What's the matter: time travel paradox

Actually, I do see a problem with this. The problem is that the mass of material that made up The Terminator in the future already exists in the past. It exists in the present up until it gets put into The Terminator, and sent back in time, never to return.

But one thing about The Terminator movies. They initially sent one back in time to kill Sarah Connor. As soon as they sent it back in time, if Connor Jr. didn’t immediately cease to exist, then they would know that The Terminator failed. What would they then do? Send back another Terminator, and another, until the job was done. Just because you defeated one, doesn’t mean you are safe. More are on the way.

I like to harken time to the 4th dimensions theory that was mentioned above, which makes you wonder what it would be like to live in the 2nd dimension. But I digress.

If we existed in the 4th dimension, then time would be an object to us that could be melded and formed, just like we meld and form matter in our dimension.

If we introduce special relativity we find that your statement isn’t strong enough, because a) mass is not a conserved quantity and b) There is no such thing as a “given moment” in the universe due to the failure of simultaneity. However within the confines of special relativity your statemnt can be altered so it still holds (i.e something along the lines that energy is always globally conserved in a given reference frame thus time travel is impossible)

The problem arises when we go from the flat spacetime of special relativity into the curved spacetime of general relatvity and you now find that the new statement is no longer strong enough to rule out time travel if there exists closed timelike loops.

At the moment there is no known way to completely rule out the possibilty of time travel as there are solutions to general relativity which contain closed timelike loops (even though those situations aren’t physical).