll only say this once, so listen closely. *The main rule of this board is “Don’t Be A Jerk”. Your posts so far have not been enough to dissuade either the moderators or the regular posters that you’re not in violation of that rule. Be prepared to give cites about your statements. If they are simply your opinion, that’s fine, but keep your opinions in the proper forums. *

Next is an official warning, then it’s goodnight Irene. Bring your level of intelligence up. Maybe read some posts before you post again? See how it’s done here?

Don’t make us take steps that everyone will regret.

</mod>

I suppose that people were afraid of there being hyperinflation after war’s end. And there WAS an inflation spike… but not a hyperinflation. As per Exapno’s cite, eventually things balanced out as the consumer economy spooled up.

As the war progressed into '45, a lot of the home-front propaganda kept up the drumbeat that the situation remained as dire as the darkest days of '42. I suppose in part this may have been because although for some things and not others they’d be in a tight spot, you get better cooperation from the public if you make the claim universal.

Yeah, only trust what you read on the Internet!

Preferably only if I wrote it. :smiley:

I’m not convinced this resentment (as distinct from understandable annoyance at immature and selfish behaviour) exists. If you were right then ill-feeling against the US would have diminished as these other countrys’ standard of living approached that of the US; instead we see the opposite.

No. This is emblematic of why resentment is never understood and never properly dealt with.

James C. Davies made a brilliant theoretical observation that is called the J curve of rising expectations (the Davies J-Curve for short). I remember when I first encountered this in college and being stunned by its simplicity and explanatory power.

A good one-paragraph summary can be found at Davies J-Curve Revisited

The curve can be applied to an astounding number of historical situations. It explains why there were so few slave rebellions, why the French revolution took place when it did, why the civil rights movement occurred just when blacks had their best treatment in American history.

Doing a search I see that a book on the subject has just been published, The J Curve: A New Way to Understand Why Nations Rise and Fall, by Ian Bremmer.

Sounds fascinating. I just discovered it, so I obviously haven’t read it, but he seems to have the understanding of what makes the J Curve so powerful.

So back to Askance’s remark. Other countries getting closer to American standard of living may make them less resentful or it may kick up the resentment to lethal levels. Look at the surprise of our leaders when they found that terrorists and suicide bombers tend to be middle class and educated about western values rather than hopeless poverty-stricken victims. The J Curve makes this an obvious outcome: they never considered it and chaos and failure have been the result.

Most aircraft were scrapped to recover the aluminium. I daresay the same was done with many vehicles and ships, but most were sold off dirt-cheap as war surplus or donated to help rebuild friendly countries. If none of these were easy options, then it was indeed dumped or blown up. Lets face it, what are you going to do with e.g. a couple of thousand brand-new tanks in Italy? Give some to the Italians, keep a few for your post-war forces, then what? Shipping them back to the states is expensive and there are tens of thousands sitting outside the factories anyhow. Local steelworks may not have been able to scrap the armour plate and there was probably plenty of other scrap steel around.