What's your favorite Mel Brooks movie?

The Producers for Gene Wilder’s first filmed anxiety attack, for Zero Mostel’s Groucho Marxing the ladies, and the Busby Berkeley-choreographed Springtime for Hitler.

The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

These three are pretty much tied for me, but I went with Blazing Saddles because of its overall silliness and absurdity.

:dubious:

Igor: Dr. Frankenstein…
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: “Fronkensteen.”
Igor: You’re putting me on.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it’s pronounced “Fronkensteen.”
Igor: Do you also say “Froaderick”?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No… “Frederick.”
Igor: Well, why isn’t it “Froaderick Fronkensteen”?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn’t; it’s “Frederick Fronkensteen.”
Igor: I see.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
[He pronounces it ee-gor]
Igor: No, it’s pronounced “eye-gor.”
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was “ee-gor.”
Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren’t they?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What a filthy job.
Igor: Could be worse.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: How?
Igor: Could be raining.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What knockers.
Inga: Oh, thank you doctor.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Goodnight, Frau Blücher.
[horses whinny]

Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
Inga: Voof.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You know, I’m a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.
Igor: What hump?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Igor, help me with the bags.
Igor: [Imitating Groucho Marx] Soitenly. You take the blonde, I’ll take the one in the toiben.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby… Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I’m almost sure that was the name.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [chuckles, then] Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?
The Blindman: Wait! Where are you going?.. I was going to make espresso!

It was a tie between Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein until I realized that there is no way in the green earth that Blazing Saddles could ever be made today. So my vote went to Blazing Saddles.

Excellent point. Quentin Tarantino might try but has he had any real success at comedy?

But you know what might be a fun idea: recast Blazing Saddles from today’s crop of actors.

Might even make a fun thread!

Nobody quotes "SED-A-GIVE?!?"

Young Frankenstein is both wildly funny, and a lovely tribute to classic Hollywood.

I never got it either. I’m usually pretty easily amused, but it just seemed like a normal Frankenstein story except with bad dick jokes and bogged down pacing. The only line from John DiFool’s post that I liked was the knockers pun, and that was more of a pained groan.

My favorite genre of movies is Classic Horror so, of course, Young Frankenstein.

I would love to say The Producers second, but much as loved it when I was a kid, most of it does not hold up. I assume Mel didn’t direct the remake as no one questioned its exclusion from the poll.

So I’d say Blazing Saddles 2nd, Spaceballs a very close 3rd (the Alien J. Frog & Pizza the Hut had me literally falling out of my chair laughing), & Dracula Dead & Loving It a distant 4th. Love At First Bite reigns as the best Dracula comedy & DD&LI, while fun, ain’t no LAFB or Young Frankenstein by a long shot.

Interestingly, DD&LI is practically a remake of Lugosi’s Dracula with occasional nods to Hammer & Coppola & even Badham at the end.

The duet from that movie provided me with one of my very most favorite moments at the movies every.

It was, how shall I say, well … absolutely delicious!

Yeah, this poll easily could’ve been “Which do you like better? Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein?”

Most of the other movies are good, some of them great, but it’s going to come down to those two.

He cast Teri Garr as Inga. Doesn’t that tell you something? This man has vision. Great vision! He has foresight and he appreciates great knockers!

Surely everyone can appreciate that level of taste and foresight. His taste was just delicious! Delicious thru and thru.

I would have thought it would come down to Young Frankenstein or The Producers. But I could be wrong. It has happened before and it looks like it’s happening again. Aww, Shit!

I just want to congratulate Fear Itself for creating such a great thread.

Well done!

The Producers got my vote - great story, amazing cast and how can you not love a film with a show within a show called “Springtime For Hitler!”? BTW, that film was a huge hit in Germany and it was not titled “The Producers”, it was titled “Springtime For Hitler” - which was pretty funny to see on movie theater marquees over there! I even liked the musical version - not as good as the original, but still quite funny.

However, being a Hitchcock fan, I also thought “High Anxiety” was very funny. In a recent interview, he mentioned that he screened the film for Hitch, who watched and didn’t say a word afterwards - but later sent a case of (fine wine or champagne?) and a note that he enjoyed it immensely.

I do recall seeing Blazing Saddles when it first came out (yes, I am as old as dirt), but it was at my college and you could get a contact high from the weed being smoked and the audience was laughing too hard to understand all of the dialog.

Young Frankenstein and The Producers are probably better movies, but Blazing Saddles is my favorite.

Young Frankenstein. Saw it again recently and laughed my ass off all the way through.