What besides butter can I put on my corn-on-the-cob?

If you can get your hands on some Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, you’ll have yourself a damn good ear of corn. I’m not sure about its availability in stores outside of Louisiana, but you can order it online.

Every real Cajun down here swears by it. You’d probably be hard-pressed to find a kitchen in Southwest Louisiana that doesn’t have a can of Tony’s laying around. It goes in numerous Cajun dishes (etouffee, jambalaya, etc). I also like to sprinkle some on cubed-up potatoes and bake them. Yummy.

Like a slab of cheddar?? EEeeoowww… :eek:
Parmesan doesn’t sound too bad though.

I’m not that deadset against butter, or the calories which really aren’t that much on a ear of corn anyway. I guess I was just looking for other options for variety. Good suggestions. I’ll have to pick up some of these at the store tonight. I don’t have any of them there fancy salts, and my lime juice is very, very thick, and old - I don’t think I’ll tempt fate by using anything from that bottle.

Creaky beat me to it. We always put Old Bay on our corn on the cob. A little butter, and a big sprinkling of Old Bay. Quite tasty.

Cutting out saturated fat is a smart move in ANY diet.

Cheese on corn? Odd. Anyhow, I’d second or third the suggestions of lime juice, salt and ground red chilies (or cayenne.)
Or if the corn is fresh and sweet, my favorite way to eat it is as is. There’s no better way to enjoy good-quality fresh corn. I especially like chilled corn on the cob.

Oh, and no no no on the lime juice from the bottle. Get a real lime. Please, for the love of fresh produce.

A little bit of mayonnaise mixed in with plain yoghurt.

I personally like paprika or chilli powder on my corn on the cob.

Yup, that’s what I use. I’ve seen it in nearly every grocery store the last couple of years (Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Indiana), so it should be easy to find. Go with the green can - the white is salt-free, and just isn’t the same.

And you can use this stuff on even more dishes than Old Bay, if that’s possible.

I spray on Liquid Amino’s, bought at a health food store. Yummie!

Why not just do 10 pushups and use that tab of butter? Even yummier…

-T

As a Baltimorean, I must defend my beloved Old Bay. You can use it on just about anything.

Schilling’s little packets of sloppy joe seasoning goes well with both corn on the cob and popcorn. See if your local grocery store doesn’t have a bunch of seasonings next to the popcorn - any of those would work, as well.

You can use Chacheres on Old Bay and on Chacheres itself. So there. :slight_smile:

Yes!! Tony’s makes everything good. I can’t cook without it.

Something else I’ve found if you want a sauce is HP Curry Sauce from Great Britain. Sooooo yummy.

DrMatrix is much too considerate to link this, so I will.
Chomp away, folks.
Bwahaha. :smiley:
That was mean. Mean, mean, mean.
I’m gonna pay for that.
BTW; I, too, like it plain, and raw if it’s really good and fresh.
Peace,
mangeorge

What are these boards coming to!? (To what are these boards coming?)
Ok. I’LL do it.

Mmmmm…corn.

Another vote for Old Bay and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. Also good on baked potatoes or french fries.

MMMMMM…so many good suggestions here for corn on the cob eating. I am going to try chula’s suggestion tonight!

Tony’s and Old Bay make a whole lot of stuff better, IMHO. Old Bay, drawn butter and distilled vinegar makes a great dipping sauce for seafood and I bet, would for corn. Hmmmm…might just have to have corn on the cob tomorow night too.

Swampbear…who was given a bushel of corn last night