"When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Origin? Source?

A 1948 newspaper citing from the same writer as in the 1955 one about the (Naval) War College football team cry. He told the same story in a 1948 column.

My Google-fu found http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=8475

I have found no corroborating evidence, however.

How odd that this version of the phrase had a hit in NY, considering that I’m from (mainly) the midwest. scratches head I doubt that I would have heard it from my grandpa (who was in the Navy circa… er… Korean War era if I remember correctly), but I would have heard it either being said or in a book.

The phrase is a parody of another phrase, something telling you not to panic. I think it was in an old BSA handbook.

“Spider” John Koerner. Stuff yer cites. “Spider” John Koerner. Send him some money.

“Spider” John Koerner for easy reference. Info also available on allmusic.

No, no he didn’t. :dubious:

You can find it, along with other amusing bits of rhyme, in one of the two collections illustrated by Wallace Tripp: Marguerite, go wash your feet or A great big ugly man came up and tied his horse to me. IIRC, there was no attribution. I’m pretty sure it’s in Marguerite, and will check it if I go to my mom’s place for dinner. Meanwhile, every Doper would enjoy both books, so go check them out of your friendly neighborhood public library…

Do these volumes predate the 1920’s?