What exactly do ride operators at theme parks do?

Hey guys! Sorry to bring up a dead topic but I was just reading around and found this really interesting. Last summer I actually worked on a roller coaster called “The Racer” which is located at Kings Island near Cincinnati, Ohio.

It was truly one of the best summers of my life. Not only was it fun operating the rides but you meet a thousand new people everyday and although it may get annoying spieling the rules over and over you do meet some awesome guests that just absolutly make your day. You also grow a strong bound with your work crew considering you do work with them every waking hour during the summer (atleast thats how it feels), they have become some of the greatest friends ever.

Heres some photos:

This is our ride (white), like the name says…it races. It’s very large covering a ton of ground but isn’t the tallest or fastest going about 88 feet up and reaching speeds of up to 61mph. In the roller coaster world this ride is one of the most historic, if it wasn’t for the racer it’s possible roller coasters wouldn’t exist today.

This is me “clearing a train”…you see this at EVERY amusement park in the world. Once all the operators see that all restraints are locked, the control operator is looking, and all guests and employees are in their designated “green zones” then you simply put your thumb up and say “clear.” This alerts the control operator that the train is ready to be dispatched, the control operator will then say “all clear” and then it will be on it’s way. Simple right? Doing it over and over can get really boring, you must make the best of it.

In the picture above you can see that I’m also talking on a microphone, we call it spieling. Its a HUGE part of what we do and if you’re good at it can make the boring factor go down 99%. You use to not only to state safety rules but to have some fun…we ask guests how their ride was, tell them to enjoy it, and we also like to play games. It’s a excellent way to interact with guests.

Now in terms of how to operate the ride it gets more complex. At all Cedar Fair parks (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Knotts Berry Farm, lots more…) Your are trained at specific levels. These levels range from 1-3 with 1 being the heighest, like most jobs you must prove yourself to be efficient in one level to move to another. Everyone starts on level 3.

Level 3
Level 3 is simple, but theres usually a ton to do especially if you’re alone on the floor. In this position you have multiple tasks…you must look for kids that might be too short and measure them, check lap bars and seatbelts on your side, make sure all guests are behind the ride gates, let special needs guests in and save them seats, and you must be able to read park documents. While doing all this you must move the train out as fast and as safe as possible.

Level 2
Level 2 is alot like level 3 except all you do is check lap bars and press a simple green “dual button.” This button is linked to the dispatch button on the control panel, if both buttons are pressed simultaneously then the train will go but if only one button is pressed while the other isn’t then the train will stay at a halt. It’s just a safety feature to prevent accidental start-up.

This picture was taken at The Beast roller coaster but The Racer has the same set-up. In this position you must also give a “high clear” instead of a simple low clear you use in the level 3 spot. The only difference is you lift your thumb above your head to let the control operator know that you’re pressing in the dual button.

Level 1 a
Level 1 is in my opinion the best spot to work, and in order to get trained there you must show you know exactly what you’re doing. In this spot you have full control over the operation of the ride such as opening/closing the gates, opening/closing the lap bars, starting and stopping the lift chain, bringing the train in from the specific blocks in the brake shed, ride capacity, starting a dispatch and E-Stopping if needed (but as said earlier it’s a hassle if it’s not needed and pressed). The computer practically does everything in terms of the block system, meaning we can’t brake the ride ourselves-instead the computer does it for us.

We also have a computer screen that tells us exactly what the ride is doing and where the trains are. If theres a problem, a error message pops on the screen and tells us exactly what the problem is and where. The driver then must determine exactly what to do for the situation which can get so complicated I won’t explain here, it involves tons of code numbers and names that you have to call in. This is what makes the spot so difficult.

You can see here the control panel and the computer screen I was talking about.

Level 1 b
This isn’t really a spot, it’s more of an operation. In order to do this an associate has to be at least 18, why? I don’t know really. But we do this every time the ride is powered back on either in the morning or after a long delay. Basically what this test is testing is the automatic block system and making sure no train bypass into sections they shouldn’t. There has to be at least one block between each train so they don’t bump into another…so how do we test this? Simply put we try and crash the trains, if they crash it fails, if they don’t then it passes.
To my conclusion…working at a Amusement park is simply amazing, a perfect teenage job. Sure it only pays $7.40 an hour, but gaining the experience is well worth it and besides they give you PLENTY of hours (Every weekend in October I worked 9:15am to 1:am on Saturday, and 9:15 to 10:00pm on Sundays.)Yes, the job is demanding and it definitely puts your body through endurance standing in the heat for hours on end but the friends and people you’ll meet is simply awesome. For anyone debating a amusement park job, go for it.

Also, if you’re thinking about Kings Island…the work environment is terrific. ALL the supervisors and higher ups have been nothing but helpful and nice, they down
right make Kings Island a truly one of a kind place.

If you have anymore questions just ask!

Welcome to the boards, rcfreak339! While it’s not really a problem to zombify an old thread, especially if you’re adding a bunch of extra information, you might want to start a new thread called something along the lines of “Ask the Roller Coaster Operator” in the In My Humble Opinion forum.

In answer to the OP, the brakes on coasters are called “dead-man braking systems,” meaning if the operator would drop dead they would still work. The brakes are by default in the stopping position - they are only released when either the operator or automated system releases them. If power were to be lost, the brakes would return to the stopping position.

To **rcfreak339 **- I didn’t want to hijack you other thread but just thought I’d comment on your 1A and 1B. I was an operator at a west coast theme park about 20 years ago. Back then our park was transitioning to the computer screen system you are familiar with now. Imagine the lights and buttons on the original star trek show versus the touchscreens you see on modern star trek.

Our wooden coaster was manually operated in station. I don’t remember the full details anymore, but it required two station operators manually operating the station blocks to dispatch and return the train. The switched to a more automated system while I was there.

For your 1B we had some rides that mandated an 18+ to operate. One was the cable car and the other was the gas powered cars. Those required physically catching or moving cabins or hopping on and off moving cars. Not much fun if you are the only major in a department full of minors. Meant you never got to rotate to the fun coaster positions due to staffing.

What about places like Luna Park in Melbourne, Australia? The operator actually has to stand on the roller coaster while it’s moving. The ride is pretty tame, though. Looking at Wiki, it says the operator is a “brakesman”.

Thats the same for Racer…back when the ride opened they used a mostly manual system to operate brakes and blocks. It looked more like this: http://www.kicentral.com/history/photos/albums/userpics/10002/ConeyRacerInflatibleTheater(13June74).jpg

rcfreak339, were you cross-trained for the other coasters as well? Did you ever get to run the Beast (incidentally the best roller coaster in the world)?

The park I worked at, we only had one coaster, and it only had one train, which made things considerably simpler.

I have been crossed trained at multiple rides…

-Firehawk

-Flight Deck
http://www.coasterimage.com/pictures/albums/kings-island-pictures/roller-coaster-pictures/flight-deck-pictures/flightdeck01.jpg

-Diamondback
http://coaster-net.com/pics/pki/diamondback00252_carstenanderson.jpg

AND

-The Beast
http://www.britannica.com/coasters/images/orebirt005p4.jpg
The ride is pretty fun to work, I’m friends with a ton of workers there. Although, the ride isn’t much different than The Racer considering it’s the same type of ride.

I used to work on the Samurai when it was at chessington world of adventures (it’s now at thorpe park) and we used to have do things like check safety bars, choose the program for the ride and cause we were allowed to run the ride how we wanted we had to pick how fast we wanted it to go. It’s not a super easy job but its not really hard to do. :slight_smile:

double zombie or no

smoke cigs.

It’s interesting to see how different parks work. Where I work there are red badgers (14 and 15 year olds) and black badgers (16+).
Red Badgers work the first half of the day. When the red badgers are at work they are the ticket takers/attendants. They count people onto the ride, check hand stamps and height and help with checking lap bars. A lot of the rides also have an enable button that the attendants press to help start the ride. Next are the operators, anyone who is 16 and older.
Operators control the rides. They start the ride, help check lap bars if needed (most of the time they are), and when there isn’t a red badger the operators work the attendant spot and ticket take. We usually rotate between ticket taking and operating with the other employee/s at the ride every half hour to an hour so we don’t get bored. Most of the ride operators operate simple rides like teacups or samurai. There are only two roller coasters that most operators are allowed to operate.
Next are the crew members who are allowed to operate the big roller coasters and things like the slingshot and sky coaster. If someone is not on crew and works one of the crew rides then they are the attendant at that ride. The attendant for the crew rides can be both red badgers and black badgers. The crew members basically do everything that a regular operator would do excepts they don’t have to worry about the line. They are also in charge of the morning checks for the roller coasters which are more complicated than other rides. They have to time the cars and check the breaks and lift. (Break checks are the best thing to help with).
Next are the Team Leads. Team Leads make sure cleaning supplies are at all the rides in their area, they help with staffing issues so they open and operate the ride while they wait for someone else to cover the rest of the shift. They also give breaks to their area supervisor who is scheduled for one of the crew rides.
There are about 4 supervisors per area. Depending on what they are scheduled for one supervisor is in charge of doing there checks for the rides. (checks are done for each ride three times a day, first by maintenance then by supervisors and last by operators). They also make sure each ride in there area closes on time. The supervisor who does the ride checks is the one that roves for that shift. They just walk around their area to make sure all the rides are running smoothly and that the operators are doing their jobs. The other supervisor working that shift operates the crew ride for there area. Supervisors and crew members can also rotate positions at the rides.
Next are the coordinators and managers who are trained on every ride on the park. They mostly walk around there area of the park making sure everything is running smoothly and everyone is doing there job. They also help supervisors when needed. If something is wrong with a ride and the supervisor can’t fix it on their own a coordinator help them fix it. For example if a roller coaster train is stuck they help push it to get the ride going again or if a supervisor cannot clear a fault (alarm on the screen that will not allow a ride to start). When one of the big roller coasters is having problems coordinators are usually swarming the area.
I am only a regular operator for now so I guess compared to a Cedar fair park I would be somewhere in the middle of level 2 and 1a. I get to operate a whole bunch of rides but I don’t do any thing with the breaks or lift hill or anything more complex then basic operation.
Most of the rides are timed and stop on there own there are some that slow down but then require a hand break to be pulled to completely stop it. There are also two stop buttons and a foot pedal that can stop the ride. Like a lot of people have said the E-Stop should only be pressed when there is an emergency or it does cause a lot of problems with the ride. The E- stop will stop the ride right away instead of slowly coming to a stop like a ride does when the cycle is finished. The ride stop button is less severe and stops the ride like it would at the end of the cycle excepts it stops before the end of the ride cycle and if someone released there foot from the foot pedal it would do the same thing the ride stop button would do. I think the foot pedal mostly acts as an operator present. If the operator is not on the foot pedal (not present) the ride will stop because someone should be present watching the ride. All of these will cause a fault on the screen and require a supervisor to clear it… except maybe the ride stop.

I also work the Samurai but unfortunately I do not get to control the speed or the program. We don’t even do a test ride for all the programs because we will never run it in another program. We are only allowed to run it on the first program… but I get to control the rides music. That’s cool I guess.

Graham Parker explains in Fairground, a great little known song by a largely forgotten rocker:

Well the girl who takes the tickets
For the ghost train around the back
Looks a lot like Courtney Love
You know a real class act
And I’ll bet that that’s her boyfriend
Who runs the Hoopla stand
Maybe he’s a genius that no one understands
Maybe he’s an inventor
Clever with his hands
Right now he’s just small time
But he’s got big plans
Or maybe he’s just a shifty guy
That’s got a violent streak
Maybe he’s the one who murdered
That clown and and got away scott free

Let’s go down to the fairground
Before it’s up and gone
Get your tight blue jeans out
And try to get 'em on
Get 'em on

This sounds like the train drivers dead man switch.

If the operator is NOT there to hold it on, the emergency stop occurs…
Just as an side, since the concept is so similar… I did work at a place that manufactured these train driver test boxes… These days the train driver has to past a test, he has to press the switch on time… And I think a small bit of an IQ/reaction time test, by changing which button has to be pressed. This is so that a passed out or dead driver does not simply hold the switch on and so a very sleepy driver might start failing the test.