What's Spider Robinson doing these days?

Then you probably shouldn’t have posted at all.

I’m glad. Because unless you actually know him, all we’d hear is an opinion on his writing.

I knew Jeanne a little better than Spider but I can tell you that two nicer people you’d never meet. Kind, considerate, mindful people. For an idea of what kind of folks they are, I point you to Terri-Luanna’s amazing blog at http://www.gracefulwomanwarrior.org/ …because they raised a hell of a daughter.

I’ve gotten PMs already from a couple of people asking about the auctions I’ll be doing and what I’m going to be looking for. Thanks very much!

[request for help deleted]

Thanks,
Jan

That was a pretty stupid post I made, actually, and I apologize. Yes, I just meant an opinion on his writing. Read Callahan, enjoyed it, but got strange at the end and I didn’t pursue other books. That’s all.

Resistance is futile.

Then you missed pretty large parts of the book.

This…is retarded. Seriously–it’s some of the dumbest anti-science rants I’ve ever had the misfortune to read. Note that it’s exactly the same argument that anti Global Warming types, anti-evolution types all make. "

Later in the book, after, after aliens intentionally blow up the sun, he spews this:

Yeah, after Pearl Harbor, think how well that drivel would have gone over “Be sad :frowning: and feel bad :frowning: but don’t get mad at anyone.” :rolleyes:

That said, I have a lot of sympathy for Robinson. I think his later work is crap, but man–losing your wife and daughter would be rough.

I didn’t catch the edit window in time. My last sentence should have read:
That said, I have a lot of sympathy for Robinson. I think his later work is crap, but man–losing your wife to cancer and then having your daughter get it would be rough. My opinions of his writing have nothing to do with my feelings for him as a human being. (And he’s still the best book reviewer F&SF has ever had)

Welcome to the SDMB, JanMSchroeder. I understand that you’re posting out of concern for Mr. Robinson, but you’ve actually broken a major rule here, as laid out in our registration agreement:

Because he is a public figure, I’m leaving the links to the two blogs – which I could remove if I were being a true hardass – but I’m going to ask you to refrain from using the SDMB as a platform to recruit money or help for your fundraising activities.

If people want to contact you directly, that would obviously be an option, since I’m leaving you as an active member rather than banning you as a spammer (as, again, I could do if I were going to be a hardass about this).

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

twickster, for the SDMB

Just for the record, if you look back, I registered and posted a response to the question on the 8th. The reason I did so was because it showed up on a Google search I have for Spider’s name. As you can see, there’s no spam there.

Once I found out what the situation was, I returned today and posted the link here about what was happening with Spider in his own words which had a direct bearing to the original

point made.

As a moderator, I’m certain that you are more than aware that my ‘pattern’ is far from the usual for spammers. I don’t generally have fundraising activities but since I responded to the question and linked to an entry where I was directly named it would have seemed pretty odd to not mention that help would be appreciated.

I understand that you need to do as you see fit but I don’t accept any attempt to paint me as any kind of spammer when my posts have been far more informative than rule-breaking.

As I tried to make clear, I’m not treating you as a spammer, which would have involved banning you and disappearing your posts. I’m merely asking that you not use this thread to directly recruit people to donate money or objects for the auction, which is against our registration agreement.

Again, I appreciate your cooperation with my ruling.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator