What do you call people from...... Maine, Ohio, Nevada? Can we list them all?

IS there any other name for people from Indiana? Is Hoosiers the “official” term?

More importantly, is there any other state that has a “native title” that has no connection whatsoever to the actual state name? (In other words: most states are like Californian/California; but then there’s Hoosier/Indiana. Any others like that?)

There are two major sub-groups of Texans though. Tea-Sips and Aggies.

I was born and raised in Indiana (still here!). I’ve never heard anyone call our residents anything other than Hoosiers. What else would we be? Indianans? Indianites? Indians???

I’ve never been sure. So I just say “I’m from New Jersey.” :slight_smile:

What exit?

This question is, for some reason, one of the things that cracks me up most about living in New Jersey.

Depends on where you’re coming from–145 or 154. :slight_smile:

How about “Connecticutian”? Pronounced to rhyme with “Lilliputian”.

Arrrgg. I meant … oh, never mind.

Yeah, my brother lived in Brooklyn for a few years and when he came down to Houston to visit, he got pulled over for a traffic violation. (I was with him.) Hearing a Texan drawl with a New York license, the policemen asked him if he had moved there, just kind of making conversation. I thought Bro was gonna get off with a mere warning, but then the cop said he was just the other way around, moved to Houston as an adult, but came from New Jersey. Brother offers the what exit line. Ticket ensues.

I guess some people are more sensitive to such things.

While he lived in NY,NY, I just called him my Damn Yankee brother.

:slight_smile:

Apparantly, arond here anyways, Nebraskans were called Bug Eaters for a while. I guess it was a college team name dealy or something.

People from Maine and New Hampshire are the only ones I’ve heard of who use that term. It shows their fondness for us, I’m sure.

We’re Bay Staters to the rest of you.

Seattlites out here. When I first heard the name, I thought they were joking. :dubious:

I have lived in Indiana oall my life .

I have heard the wodr Hoosier all my life .

But what the hell IS a Hoosier ??? :confused: :confused:

Where did this word come from ? Why are we called Hoosiers ?

I’m confuzzled .

That is a matter of very serious debate, I don’t think anybody really knows. I’ve heard many different theories, though, none of which are very compelling.

:smack:

Newfoundlander!

I remember growing up calling people from Ohio, Buckeyes. Never heard of Ohioans or anything like that.

I was born a Hoosier.

Actually, it’s Quebecer or Quebecker (for anyone from Quebec) and Québécois (for a French-Canadian from Quebec). In French, Québécois can have either meaning; as an anglophone, I could call myself Québécois when speaking French, but not when speaking English.

As for the rest of them:

British Columbians
Albertans
Saskatchewanians
Manitobans
Ontarians
New Brunswickers
Nova Scotians
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians
Yukoners
Northerners (or people from the Northwest Territories)
Nunavummiut (singular, Nunavummiuq)

I normally associate Québécois as a French Canadian too. I thought Quebecer was more generic “from Quebec”.

I’m a New Brunswicker, but most people from NB aren’t that specific. We’re Maritimers.

Nova Scotians from Cape Breton can also user Capers.

People from Prince Edward Island usually shorten it all the way down to Islanders.