West Wing: Stirred

Ah, but Charlie works for the government, and is probably in a salaried position. $35,000 in the White House sounds about right.

I don’t remember Lowe playing stupid. He was working with Hoynes on the education bill, then he went into the meeting about dropping Hoynes from the ticket. And he lied about what went on with Hotnes, saying that the vice president came up with the idea about taking his name off of the bill with no prompting. Seems he really likes Hoynes for some reason.

Idaho, not Nevada…right?

Who are Bruno and the other guy again? Hired guns for the election, pollsters or something?

Is it just me of did Toby really overstep his authority to threaten a cabinet sec. job?
Maybe he and the president have discussed this particular guy before off screen but I thought Toby was kind of a one note jerk on this episode. LIke at the beginning why did his assistant just point to the clip board with the information he demanded?

Yes, it was On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, it just sounds wrong to me so I subconsciously transcribed it. And that was the George Lazenby Bond. Telly Savalas played Blofeld(sp?) as well.

The same with Elkhorn, Idaho, which I think may be a fictional town.

Also, I just realised I spelled Leo’s last name as McGarrity but on the show it is McGarry. I think McGarrity was the last name of the house mother on “Facts of Life”.

Bruno is the highly paid political consultant played by Ron Silver. He was brought in to get the President into the election after MS-Gate. The other guy they referred to was Doug, IIRC.

And I don’t know if Toby overstepped his bounds. I think that is part of his job; nice as Bartlet is this is still politics.

Bruno is the badass campaign strategist who has never voted for anyone.

It was “Yeomen of the Guard”, a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta. When Charlie first said he would spend his refund on a DVD, that was Bartlet’s first guess as to the title.

Man, Aaron Sorkin must love me this week. A decent plotline for Charlie (couple episodes this season he’s had literally about three lines), Bartlet and Donna got a scene together, and the Prez has apparently stopped acting like a jerk like he has for so much of this season.

Hoynes is such a great, complex character. I didn’t feel this week diluted him at all. Sometimes you love him and sometimes you hate him. Hopefully he and Bartlet haven’t become best pals forever now; I still want to seem them hit some rough patches, but moments of mutual admiration like this are nice too.

I was surprised to see them apparently explicitly bringing back the “Sam feeling out of the loop” storyline again. I thought that had been resolved.

Shibb and Oblong, nice catch on the sumo metaphor. I didn’t get that at first either. (Was anyone else reminded of the hockey discussion we had here a little while back, where somebody suggested getting a team of skeet shooters to take care of stray pucks?)

And was I the only one who expected the four words to be “Let Bartlet be Bartlet?”

It was Elkhorn, Idaho. It is a hotel up in the Sun Valley ski resort area. But getting it confused with Nevada is certainly understandable. In fact, when I first saw the episode preview, I thought, “Ah! The Nevada episode!” Also note that the high-level nuclear waste that might go to Yucca Mountain will be passing a town named “Elko”, which is a kind of neat semi-coincidence.

Anyway, the episode was a good one. I like the episodes where they show the camaraderie between the staff; they’re a nice break from the “Everyone-go-their-separate-ways-and-let’s-get-some-work-done” episodes. And I am in agreement that the “Suckers!” line was great.