Was "The Hurricane" Guilty?

To be fair, The Hurricane was just a strange movie and I don’t think there are THAT many movies quite like that. There are much more common problems with the movie industry (like too much CGI)

Legally, no, probably guilty is not enough to convict somebody.

But in the arena of public opinion, a verdict of probably guilty is fine. I have no hesitation, for example, in saying that O.J. Simpson was probably guilty of committing murder even if he was found innocent in court.

Life is interesting enough, but movie makers want to earn a profit.

My sentiments exactly, meaning he probably belongs in prison. :wink:

Good quote. He was right. In addition, most movies are made to make a profit. The above formulas are pretty good for that, too, though on different scales and to different audiences. No doubt some movies are made with little regard for profit, but they’re the minority, especially among A-budget films. It’s hard to fund a big cost money loser.

The State of New Jersey could have tried Carter a third time, but chose not to, since 22 years had passed, which would weaken any case.

It really is a question of scale. If you keep the budget low enough and get some names attached, pretty much any film can get made.

I’ll tell you what might make an interesting film: a group of idealistic young people set about trying to get an unjust conviction overturned. After interviewing (and bonding with) the convicted man, they slowly start to uncover evidence that he was guilty after all, tearing the group apart, as some deny the evidence, others think the fairness of the trial is the issue, others don’t want to risk letting a guilty man out, etc.

Plus there was no life without parole then. Artis was paroled in 1981 and Carter wouldn’t have been much further behind him anyways. A retrial in 1985 would have served little purpose.

ahem

I’m curious to why you aren’t making the same complaints about, say, Oliver Stone.

I suppose I could have complained about Oliver Stone. However I wanted to confine this discussion to criminals who were glorified and lauded by Hollywood.

Like Richard Nixon?

Thanks!

I think the post that used that term was not coming from a juror. I believe you are confusing the issues.

Right on, baby!

IIRC, Dylan was sort of slammed with a bunch of pro-Carter propaganda, by the ones who were making a big deal out of how The Man was persecuting Carter. I think he didn’t start to get any part of the full story until a few years after his song was released, etc…

What surprises me is that this is still an issue with Hollywood. Law & Order figured this shit out back in the 80’s with their “ripped from the headlines/the following story is in no way meant to represent actual people or events” double-talk.

If you’re a writer/director/producer, and you come across some real-life story that inspires you; fictionalize it. Use different names, change the setting slightly (different state, same region, or different part of the same front line, etc), basically just go ahead and tell the story you want to tell using only the good seeds from reality without including all the chaff of legal liabilities that comes with using real identities or billing it as a biography.

Problem solved.

Besides, they still could’ve used the “Hurricane” nickname and song, it’s generic enough and would be a tip of the hat to the inspiration.

As far as Hollywood is concerned, it’s not an issue. It’s not as though people stay away from movies because their friends say they’re historically inaccurate.

Interesting; did Bob Dylan ever say he regretted defending somebody who in reality was most likely guilty?

What movie ever glorified Richard Nixon? I admit that I didn’t see the Anthony Hopkins film so I cannot comment on it. I did see “Frost/Nixon” and I don’t see how Hollywood tried to excuse Nixon’s crimes and make some kind of hero out of him in the process, the way Hollywood has done with the Hurricane and Barbara Graham, to name two.

There are definitely Hollywood movies on the other side of the coin. You may like Paul Schrader’s films which really ripped into left-wing anarchist types, particularly **Patty Hearst **and The Mosquito Coast. Running on Empty with River Phoenix is another movie along those lines. The Final Option (aka Who Dares Wins) is a nice British action film from the early 80s which uses left wing activists as villains - Judy Davis is great as the insane leftist leader.

Thanks I 'll have to check those films out. FYI—While I never saw the movie, I did read “The Mosquito Coast” when it first came out.