What was your first rock concert?

Oh God, here we go…Hall and Oates - 1982, War Memorial, Syracuse, NY. I was 12 and my brother was 7. They were his favorite band (he had been into pop music since he was 4) so my mother took us to see them.

Wanna hear something scary? I’m going to see them next month, too, which will make a total of three times. (I can’t believe I just said that out loud). :o

You think you’re old? Mine was Cream, Chastain Park in Atlanta. October 1968.

The Born in the USA tour in 1985, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at the Meadowlands, once known as the Brendan Byrne Arena. Now, like most arenas, it’s named after a bank or airline or something.

I like the small venues now.

Biffy – mine was San Diego Sports Arena, winter of 1970-71. (Point Loma High School, class of '72 – where’d you go to HS?)

Labdad, okay, since I’m 48, I’m guessing you’re about…50? :wink:

Styx, Rupp Arena, 1978.

Yeesh.

Before Rock concerts there were “shows.” I went to the Brooklyn Fox Theatre in ‘60 to see Murray the K’s "Swingin’ Soiree" This show included the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Drifters, (w/C. McPhatter), and Screamin’ Jay Hawkins.
First real Rock Concert was the Doors, with the Who opening, in '66 at the Singer Bowl, (built for the '64 Worlds Fair).

Kansas/Molly Hatchet, Boston Garden, around 1980-81 (Audiovisions Tour)

Yeah, and change.:frowning: Incidentally, I also saw the Who on the Who’s Next tour. Tuscaloosa, Alabama, aroung spring of '72 I imagine - it was an excellent show! But that wasn’t the first time I saw the Who. It was the summer of 1970 at the old Atlanta Municipal Auditorium. The van carrying their gear broke down and they were about and hour and a half late. To make up for it, in addition to doing their Live at Leeds set, they also played Tommy in it’s entirety! Now that was an excellent Who show!!

Whitesnake, with Great White opening. Feb. 11, 1988, Rosemont Horizon.

Still have the shirt I bought at the concert.

My mom took me to see Paul McCartney in 1995 (I think). I believe the year after that we went to see the Eagles in the Hell Freezes Over tour.

My mom is cool. :wink:

When, exactly, did “rock concerts” come into existence? In high school, we used to go to dances where the Crystals, or The Four Seasons, or Chuck Berry for that matter, performed, in the early sixties. But these were as much dances as concerts. My first attendance at a gig where you had stay in your seat was a Beachboys show in '64 or '65. Naturally, the “kids” were dancing in the aisles. There was no dope usage, however. That I did not see until attending…hmm…I guess it was…can’t really remember…so many…so much…

I must have seen the Beach Boys on the same tour that RealityChuck did because it was in 1967, but my memories are entirely different.

They were the headline act over Tommy James and the Shondells and the Buckinghams. It was in an 8,000 or so seat auditorium and every seat was filled. The girls all screamed exactly like they do in all those Beatles clips you see from the Ed Sullivan show.

The Beach Boys did a million hits. It was only a few months after “Good Vibrations” hit number one, so I can’t imagine they were seen as hasbeens even though that the was last of their superhits.

A great concert. I’ve seen the Beach Boys two or three times since and they always put on a terrific show. The last time I saw them there were huge numbers of kids in the audience younger than I had been in 1967 and they sang along knowing all the words. Hard to imagine that will happen on Whitesnake’s 2017 reunion tour. :dubious: :smiley:

Summer of 1966. The Beatles, The Cyrcle and Bobby Hebb. There was thunder and lightning, but no rain, the tickets cost $5 and it was a great concert. I still remember it clearly though I can’t tell you what I did yestderday. Can somebody please help me up?

Twickster we are the same age. :stuck_out_tongue:

Madness at the Palais in St Kilda. Early 80s. Great show. The bass player jumped into the orchestra pit to stop a fight. I wore a skinny, knitted tie (amongst othe things).

Crawford, class of '73. (Also went to summer school at Patrick Henry one year.) And I was at that Who concert, too! Remember how, when they did the taped electronic parts in “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’Riley” the lights simply went out? That was before the days of the laser light effects…

Fourth of July, 1994, New Orleans.

Stone Temple Pilots.

Absolutely fantastic show!!

A lot of good things happened on the Fourth of July.

Santana, for my birthday, 1970. Rockin’ good time.

And for those of you that actually saw the Beatles, I’d be willing to have sex with you just for the osmosis-contact-high thing. Really.

My first concert was to see Van Halen on their 1984 tour in, well, 1984. David Lee Roth was still with the band then. I was fourteen at the time. We were in the nosebleed section and therefore a long ways from the stage. Still had a good time, though.

a-ha, August 1986, I think. Do they count as rock? If not, a couple of years later I saw Oingo Boingo.

The main thing I remember is when they turned all the lights around and shone them on us and we all jumped up and down and screamed. During “Behing Blue Eyes,” perhaps?

(I was with my stepsister, a short blonde, on the floor on the left, about halfway back. You might have seen me – long dark brown hair, silver-rimmed glasses…)