What young, hot, currently successful actresses will still be successful at 50-plus?

Seeing as I’ve only caught her on a few episodes of Firefly and Terminator…you mean she’s actually done a role where her acting surpasses that of a cardboard cutout? Seriously, she needs to get a high-profile active role. Something with emotions.

Before you start screaming at me, like I said, I’m a casual viewer who has only seen her in a couple of episodes of 2 series that happen to be her most high profile roles. Titanic was Winslet’s most high profile role, and people could see how great she was. Ellen Page’s most popular role is Juno - again, people can see how she can act.

Portman’s the obvious choice… shoulda just put her in the thread title.

I’d like to give a nod to Amanda Seyfried. Her Lily Kane was a rich, white, egocentric bimbo and I loved her, and not just because of the short shorts. Haven’t seen her in anything else but Mean Girls, in which I thought she was funny.

Dakota Blue Richards and Abigail Breslin seem to be prodigies. Emily Osmet is another one to watch.

Funny, I just finished watching Bleak House last night and thought she was great in that. Had never seen her prior.

Zoey Deschanel just beats the deadline (she turns 30 later this month). I can see her having a Goldie Hawn type career. She also a damn good singer.

In 1966, when Sally Field was flying around in a nun’s habit, would anybody have guessed SHE’D be a successful actress with two Oscars twenty years later?

When Hillary Swank was starring in “The Karate Kid 4,” did anyone look at her and say, “THERE’S an actress with multiple Oscars in her future?”

When you saw Johnny Depp in “Nightmare on Elm Street,” was there any reason to think he had an unlimited future ahead of him? Or even that he’d be a bigger star than Heather Langenkamp?

Yeah, I admit, this is a complicated way of saying, “I dunno. And neither do you. There are too many factors (including pure dumb luck) for us to make a decent prediction.”

Eliza Dushku-she’s hot now and will get better with age.

I wonder of Kiera Knightley will attain that kind of sexy aloof older British woman thing that the likes of Kristen Scott Thomas have going on. Or maybe that’s just my wishful thinking.

And you can all knock off knocking my Kate W, she’s a goddess.

While she’s out of the range of this thread (I’m surprised to see she’s 37) I think Jennifer Garner has the talent to break out of the lightweight films she’s been making and do some serious drama. From what I’ve read, she’s highly respected in the movie business as a professional.

The reason I specified hot in the thread title is that, for many actresses, physical attractiveness is the largest part of their appear. No one seriously thinks that that girl from Transformers whose name I don’t know is going to have a career once gravity and entropy take their toll on her, for instance. Consequently, I think it’s off-topic to discuss persons like Abigail Breslin. I mean, I love her as a performer, but when I look at her I think talented little girl, not yowza! Whereas with Natalie Portman, I definitely think, hottest woman currently living in addition to gifted thespian.

Evan Rachel Wood definitely belongs on the list.

Natalie Portman is an obvious choice. Emily Blunt, gorgeous and extremely talented. She’ll be around for ever. Ellen Page, super cute and a great actor with great range. She’ll have traction too. Knightly is another obvious choice. I can’t see Scarlett Johansson having a deep career. She’s smoking hot but she is an extremely limited actor. Amanda Seyfried has enormous potential as does Kristen Stewart. Abbie Cornish is already a huge actor down under and has reams of talent. Kat Dennings may have a chance at a long career too if she gets some meatier roles. Another chick who I find smoking hot is Mila Kunis. I don’t see her doing much more than comedies or comic book movies though. The fact that she’s been dating Macaulay Culkin for years does make me puke in my mouth a bit.

In the too young to be hot category you have Fanning and Breslin, Breslin being the more talented of the two I’d say and Isabelle Fuhrman. I don’t know if anyone saw the movie Orphan. The movie is okay but Isabelle Fuhrman’s performance is stunning. Absolutely stunning when you realize this girl turned 11 during filming.

Damn straight. I forgot about her.

I doubt that. She’s been acting since before Buffy, and she’s still not all that great on Dollhouse. She’s not awful, but not great, and not good enough for her looks to carry her through the decades.

Quoth my wife as we were leaving the theater after seeing Zombieland

“I feel kind of dirty saying this, but Abigail Breslin is hot!”

That reminds me. Emma Stone is another one who has a great chance of having a long acting career.

If those pictures are the best they could do, she didn’t have a nose job. I see no detectable difference. She’s just not smiling in the second picture, and the lighting’s different.

Seriously, if that’s the best they can do, I could show you two pictures of ME that would show my nose as being at least as “different” as that.

[off topic]

Why? He got lucky and starred in a huge film. People loved him and loved the movie because of him. He starred in a sequel that had its moments but the movie itself couldn’t capture lightning in a bottle for the 2nd time. He starred in a few other films, some good, some not. He had the misfortune of having a father who was an insane control freak and that stopped his career in its tracks. He went to school, grew up, made a few more films, got married, divorced, did some television and is now dating Mila. What’s worth throwing up in your mouth? Considering his freaky childhood and crazy father, he’s done pretty good to stay sane, and he seems like a nice guy. And he was great in Saved!

These barely make the 30 year old cutoff
Sara Rue
Katee Sackhoff
Felicia Day
Freema Agyeman

These are younger than the above
Yvonne Strahovski
Blake Lively
Billie Piper

Has Ellen Page ever played anything besides “precocious teen”, usually including an attitude that would be cringe-inducing in an adult? So far I haven’t seen anything to suggest she’ll have a career once she’s no longer physically believable as a high school student.