What does this IQ score mean (if anything)?

I scored a 134 which is pretty close to what I score on other quick tests. I haven’t taken a power test, though I’d like to.

I chose steamboat, because it’s the only one that doesn’t have an internal combustion engine (if I remember correctly from the choices). Airplanes sometimes do, especially smaller ones.

And many, perhaps most, IQ tests have a standard deviation of 10, not 15. You have to know what the standard deviation is before you can calculate how many people did better or worse than you.

I hate to urinate in the Wheaties, but these threads make me nauseous. They usually are in the Mensa related threads and most posts share this in common:

1. I’m really not a believer in IQ tests or Mensa
    (you’re not pretentious)

2. A friend/lover/co-worker encouraged me to join.
    (even your friends/lover/co-worker can see your raw intellect)

3. I was really ambivalent about the whole thing.
    (and modesty)

4. Relunctantly, I took the test. However, I’m not a believer in them.
    (mention the score: 154)

5. I found some errors in the test—whether a bias, or the potential for multiple correct answers. (reinforces the above qualites, and adds the dimemsion of depth) (Did I mention I scored 154?)

Taking these silly tests and posting scores in my view is only slightly more relevant and slightly less unseemly than posting the length of your member. (and it isn’t contextually lost on me that the average length would probably be 10")
If you don’t believe in them, why take the test?
And why post the score?

I scored 115. Though kinda low, that’s higher than I expected. I rushed through, guessing at a couple and skipping a couple more. I doubt the validity of the test.
IIRC, I scored 140 something back in grammar school. High enough to excite the nuns. :smiley:

Because it fun to take the test and talk about them. Probably the way it is fun for other people to get horoscopes done, play with a Ouija board or compare member sizes. :wink:

Gee, imagine people enjoying logic tests and posting about them if they are actually good at them. :wink:

Do you also complain if people are good at chess and mention their rating?

What is the difference in the end? Is someone getting hurt?

Jim

I posted my score simply because I suspect most here would consider the score result indicative of the inaccuracy of the test! :smiley:

I took the test as randomly as possible except for making sure I never selected the “I don’t know” answer to any question. It took me about two minutes to complete. I got a 60.

I would, but I’m not sure my IQ score would get me into law school. :wink:

I scored 130. But the SDMB is generally self-selecting to the upper end anyway.

I got 134. It seems I get that a lot online. I picked steamboat because it doesn’t travel on water. I picked “plant” for algeria because I figured SOMEONE had to have named a pretty flower “regalia” by now. For the “equitable” gas question, I picked whatever option was 1/3. The girl rode 1 part, he rode 2 parts. 1 part was 100 miles, if I recall correctly. It’s the same way I partition the bills among my housemates. If you live here for 20 days, you pay 20 parts. 30 days, 30 parts. Then again, what if you split the car 50/50 and the gas 33/66? Actually, I don’t think that computes to a round dollar amt.

Anyway, I don’t want to derail this so let me ask a separate question in another thread…

Is this the SDMB? Check.

Is this another IQ thread? Check.

Oh, and my cock is 13 inches long.

You piss in your cereal, but reading makes you puke (almost, anyway)?
Wow! That’s really cool! :cool:

I assume that you are joking but this is a good demonstration of what happens when people inflate their IQ (just a little in their minds).

An IQ of 184 equals a z-score of 5.6

The probability of that happening is 1 in 92,870,192. That most likely makes you have not only the highest IQ in your high school, your college, your city and your state but also probably one of the ten 10 highest scores in the U.S. I am not sure what the standard deviation is on penis lengths but that is probably up there as well.

No matter where you go on the web that has IQ discussions, people will subtly inflate (in their minds) their IQ score until your are looking at the 20 people with the IQ scores ever recorded. It has happened a number of times on this board. The irony is that anyone with a real IQ that high would understand normal curves and would immediately sense why going from an IQ of say 140 to an IQ of 170 is a drastic change in its implications.

A good rule of thumb is that anyone that claims to have an IQ above 145 is probably lying unless there are some extreme extenuating circumstance like a summa cum laude degree from Harvard. Anyone that claims to have an IQ of 170 or above is just a flat out ignoramus because that person can’t even understand what an IQ score is let alone why that score is almost impossible given the methods available. That person should be laughed out of the room in the same way that a car lover that claims his car can go from 0 to 100 mph in 2 seconds should be.

“0 to 100 mph in 2 seconds”
What was the ET of that car catapulted off an aircraft carrier back in the day?
Don’t count, huh. :wink:

Can anyone translate french for me?
Speaking of low IQ. Actually, it’s pretty cool.

I would knee-jerk call a “pop” IQ test garbage, because the ones you most often encounter are blatantly incorrect. I recall one, for instance, where answering every question completely randomly scored over 100, and where answering every question “wrong” was still an 80 (while the test was giving scores over 160 on the other end). Is this particular one garbage? I have no idea, but I’m not optimistic.

Oh, and on the vehicles question, I answered “steamboat” because I read the question too quickly, and didn’t see “airplane” listed as a choice. Which makes the question a lot easier :). And there was one question where I think “I don’t know” was the correct answer: The question about the husband losing his part-time job didn’t contain enough information for an answer.

From the “test”;
“Other things being equal”
Doesn’t that statement resolve the “difference in salary” question?

It did, if the husband was earning 20% of the family income, then the wife was earning 80% and 20% is 25% of her earnings. So the answer was a 25% increase in her earnings was needed.

For proof set the family income to 100K and work the numbers.

Jim

I was confused at first as to whether the husband had another job in addition to the part-time job he lost (and if considering this possibility, there is not enough information to answer the question), but decided the intent of the question was that he didn’t.

The WAIS, and the WISC, which are the tests most used in the US, have an SD of 15. The Stanford-Binet, which is used sometimes because it has a less-flat high score distribution than the Wechsler instruments, has an SD of 16. What tests are you thinking of?

I think there was at least one question where there was not enough available information, but that wasn’t it.

I just went through quickly and left every answer set to “I don’t know,” out of curiosity (I went looking to see which question I thought fit the above description, but quickly lost interest). If anyone’s curious, not answering any questions gives you a 60 result.