Watchin' it again....Battlestar Galactica(massive open spoilers)

Besides dying from a nuclear strike can’t be all that much worse than a snapped neck anyways.

Well it’s all aces then.

She had to kill the baby to save the baby.

That all depends on just how close you are to the strike, of course. Massive radiation burns or being trapped in rubble or whatever can’t be very fun.

Halfway through Season 2, and I keep getting stuck on how much of an attention-whoring annoying whiny ass Baltar is. “Waaahh, why isn’t everyone paying attention to meeeeee?!”

Dude, you got to bang Starbuck, you lost your whining card when you did that.

I dunno, I liked whiny Baltar a helluva lot more than I liked messianic Baltar. Thank the gods that even messianic Baltar was little more than a bearded shell for whiny Baltar. :smiley:

But that’s his character in a nutshell.

Anyway, I’m watching Roslin and her party trying to find the Temple of Athena.

I remember that they are going to use that arrow that Kara brought back and that they are going to use it at the temple to look at constellations or something(correct me where I’m wrong).

Does any of this serve any point to the story at the end of the day? I mean, does any of this matter?

To us as an audience - yes. It gave the series a great sense of place in terms of mythology, “they’re not us”-ness, and the fact that mysticism in this universe is (possibly) real.

To the plot - sure. It reinforces Adama’s claims of Earth, gives them pretty solid insight into the fact that mysticism is real for them, gives them a frame of reference of constellations (though scientifically/cartographically that’ll never be precise enough), and it gives Roselyn’s visions a heap of legitimacy.

Didn’t it actually give them things to look for? Steller patterns? Clues that lead to their parade through space that ends up in the temple where Deanna sees the 5?

And also, the religiosity of the show is something that I find something refreshing in sci-fi TV, where religion is treated as either something intangible or something down right hokey. Even Babylon 5, which treated numerous religious characters respectfully, tended to treat the subjects of those religions themselves as either spiritually ambiguous (Ivonova talks to God, but the show never addresses whether or not anyone other than the audience is listening) or as the results of time travel (well, the entire Minbari faith system).

While I’m fine with that approach, it was refreshing to see Galactica go for the direct route to addressing whether their religion was real or not and have “yes” come out as the answer.

I’m at the end of season two, just about to watch the 2-part finale.

A few more points and maybe a couple of questions:

1. This show really got going when Pegasus aired. That, and the two parter that followed it, is some has some of the great moments. I love when Roslin just pauses and says, “We’re gonna have to kill her,” referring to Cane.

2. I don’t get the plan with swapping out Hera for a dead baby and adopting the baby out to that other lady(who plays Jo on Eurkea, by the way). How did they find a dead baby to swap into the incubator to confine Athena and Helo their baby is dead?

3. I love Head Baltar. It’s just a* great *idea and is executed brilliaintly.

“Day of the Dead” and Lorien were pretty unambiguous. :smiley:

But yeah, the spirituality of BSG was one of the elements I really liked.

Day of the Dead I loved just because Dodger came back. Loved that spunky redheaded jarhead. :smiley:

So what was the point of Galen punching and beating up Callie in some kind of hyper-rage fit? Was that supposed to hint that he’s a Cylon or something?

When I try to get someone into BSG (I had great success with my wife) I give them the miniseries and Disc 1 of Season 1. I tell them to push through the miniseries; if they’re not rabid sci-fi fans (and most aren’t), it can be a little rough. Then I tell them to watch 33. If they are not hooked by that episode, they’re not going to be. I think that might be one of the single finest hours of television ever, and one hell of a way to kick off a new series.

I, too, preferred Baltar as whiny, slightly crazed comic relief more than messianic Baltar. Somewhere in the middle, where he got some power (as Vice-President), but hadn’t as yet exercised much of it is about the right balance, I think.

I also really, really like the way they’ve made space combat three-dimensional. I like that we see formations of spacecraft that aren’t aligned along a single plane, and I get a little thrill every time a fighter pitches 180° to shoot at something or change direction, like when Lee and Kara fly backwards keeping pace with Olympic Carrier.

I rewatch BSG for the anticipation of certain scenes. The first appearance of Pegasus, Starbuck in the blue dress (was that Bastille Day?) and, of course, the Adama Maneuver. I still cheer whenever that happens, and I still cry when Saul steps off that raptor at the end. Every. Frakking. Time.

It was supposed to hint that he’s suffering from a pretty severe case of PTSD.

I’m not a rabid sci-fi fan and I fell in love with the miniseries. I spent about thirty minutes thinking “Huh… I’ve never really seen anything like this before. I wonder what’s going to happen next” and the rest of the show thinking “I’ve never seen anything like this before, and it’s absolutely balls-to-the-wall amazing.”

“33” was just even more thoroughly amazing.