What do they eat for breakfast in other countries?

You probably have to bite your lips to keep from laughing, when you actually talk a tourist into trying haggis.

The blood sausage should tell anyone that the breakfast is a joke. Nobody really eats that shit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Whenever we visited relatives in India we had anything from omelettes to idli sambar to chapati and jam. Sometimes tea biscuits. And at least one of those awesome mini-bananas.

It’s not breakfast unless it’s accompanied by piping hot tea with milk (buffalo at that time), though.

No, not really. It’s the “mushrooms” that usually take them out.

Black pudding , silenus, you know you love it. :smiley: And haggis.

Lentils and rice, it would seem.

Idlis.

They are meant for dipping. I like them like I like rice balls - to hold and eat. It’s comforting, somehow.

Yeah, they’re kind of flavorless in themselves, but the dipping stuff was okay. Still, a dosa is nicer. In my very humble opinion, of course.

But you don’t like bread. Freak.

When I lived in an all-female apartment/dorm in Kyoto, the Japanese girls would often have a piece of toast for breakfast. Only imagine a huge slice of white bread, the size of texas toast, lazily spinning in the toaster/microwave as a melted piece of processed-a-la-Kraft cheese warming on top. Makes me hurk a little to remember that.

When I was traveling in Germany the usual hostel breakfast offerings included cereal and milk, yogurt, a variety of breads, Nutella, jam, cold cuts, and cheese.

When I lived in Japan I ate cereal and milk, but this is not the norm. Although cereal is available in pretty much any grocery store in Japan, there’s not much of a selection and I think it’s considered more for kids than adults.

Based on what other people said to me, the main part of an ordinary Japanese person’s at-home breakfast is usually either 1) a bowl of rice or 2) toast. Eggs are pretty common too, and green tea is the traditional breakfast beverage. Some people pour green tea into their rice bowl and eat it like that.

Pancakes, French toast, and doughnuts are available at various restaurants and fast-food places in Japan, but I don’t know to what extent people make pancakes or French toast at home. Just like in the US doughnuts might be eaten for a snack at any time, and I’m not sure that they were even associated with breakfast at all in Japan.

Breakfast cereal reached Spain some… uhm… 30 years ago. Nowadays many people have that; previously, those same people would have a bowl of milk (or coffee/milk 50:50, or cocoa milk for the kids) with cookies; the cookies are less sweet than American cookies, British Digestives make decent Spanish breakfast cookies.

My family belongs to the half of the country whose stomach wakes up early, so we’ve always had some protein before the milk: a couple of slices of ham, serrano, chopped pork. Some people have a piece of fruit before the milk.

“Farmer’s breakfast” would consist of tons of bread to help push down the non-halal cholesterol.

There is a Mafalda (Argentinian) strip where she is refusing to eat her soup despite threats to miss dessert until her mother says “panqueques” (“this spoonful because I’m easily bribed slurp… this one because I’m so weak slurp…”) . I didn’t even know what pancakes were until I went to the USA, but as has been confirmed by some Argentinian colleagues surprised by seeing them as “breakfast food” in the US, they were used to having them as dessert.

Breads are very common in Europe, I’m told, e.g. a bagel or doughnut with your morning coffee. I watched a French film in French class and the teacher explained that coffee cups in France are soupbowls to make it easier to dip your breakfast bread in. I noticed the same thing in an Italian film.

In Korea, it’s kind of strange. Breakfast and lunch are similar, dinner is considered the small meal of the day. While I was there, it was customary to eat rice for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner. Rice, if eaten with dinner, was usually served after the main course with a little bit of soup as a kind of desert.

Lunch in Korea is usually some sort of meat dish, rice, side dishes, and soup. Breakfast is usually just as large, but without the meat dish. What Westerners would consider a light meal (e.g. a bowl of ramen, a sandwich,) was usually considered a snack by Koreans.

The problem with a lot of idlis and dosas from restaurants is that they don’t have time to ferment the batter properly because they’re making it in mass quantities. Dosas are tasty because almost the same type of batter that goes in idlis is fried as a crepe as opposed to steamed as a rice dumpling. Mostly they put something in it to make it fluffy and maybe some yoghurt, but you don’t get the taste.

Restaurant dosas are nice enough, but they don’t compare to what you get in a real south Indian home. The batter is fermented over a couple of days and both the idlis and dosas have a really noticeably tangy taste, exactly like sourdough but a bit stronger (which is basically what it is, since it’s natural fermentation) that pairs nicely with the spiciness of sambar or coconut chutney (its other accompanying condiment). Also, people do spice up the idlis with chopped chilis and coriander and such.

As a child I enjoyed many a fry up with Black Pudding - but I never asked what it was made of =- had ny parent’s told me that it was made mostly of blood I would have freaked out.
Blood & fat , in fact . Not the most appealing of ingredients but it is actually quite a tasty complement to bacon, egg & irish potato bread…hmmmmm…

I’d eat that everyday if it wouldn’t kill me in a month! It’s quite common to have an English breakfast on a Saturday/Sunday morning though, it’s very good for a hangover - which us Brits have frequently of course :slight_smile:

Black Pudding is one of my favourite foods ever, absolutely divine. If I don’t want a full breakfast I’ll eat it in a sandwich with spicy ketchup. Mmmm, blood and back-fat. My favourite German dish also has blood sausage, though a squishier kind. It’s called ‘Heaven and Earth’ and is mashed potato with apple (either mixed in or made into a sauce) with blood sausage on top. The combination of flavours is remarkable.

The other British (Scotish?) breakfast is smoked Mackrel, though it’s a special occasion type of thing. Partly because after you cook it your house smells for a week.

As for other countries, whenever I go to Norway the Hotels offer pickled herring - usually in a tomato sauce - for breakfast alongside the usual continental fare. It looks as horrible as it sounds and I have yet to try it, though my dad loves it.

Nothing like a dosa in the world. Yum!

I have gotten better at it and like some breads.

Indian bread is probably why I don’t much like Western bread. Western bread is all about subtle nuances, and the bread texture is thick and puffy and obstructs your enjoyment of what it’s holding together.

Indian bread is spiced strongly - no subtlety here! And is meant to be a foil to whatever you are eating.

You can also make a really flavorful rava idli instead of rice. I think rava is semolina. I usually make rava idli and mix in mustard seeds, chilis and yogurt, then steam. Of course, even rava idlis must be dipped or they’re too dry.

It’s amazing how sweet many American breakfasts are. I just had a ginormous muffin from a local bakery. Muffins are cake in disguise, especially bakery muffins. I enjoyed every bite, but I’ve definitely killed my sweet quota for two, maybe three days easily.

In the areas of China I’ve visited (Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Beijing), congee (rice porridge) was pretty much standard, with a number of side dishes – eggs (boiled or preserved), preserved vegetables, bits of preserved meat, and either steamed buns or a deep-fried “donut” stick. Sometimes you get warm soy milk, either instead of congee or in addition to it.

When I was traveling in Tunisia, it seemed like hard boiled eggs were always available for breakfast, at the hotels and in the marketplace. I saw some of the shopkeepers in the medinas buying them and eating them. Bread and yogurt seemed pretty common for breakfast, too.

In Spain I ate breakfast at a lot of diner-type local restaurants, and I always had the same thing: toasted bread brushed with olive oil and topped with ham, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. I’m not sure if it was a common breakfast, but it was always available, and others were having it, too.

I just taught an English lesson to Japanese kids and the topic of breakfast came up. I did a quick survey and rice with miso was the most common, followed by toast, then cereal. A lot of students ate natto (fermented soy beans) with their rice, too.

In Thailand there are a lot of breakfast options. First, they might eat a freshly cooked stir-fry dish on rice (cooked at home or in a small eatery/restaurant). Similar to that are the “rice with curry” shops, where you can get one or two choices of curry/stir-fry from a bain-marie, again served on rice. Chinese style fast-food is also popular: noodle soup, congee, or chicken on rice. The classic breakfast on the go, especially in the north and northest, is sticky rice with grilled pork skewers.

The situation is quite diverse in India.

There are a lot of people who have generic cornflakes with warm milk, but that’s kind of old-fashioned now.

Tea, buttered toast and a folded omelette with Maggi ketchup and green chilis wouldn’t be out of place in most places in India. I suspect this kind of breakfast came with colonialism. Before that, I suspect that fruits with some kind of rice porridge might have been a common breakfast.

In Bengali culture, it’s traditional to have a very small meal when rising – say tea and cookies or a handful of nuts and dried fruits – and then have a huge meal including fish curry and rice at about 11 o’clock. This would have been the biggest meal of the day. Dinner would have been after 9 p.m., and also have included fish and rice, but somewhat smaller.

In Bengali, the word for “breakfast” is “jolkhabar,” which literally means “water-food.”