What are the most fair and unbiased news websites?

They’re basically a mouthpiece for the Russian government, though. They have decent unbiased reporting on stuff the Kremlin doesn’t really care about, but they’re very pro-Russian and often very anti-Western on more controversial international issues.

While I’ve barely spent any time on their website, I recently started getting the print copy of The Economist. Most of their articles are pretty in-depth, and there’s very little bullshit like tributes to dead Glee cast members or anything like that.

The paper was started by the founder of the church in response to the “yellow journalism” at the time. This quote is from an article announcing the paper in The Christian Science Journal in 1908:

"It will be the mission of the Monitor to publish the real news of the world in a clean, wholesome manner, devoid of the sensational methods employed by so many newspapers. "

I use the CSM as my home page, and get most of my news listening to NPR and the BBC World News Hour.

rt is anti-us
cnn and bbc are pro-us , pro-nato
i like Channel news asia and to some extent al-jazeera.
channel news asia the most, it gives more indian and asian news , is the most unbiased i think.
in india, thehindu.com is most unbiased newspaper. times of india is the most read(most read english daily in the world i guess) but theHindu.com gives more serious less sensationalist news.

I worry less about bias and more about fairness and solid analysis. By those criteria I’d recommend The Economist magazine. Facts are presented as are opinions, but there is space for disagreement with the author for those who weigh the evidence a little differently. I also like the Financial Times.

Other sources include the New York Times and the Atlantic Monthly.

For truly unbiased coverage though, check out the China Daily, the official organ of the Chinese Communist Party. Sample headlines:

Happiness Abounds as Country Cheers.

And today: Economic restructuring, slowly but surely
China’s economic growth is stable and economic restructuring—that is, shifting China toward more consumption was progressing steadily.

Yuan influence on the rise worldwide:
Although the money markets have gone into a tizzy recently, More nations turn to Chinese currency for investment and trade settlement.

Italian winery moves East:
With a history of more than 200 years, one of Italy’s most prestigious wineries run by the Biondi-Santi family, is ready to embrace a larger presence in China.

Zhouzhuang to offer tourists more choices:
The ancient town of Zhouzhuang in Jiangsu province has shifted its tourism development from sightseeing to leisure and health.

China Daily reads like a lot of US small newspapers, soaked through with local boosterism. Except China’s town has a population exceeding one billion.

Nothing to do with the content of your post, but I’d be more inclined to read it if you would stick to the conventions of capitalization.

For unbiased news, I turn to MSNBC, Huffington Post, BBC.

Doublezombienews.com is quite unbiased, or so I heard. ducks

I’m fond of CBC myself, but maybe I have my own biases?

There’s no such thing as a “fair” or “unbiased” news source. So stop looking for one.

Instead, look for ACCURATE news sources. All newspapers, magazines and websites have biases, but I can live with that, as long as I believe the stories they break are accurate.

And thankfully, those aren’t hard to find. Even if I question their motives, I’ll generqlly believe what I read in most mainstream newspapers, including the liberal ones.

Some things are useful to have among your other news sites if you take them with several grains of salt. The AM radio stations that give all the news in 20 minutes? They are very fast but not necessarily 100% independent.
They can often be what the government wants you to know quickly to maintain public safety, but if you can recognize that and set up your internal filters to question appropriately, what they say can reveal a lot more than what was intended.

Yeah I gotta agree on RT. I was catching their newscast on one of my PBS stations and thought it was the best thing ever. Until I noticed that every time they would report on one of their former republics or the USA it was always sensationalist and negative.

I’ve never detected a bias from Reuters.

I read a lot of news from the Yahoo.com homepage feed. Usually its not news reported by Yahoo, but linked from places like Reuters, AP, or CNN. However, and maybe other people can tell me what the hell went wrong, in the past year I’ve noticed they have news stories and editorials from horribly biased sources. The first time I noticed this was when I clicked on a random headline that took me to an Ann Coulter editorial. I was like “WTF?!” Later, I noticed they link to a lot of stories from the Motley Fool, or The Blaze. I don’t know if its that new CEO they have, but they need to get back to pulling stories from BBC or CNN

Our two cents:
Politico, The Economist (when it deals with US news), PolitiFact, FactCheck.org
and recently found Unbiased America (on FB only). Oh, and AllSides.com has an interesting take by showing news stories and labeling them with the biases (Left, Center, leaning right) so you get the news and know what you are dealing with before you read the story. Kind of a cool idea.

Anyone who says Fox or MSNBC doesn’t understand their own biases.

Thanks, and good luck!

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing myself. Normally, I watch CNN or browse the web for news. Yesterday while on a machine at the gym I watched 30 minutes of Fox. Do those people really consider themselves journalists? Do they even claim to be reporting fairly or do they admit its just pandering to like-(narrow)minded people. I’ve never seen such a group of self-righteous assholes. I guess I’ll need to check out MSNBC next.