Water Absorption during Shower?

Your lungs need something close to 100% relative humidity in the air in order to work properly; your nostrils, trachea, bronchi and bronchioles generally take care of this. This is why your exhaled air is so moist.

If you’re inhaling very humid air, this reduces the moisture requirement from your lungs; that is, it will reduce the rate at which your body loses moisture, but it will not add moisture to your body.

If you live in an extremely dry climate (e.g. Boulder, Colorado in the wintertime), you can lose a lot of moisture just through respiration.

As for the OP’s tale:

This is a pretty easy one to check:

1. Beginning in a healthy state of hydration, take a 20-minute shower.
  2. keep a written record of your total urine output volume over the subsequent two hours.
  3. the next day, beginning in a healthy state of hydration, drink 6-8 glasses of water over a 20-minute period.
  4. keep a written record of your total urine output volume over the susequent two hours.
  5. Compare the two written records.

My prediction is a huge discrepancy between the two written records.

I highly doubt any “standard” bathroom scale is that accurate. I’ve heard of ones that will repeat certain measurements taken with a certain period of time though.

And of course what you are saying is unknown to science…

zombie or no

you need to test the scales with dry weight. take 50 lbs of dry weight (exercise weights would work).

adjust the scale to zero when its reading is stable. put the 50 lbs on the scale. record the weight. repeat 10 times. compare.

you need to allow plus or minus for the variation you see (or is stated by the manufacturer) whichever is greater.

you can’t compare with your body from one day to the next because of water on the hair and food, shit, water inside will vary.

Makes me wish we had a seriously accurate scale - mrAru has alopecia and absolutely no hair anywhere to hold water. [His normal comment is that he really misses his nose hairs:p]

Bathroom scales are not renowned for their accuracy. Especially if you change their temperature.

After 8 years, the zombie’s probably pretty dried out. That might make it really absorbent, come to think of it. You’d think that a soggy zombie would weigh a lot more than a dried out zombie.

Since it’s a zombie thread anyway, I will pop in here with a rhyme that my mother taught me a long time ago, about how much water weighs:

A pint’s a pound
the world around
That is all. Cheers,
Roddy

There are so many water purifiers for showerheads on the market, and that would make one think that the body does indeed absorb water.

True or close enough for US pints.

Imperial pints are 1.25 pounds (Imperial gallons are exactly 10 pounds of water), so over there, it’s “A pint of water is a pound and a quarter”.

Would it? Or would it make one think that perhaps many people are gullible enough to buy a water purifier for their shower head?

Do you mean water softeners? That’s actually pretty common but not because of absorption of water.

I guess if you use well water for your shower, you might want to filter out lead or sulfur or other stuff (maybe chlorine, if you’re so inclined), so it’s possible to have a shower filter. But again, that’s nothing to do with absorption of water and with what else is in the water.

This is in no means intended to prevent knocking of gullible people who are buying water purifiers for the intent of absorbing water through their skins, but I will make two (three) notes:

1. some people (myself included) brush their teeth and drink from the shower.

2. most soaps and shampoos are designed to work with a certain level of water “hardness” or “softness” and the purifiers help with that, making the sudsing action work better (please note the cleansing action is not actually much changed by the sudsing, but it makes most people happy to have big foamy suds, so there it is.)

(I couldn’t resist (Hi, Opal!) - 3) placebo affect - they think their water is PURE for their shower, they feel healthier because of it, they ARE healthier.)

Also… recent research shows that pruny skin is not water absorption. After all, does all your skin everywhere become pruny?

The pruning happens internally, not externally. It’s a bodily response to being in water. The leading theory is that it increases grip on slippery surfaces.

Was just going to add that, moriah. I didn’t know that back when this thread made it’s first rounds. The latest thinking is that raisin fingers are because of nerve response, nothing to do with dehydration or overhydration.

Also, you have to pee after swimming because, well, you have to pee every couple of hours anyhow. But also because the weight of the water encourages fluid to move into the lymph vessels and ultimately to the bladder and out as urine. Swimming pools, and even bathtubs, are a common recommendation for reducing edema in the feet and ankles. It’s like temporary compression stockings, without the fashion crime.

Maybe you are making too many assumptions about the posters who claim to breathe and hydrate through their skin.

On the Internet, nobody knows if you’re a frog.