What science fiction series have FTL travel but no intelligent alien life?

You could be right, but it’d be a tough fit - but since this is a hijack, I’ll drop the topic here, and maybe start another thread sometime to discuss this in detail

Although we don’t know officially if they have FTL. The humans that left Earth that Was may have used a near light-speed ship to get the Firefly multi-star system.

At least from Serenity and the Series as far as I can remember. I have’t read the comics and other stuff.

Good point: I’d forgotten the FTL requirement in the OP.

Though it’s an open question just what exactly Virtual-Six, Virtual-Baltar, and the entity which does not like to be called “God” really are.

I was thinking about extra-solar critters. I won’t believe any of the Methuselah’s Children lore until Hazel Stone herself parks outside and gives me a nice back rub.

The anime series Cowboy Bebop has FTL Gates but no aliens. In an unusual twist, they have FTL but are also confined to the Solar System.

Melissa Scott’s Silence Leigh trilogy has FTL, no aliens.

IIRC Vonda McIntrye’s Superluminal had no aliens, but did have FTL good enough that there’s a station at “the edge of the universe”; complete with a bar that has a huge window that shows nothing but blackness, an infinity of starless space.

I recall an obscure novel; A Matter of Oaths by Helen S Wright; FTL, no aliens.

Hyperion?

I don’t remember any. There are the Ousters, who are alien in form (myriad) and culture, but they are self-altered humans. Also, the TechnoCore are human-created AIs (or not created by humans, it’s complicated…), but also serve as an “alien” culture.

There are several species mentioned, and I can’t remember if they’re sapient-intelligent or not, like the “balloon” species on… Jupiter, maybe?

If you’re talking about Dan Simmons, that’s only mostly correct. The majority of the region has been colonized by humans, but there are a handful of aliens around. It is true that many of the apparent aliens in the story are actually human or modified humans. (I was actually thinking of this one, but it has to be ruled out).

There may not be any actual sapient non-humans around, so it probably does qualify. I forgot about the ‘intelligent’ alien life requirement.

Actually, at the very end of the series, one character is revealed to have been an alien all along - the only intelligent alien in the books.

Legend of Galactic Heroeshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes

Most obvious: Isaac Asimov’s Foundation and his Robot books. I think he was working on an explanation for that when he died.

Jack McDevitt’s books went on for years without meeting intelligent aliens, though there were signs of them. He eventually met up with them, though.

I googled this because I could have sworn they did actually encounter alien aliens at one stage but the closest it seems is mention of the “Pan-Dimentional Beast from the Mogydon Cluster” in an episode. It’s not seen on screen however, and there’s not enough information to say humans didn’t create it either.

Which one? I don’t recall this…

A. Bettik - the blue-skinned android they encounter on Hyperion, who later plays a bigger role in the *Endymion *books.

I know what they were, a cop out Bullcrap ending.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself…

There was nothing at the end of BSG that wasn’t carefully built up throughout the entire series’ story arc. The fact that you didn’t like it doesn’t mean that it was copout.

Actually I think there was. After Asimovss death, his Estate Hired the Hard SF Three B’s ( Gregory Benford, Breg Bear, and David Brin) to witer 3 more novels about “Foundation” and aliens who were destroyed by robots lead by R. Daneel Olivai who were sent out in space and terraform for human colonization.

Were the robots, including Daneel Olivai, tied into the Foundation universe in Asimov’s first three books, or did that happen only in the sequels?