Weekly Comic Book Discussion 12/7/2006

Sadly, it’s not. Rather than have a two-three month hiatus, they’d rather repackage the series with a new number 1, which tends to get more press in comic journals. They’re hoping for a sales surge for the new creative team.

52 #31: Oh noes! Its’ the iBorg! That whole scene reads a lot differently if you have that iPod commerical song running through your head.

Justice Society #1: WWIII? Is that their term for Infinite Crisis? I’m loving the new characters, especially Maxine.

Supergirl #12: I was planning on holding off on this series until the TPB, but then I saw that Amanda Conner was drawing it. Sure its a fill-in and is more an introduction to the new Terra than a Supergirl story, but it was a lot of fun. I’m half-convinced that Supergirl threatening to melt that guy was an homage to my favorite line from Justice League Unlimited (DON’T YOU TALK ABOUT SUPERGIRL! SUPERGIRL CAN MELT YOU WITH HER EYES!).

World War III will take place in the last few issues of 52.

Lessee - what else. Nightwing continues to not suck since the change in writers… snagged a Christmas issue of Justice League Unlimited which was pretty good… Outsiders was interesting, but raises a continuity point about Sabbac…

Detective was very cool. Wonderful Joker story. Manhunter rocks, glad to see the first of its extended run.

I enjoyed Supergirl this month, quite a bit. I love the geeks in hero costumes.

Mystery in Space - Looks like we’re about to kick into butt-kicking mode.

Atom - nice wrap-up to the first arc, and another cryptic clue to carry us through…

Invincible - who doesn’t love this book?

Official Handbook of the Invincible Universe - Had to buy it.

Welcome to Tranquility #1 - Gail Simone has another winner here.

My supplier might be a little behind, but is the Amazing Spider-Man issue with…

…Peter fleeing Iron Man and barging into a TV studio to blow the whistle on the superhuman internment-camp

…the current one? If so—

—Love-fest sentiment about the value of truth in government and due process aside, I’d say that Mister Parker is seriously overestimating the Marvel Earth population’s willingness to tolerate superpowered activity when they fear—justified or not—for their own safety. He’s probably lucky they haven’t unleashed enough Sentinels to turn the U.S. into a damn Tokusatsu set.

…of course, with the current zeitgeist, Iron Man’s going to get accosted by an old black guy who’s mad at him for only helping the blue skins. (Then Tony will kill him, and tie a puppy to a railroad track.) :smack:

There’s an interview with Johns up on Newsarama in which he discusses this:

JSA looks GREAT! It seems as though this Starman will be some version of Thom Kallor, although possibly not the one in the current Legion series. I hope we get a visit from Jack Knight at some point.

52…I have this sudden suspicion that Supernova is [spoiler]-----Ray Palmer-----[spoiler].

Thoughts?

Crap. Will somebody please fix that spoiler?

Heh. My local Comic Shop Guys were convinced that’s who Supernova was – because of his costume, before he even made an appearance in 52. They argued that to me quite a bit, and IIRC it was one of these threads that sorted it all out for me.

It would be the height of non-Alanis irony if those knuckleheads turned out to accidentally be correct.

p.s., unless you have some inside info, I wouldn’t think there’s a need to spoiler-blackout speculation, which that seems to be.

No, it’s just speculation.

Ray as supernova makes sense. The Flight can be surfing on wind currents. The Teleportation shrinking and growing. He’d know where the Batcave is, and he knows Ralph, but not Cassie. he has a reason for hiding his identity. Heck, he has some familarity with time travel, if he’s going to tie into the Booster/Skeets story.

But why is he wearing the GBS logo? And what about the clues Ralph alluded to. Why is Superman’s absence the key? And frankly, he’d be much nicer to Ralph, of all the heroes.

52 Question: Why the hell is Skeets a lunatic running around murdering people? I always saw him as Booster’s sidekick. That and isnt he Dead? Didn’t Checkmate dismantle him in prelude to infinite crisis?

After Ted’s death, and the discovery of what had been done with Skeets, Booster went back to the future, and came back with a new Skeets.

And the new skeets wants to kill everybody? And isn’t booster a fugitive in the future?

They were forced to let him off the first time, because the historical records had him as a hero in the 20th century.

He is again after he and New Skeets stole historical records to try to change the past/present.

Still, why is Skeets so bloodthirsty?

Interesting tidbits in the March solicit for Supergirl and the Legion :

SUPERGIRL AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #28
Written by Mark Waid
Art by Barry Kitson & Mick Gray
Cover by Kitson
The Legion and the Wanderers have joined forces to take the Dominator War away from Earth and to an unfamiliar realm where life is cheap and victory is dear. And at long last, the Dominators’ link to the events of 52 is revealed!

Never saw I’d see that team again.

Yet to be revealed. Speculation is that it has something to do with the “machine war” Morrow once mentioned.

I’m thinking that’s probably the group that Sun Boy has been hanging out with.

Probably, but I can hope. :wink: Did they match up at all to the pre-Crisis versions? It’s been a while, and I can’t remember.