what exactly is an FBI "special agent?"

I think that, given the nature and standards of the FederalBI, it’s only fair to characterize those agents as “Special” Agents. I’d have a lot easier time getting on the local PD than working for the FBI…not just security clearance, either.

Robert Ressler, the author and pioneer profiler (He was among the first, he didn’t profile the Donner Party or anything) said much the same thing about them, including that they solve their cases “more through snitching than sleuthing.”

Qualifications aside, the FBI gets 70,000 applications per year and only hire a few hundred so getting in is an achievement on it’s own.

Many years ago, I read that in a memoir I had found in a Reader’s Digest collection of books (can’t recall what it was though). Anyway, the author mentioned having a couple of daughters who both wound up marrying FBI agents, and that one of the qualifications was that they be lawyers (qualifications to be an FBI agent, not to marry her daughters).

Yeah, but isn’t most crime solved more from snitching than from sleuthing?

But it was easy to get the feeling that they were highly positioned, the way they kept charging into AD Skinner’s office every other show, always with some bone to pick.

Anybody working for the government is an agent of the government, special agents are government law enforcement, hence the “special”. The Forest Service has special agents.