When we all died.

So you’re saying we should all be allowed to have nukes if we pass an NRA course?

Cool!
Conceal and carry is gonna be a bitch, though.

I an only assume that Gonzomax has me on ignore, since he clearly isn’t reading anything I post.

A nuke is a tool. A tool of death and war, yes, but a tool nonetheless. The only time tools of war become harmful is when they are placed in the hands of madmen or Skynet.

I believe the consensus today is that short-term survival wouldn’t mean much if almost all of the initial survivors starved or froze to death within a year because of the destruction of the production and distribution systems.

Are we taking about global thermonuclear war, or nuking a single city? Hiroshima came back surprisingly quickly, admittedly from a small weapon.

Michigan . it was in Rouge Park. we saw it come in and watched them drop the missiles into the ground. there was a huge metal plate on the ground. As a kid it was fascinating to think about.

I’d swear my Father showed me minuteman silos in Arkansas, but Wiki doesn’t show any. Most of these went in less populated areas under represented in the House of Representatives. :slight_smile:

There used to be some Titan II sites in Arkansas. Perhaps it was one of those.

The same banal tautology is equally true of earthquake, epidemic of conventional war.

Do you also think that it’s pointless telling your child how to avoid disease on the basis of a worst-case scenario?

Thanks, Buckner. I remember domes covering them that he showed me from the car.

There was no dome. After awhile they put a crappy chain link fence around them. But since we saw the missiles, We knew they were there.
They did not even treat it like a military site. No guards, no towers, nothing.

I recall the fence and no towers or guards, anyway. Were the missiles underground? What covered the pit?

Google is my friend.That’s it.

A video shows the launch and interception of a re-entry vehicle. The kill was achieved by a nuclear warhead, not a kinetic impact. Note that this is in real time:

You note that the Sprint becomes white-hot from air friction at the end of the second stage burn. From 0 to Mach 10 in five seconds in the early 1970s.

I ran into the Sprint program director in North Carolina about 12 years ago. After finishing up on the program, he took a pottery class for two weeks and decided to switch careers. Somehow, I mentioned the word “ablative” at his shop and we had an interesting conversation for about 20 minutes.

Nope. It had no presence that could be seen from a hundred yards.
D-69 Nike Missile Launcher Site Rouge Park - Detroit, Michigan Here is a picture. Note it is a Nike base.

Nile Missile Locations Michigane I may be old but my memory is fine.

That’s a lot of help seeing it from the roadside, dude. :rolleyes:

Ah

Here we go

The red rectangle shows where the site was. I suppose even with rolling your eyes, you can see there was no tip off. You are looking at the school. We knew where the site was and used to dare each other to run across the launch site. We thought they had some secret way of getting us if we did.