What exactly was in "Song of the South" that was so racist?"

http://www.disneyflix.com/ has hard to find Disney videos, both new and previously viewed. Last Christmas they had Song of the South for $150, but now I see that it’s sold out. Might be worth checking back occasionally, if you really want it that badly :slight_smile:

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Are we kin? Visit me at The Kat House and find out!
Join the FSH Muscular Dystrophy Webring

You don’t have to spend $150 for it! As I mentioned, I got it from the U.K. - they were very responsive and polite (a pleasure dealing with the Brits!) and e-mailed me immediately,giving the cost in pounds. I found a currency conversion site and discovered it’d cost me around $30. They didn’t have it in stock, but did a search for me (no charge if they didn’t find it). The name of the U.K. place I dealt with – Black Star Video. (It cost me $20 to get it converted)

It’s not available because Disney owns it, and, as with any ownership, they have the right to release it, not release it, or cease production.

It’s a private decision. They own it, so they can do pretty much whatever they want to, including just sitting on it.

There are two “Twilight Zone” episodes that are not broadcast, although the other 130+ episodes are. CBS, (who still owns TZ, I think) opted not to include them. Again, their choice.

Thank for the info guys- I will be trying to get a copy.
Mjollnir-
You wouldn’t know which episodes those are, would you? Is it another case of PC (e.g., dumping on our former enemies, now our allies) do you think?

Mushrooms always grow in damp places … and so that is why they look like bumbershoots.

The two that are not shown are “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” and “The Encounter.”

“Occurrence” was not “really” a TZ episode, but some European short that was shoe-horned into the TZ last season as a cost-savings measure.

“Encounter,” (also last season) is a PC situation. The character portrayed by George Takei (or his father) was a spy at Pearl Harbor just before the bombing. Apparently, some brass at CBS thought that might be offensive to the Americans of Japanese descent.

“Owl Creek” was left out, I think, just because they didn’t think it fit in well.

They are available on video, however.

I would like to have the complete set, since about five minutes of every episode is missing as shown on TV. Maybe some day.