We're finally moving!

Ya know, I’ve been here a long time, and don’t agree with some of what’s been going on here lately, and have a big investment here (hell, I met my SO of 7 years here), and I have to say, my reaction to the OP is:

:rolleyes:

I don’t understand these long good-byes. Are they for the OP’s ego, to hear how he/she will be missed? Or is it to cyber-slap Ed?

As Tuco says in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, “If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk.

In other words, just go.

I think if we’ve learned anything over the past few weeks, no one cares.

I like it. I may never really do anything in the new town, but, at least, it showed the mayor of the old town that it citizens were serious.

@The Surb: You left out the most important part. Not only were the rules more heavily enforced, but new rules were created without checking with the citizens. So, since the mayor cannot be impeached or otherwise held responsible for his actions, some citizens (the ones you are practically insulting) decided to voice their protest by leaving. The same thing immigrants have been doing for millenia. Would you have prefered a revolutionary/civil war?

It’s just “Look at me! Please! LOOK AT ME!” behaviour by a bunch of tedious, err, people. This place will be well shot of them.

What a strange thread.

That’s cool. But what about the citizens of this town that didn’t like the graffiti and garbage? We don’t have the right not to see it? We don’t have the right not to have mods leaving because any action or no action is met with name calling and poo flinging. (and I’m sorry about the ones that did leave I wish it could have worked out better)

Sure we don’t have to read it, but one can step over the big turd in the middle of the sidewalk and still be disgusted by it.

Why do people keep saying this? Yes you do understand these long good-byes. It is to send a clear message to Ed that his changes have ruined the atmosphere and vibe of a board that was a top notch board.

And for people that keep saying folks are leaving just because they want to insult other posters in the pit, yeah, keep lying to yourself while good posters that never called another poster a cunt in their lives go away and never come back.

You couldn’t possibly move it to another board, could you?

Thanks.

Maybe I’m missing something. The only changes I’ve seen made here are in the language and type of posts that can be made in the Pit and ATMB, and where comments about board issues can be made. Posts in the other forums, as far as I can tell, are not affected by any of the new rules.

And I’m sorry, but it is about saying “Look at me! I’m leaving and I want to be sure that everyone knows it!” If you’re that upset about the way things are being done here, then just stop posting and find another sandbox to play in.

No, actually I don’t understand it. Trying to send a clear message to Ed at this point is supposed to do what exactly? I think these things are more about the person writing them, and not about trying to send any message to TPTB. These are the same people who before the big blowup would be inclined to write “don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.” if some other poster decided to say “goodbye” for one reason or another. This place had its share of “Eds” before Ed usurped them all.

If Ed hasn’t gotten the message after all this, do you honestly think he’s going to get it after reading the OP?

Please. There are certain people who are convinced that they are more important than they really are. And these types of OPs are a desperate plea for validation.

It’s a message board, for crying out loud. And TPTB have already told us all how they feel. Ed’s been hit over the head with the written equivalent of a shovel for the past couple of weeks. Do you think hitting him again will make any difference?

Or will a 6-page thread pleading for the OP to come back to these boards change the OP’s mind?

That’s what I thought. :dubious:

Do you want to eat your crow here or shall we wrap it to go?

I’m kind of checking out the new town. IRL, a couple years ago the mayor and council passed a couple of really intrusive and stupid laws. Everyone, and I mean virtually everyone complained. TPTB dug their heels in, names were called, nasty letters written and at some point the mayor said that well, he gets why people are mad, and he didn’t mean to get people riled, or make like there was any limiting people’s actions - that there was a problem in the eyes of some and though it was ham-handed they took some action, but that if everyone could take a minute and see what’s really broke and what really needs to be fixed and how that we could all work it out.

I’m pretty sure no one moved out of town over it. I know I didn’t, even though that law affected me an awful lot more than not being able to use particular insulting or abusive language does here.

Once in a while, I visit nearby towns, I like what they have to offer, sometimes just that they’re different is enough. Maybe the new place seems more collaborative, maybe that’s just now, who knows? I’ll be here, I’ll visit there, like I visit some of the other area towns now and then. I’m pretty sure not many people care a lot whether I move, IRL or from this allegorical town.

I know I wouldn’t care who cares or not.

I hope to see you in the other virtual town and I know the migratory Mumpers do. (Is that even the right term?) If not, I plan to still visit here. No farewells from me. Just a new primary residence.

C’mon, Q.E.D. You think that’s an apology? How many times have you read about “changes coming next week” or “just over the horizon”?

You may know Ed much better than I, so if that’s an admission of a mistake, and a willingness to make amends, I’ll take your word for it. But that’s not the take I’m getting on the new board. Or from what I’ve read here, for that matter.

I’ll eat all the crow you can serve up the day you quit your position on domebo and come back here to do your posting. Until then, I’m pretty comfortable with my assessment.

Try this on for size:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=10915555&postcount=130

Believe it or not, I just came in here to show that one to you!

Now, that’s an apology.

A good one. Does it change your mind? Are you going to come back? I’m not talking about the casual posts, but to make this your message board of choice?

Two new boards sprang up, and a lot of people are hoping they succeed. If Ed would have written that oh, 2-3 weeks ago, I think he would have kept a lot of us around. But for many posters, there is no coming back. To know that THAT kind of apology was in there somewhere and just came out now is the true tragedy in all of this.

Sorry, Oakminster… I thought you were QED when I posted. My apologies for the confusion. But I agree that your link is to an actual apology.

No. I’m a Domebo guy now, and my best stuff will be going there.

I think this is how many of us feel. Too little, much to late. When you commit to a new board, your best stuff has to go there.

I’m too set in my ways to move. So the mayor came down heavy on ugly brawls in the local bar. Meh, I can live with that.

Maybe if the real heavyweights started pulling up stumps I’d think again, citizens of the calibre of Bricker, John W. Shakespeare, Qadgop the Mercotan, et al. People with real expertise in their respective fields, a willingness to share their knowledge, and a real fluency in imparting it.

Then of course there’s Cecil, the reason I came to this town in the first place. Sure, he doesn’t appear much in propria persona here but his spirit permeates the place. I’d miss that.

So buona fortuna to those who are leaving us. I hope your new towns fulfill all your expectations.