What is the single funniest movie you've ever seen?

Ooh… good choice.

I’ve seen The Exorcist about 167 times, and it keeps getting funnier, EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT!

But seriously, Half-Baked, with that caveat that I was very likely under the influence of a mind-altering substance at the time.

Otherwise, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut was consistently hilarious all the way through, and remains so today.

The one movie that I can remember laughing until it hurt the first time I saw it was A Fish Called Wanda. It’s still one of my favorites, maybe even my most favorite, but like most comedies I don’t laugh quite so hard during subsequent viewings.

For me it struck the perfect balance - Monty Python-esque absurdity and silliness tempered with a bit of restraint and actual well-constructed story. The acting is all excellent, but Kevin Kline is just so gloriously, ridiculously dumb that he just leapt off the screen.

I was so excited to see that team reunite for Fierce Creatures but, alas, it seems that Wanda was one of those unreproducible happy accidents.

Monty Python’s The Life of Brian gets my vote. I just roared with laughter from start to end.

It would have to be Blazing Saddles, which wins because I saw it when it was first out, and not after all the lines had been repeated by all and sundry. It was so outrageously, in-your-face funny and zany that you couldn’t help laughing. In fact, when I looked around me at one point, people had tears streaming down their faces from laughing so hard.

The first time I saw Animal House was in a movie theater during its first run. It was also the very first time that I witnessed people actually falling out of their chairs laughing. We are all jaded now and expect those kind of jokes, but as a National Lampoon fan, the whole thing was beyond hilarious at the time. I watched it a few years ago, and it wasn’t quite as funny, but I was 18 when it came out. And there were substances involved in my experience of the first screening that weren’t there when I reviewed it in my 40s.

But, nevertheless, Animal House gets my vote.

I love a lot of the movies listed so far. It’s too hard to pick a favorite, but one of my favorite funny movies is Fear and Trembling, based on a novel by Amelie Nothomb. I also laughed a lot watching Human Behavior. Some old favorites that still make me laugh are Rushmore, The Jerk,, and The Party.

Oops, not Human Behavior. *Human NATURE. *

Other than the ones already mentioned, I’ll add:

Grizzly Man. Unintended funny but it’s the movie I’ve laughed out loud at the most recently.

From the past, Head Office. Why this movie isn’t a cult classic is beyond me. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. You’ll thank me.

I also thought The Adventures of Ford Fairlane was funny.

“The Gods Must Be Crazy” from South Africa. I laughed so much my throat locked up. Don’t watch it alone.

I was going to go with Noises Off! until **carlb **reminded me of A Fish Called Wanda. The first time I watched that, I laughed myself breathless.

The former is still more-quoted around our house though. My husband just started a new job, and we haven’t done all the paperwork yet. So last weekend at the park, when the kids were climbing a giant rock, I said, “Try not to fall down - we may not be insured.” Also, whenever we’re trying to give directions to someone and they get all garbled we proceed with "Climb through the . . . *Shin *down the . . . "

*Airplane *for me.

Airplane!

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You’re Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.
Roger Murdock: I’m sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I’m the co-pilot.
Joey: You are Kareem. I’ve seen you play. My dad’s got season tickets.
Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?
Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he’s not bothering anyone, let him stay here.
Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is
[showing his nametag]
Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I’m an airline pilot.
Joey: I think you’re the greatest, but my dad says you don’t work hard enough on defense.
[Kareem’s getting mad]
Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don’t even run down court. And that you don’t really try… except during the playoffs.
Roger Murdock: The hell I don’t. LISTEN KID. I’ve been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I’m out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes

Some great comedies here, but my all time favorite is The Muisic Box starring Laurel and Hardy. For some reason, the line “He kicked me in the middle of my daily duties!” never fails to make me chuckle. I guess it’s the seven-year-old in me.

There’s Something About Mary

Mmm, tough call. I’m going to have to go with Ghostbusters.

I always imagine them pitching the idea. “So people like me ask people like you to put up some money – and then bad acting meets bad directing, at which point it looks like a flop you wouldn’t expect to make a penny – which is why the get-rich-quick scheme only works if a lot of suckers like you buy into the con. What’s that? Why, yes, I met with another potential investor this morning; I’m meeting another one this afternoon.”

Must have been the most awkward conversation ever.

Still, the bonus absurdity points for letter-perfect delivery from a serious-minded cast means I’ve got to give Airplane! the win.

I read this whole thread thinking “Holy Grail was really funny, but did I laugh the whole movie? Hmmm, I liked Blazing Saddles a lot. Enjoyed * The Villain*, but was it the funniest?”

and then I hit your quote and I knew that “The Gods Must be Crazy” was my choice too, from the damn jeep/land rover in the tree to the fire-fighting rhino, I thought I would explode from laughing.

My vote goes to “Being John Malkovich”. :stuck_out_tongue: My sides hurt the next day.

I also enjoyed “Airplane”, “This Is Spinal Tap”, and plenty of others.

Super Troopers.