Where does change go?

Change does not go, change comes from within.

I spend my change. Any coins I get goes in my left pocket. I’ll then use that change in snack machines, or, if I’m getting too much change, I’ll use it in my next multi-dollar purchase.

Slightly off topic, but something I really liked: Here in the US, the ATMs only dispense 20’s. When I was in the UK, I got 100 pounds out of an ATM, and I got a mixture of bills. That was really convenient!

J.

Embrace the change!

I hoard pennies (about $190 so far), and eventually take everything else to the bank.

Apart from all the recycling processes that go on, including coin jars and CoinStar machines, some change does get lost in the process, e.g., by falling on the ground and never being found again either by the loser or by anyone else. In addition, a small amount goes into coin collections – which may be serious collections, or a few coins kept by a foreign tourist as a memento of visiting the country. So, of all the coins issued by the mint, a few will drop out of circulation, and never find their way eventually back to the mint.

I almost always have between 1 cent, and 99 cents in my pocket. There are sometimes similar piles of change on my night table, my desk, and a basket by the door that might have a couple of bucks change in it.

I always pay with the change I have, so as to keep pennies at 4 or less, usually exact change if I have it, and usually the correct amount to get minimal coins in return, providing the clerk can do arithmetic in his head, instead of counting dimes into my hand. At times I collect the coins at home, and use them as above.

I have learned that this is highly atypical.

Tris

It goes in the coin purses of little old ladies, who meticulously count it out when paying with exact change while you are waiting impatiently behind them in the express checkout lane.

I do this too!! heh, I did it this morning and I always get the weirdest looks.

My son would suggest that all the change in the world is divided between the tooth fairy and his two piggy-bank-proud stepsisters.

The nature of some of the collectors can be surprising.

I don’t like to carry coins. After making sure that the coinholder in my car is fully stocked, I put all spare change in an old plastic jar I have in my bureau. Every few months my sons like to run the small coin-sorting machine I have, putting the coins in wrappers. Then I make a run to the bank and get cash for the coins.

I have a not-so-bright cousin who actually throws out pennies, arguing that “it’s not worth my time to sort them.” :rolleyes:

Actually, no cite, but I think a lot of American just throw out pennies, which is one of the reasons why the Mint keeps having to make so many of them.

You can have a lot more than a dollars worth of fun with 100 pennies if you feel like it so I skip them across water, shoot them, and do whatever else I feel like with some of them.

Counting out pennies at the 7-11
From a quarter past six till a quarter of seven
The manager, Bevan, starts to abuse me
Hey, man, I just want some muesli

– Flight of the Conchords

We collect ours in a jar, which serves all school year as a counting/money tool. In the summer, I have the kids count out enough for rolls, we roll them up, and spend them here and there.

It accumulates in my purse, because I don’t want to hold up a line anywhere finding exact change. I should take it to a Coinstar or something like it, but I never get around to it.

Or we just accumulate them, because it would hold up the line and probably annoy the clerk if you fumbled around for pennies.

It’s completely, 100% free. I’ve gotten several Amazon e-certs from them at no cost.

You can also donate to certain charities with no fee. They only charge a fee if you want the cash option.

Different rules apply in Canada and the UK though.
ETA: You don’t actually get a card, but a receipt with a certificate number printed on it. You then go to your Amazon account and enter the number, and you have a credit for that much. I haven’t tried the process with any other retailer.

I keep my change in an old tin of General Mills’s Suisse Mocha instant coffee. Then I use the left over nickels and dimes to pay for the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) and the quarters are used for the laundromat, this will really eat up your quarters at a buck a load to wash and a buck a load to dry.

When I worked in hotels as an asst controller, a lot of people would ask me to “cash in their change” which I did. Also desk clerks and such with banks will put their own change in on a daily basis and remove dollar bills to save having to run to the cashier.

The difference is probably that I worked in a convenience store, not a large store. We’d usually get at least a couple of customers a night who had obviously searched the house and the car for enough loose change to get that pack of smokes or that half-case of Sheaffer beer, because they NEEDED that nicotine or alcohol. We’d usually have to get a roll or two of each coin from the safe during each shift, but there were plenty of times when we rolled coins up and put them into the safe, too. Remember, we were supposed to barely be able to cash a twenty and have enough change for the next person. If someone wanted to buy a beer or pack of cigarettes with a fifty or hundred, we couldn’t make change, and we told them so. A lot of times, the customers who wanted to do this were actually just trying to break the large bill. If we had too much change in our drawers, we could get fired, and in fact that was part of the reason why two clerks DID get fired while I was working there.

Larger stores, on the other hand, expect some of their customers to pay with fifties and hundreds, and will allow a larger bank in the register. They still have to walk a line between having too little change and too much, though.

I tend to put all my change in the fishbowl (no fish in it) at the end of the day. And then when it fills up, in about a year or so, I take it to the bank, send it through the little machine, and deposit the rest. They always end up giving me back three Canadian pennies, a button, and once a coin that had been bent into an L. That’s when I’m in the US.

In Europe, because the coins go up to about three dollars in value, I tend to carry all my change around with me. This puts holes in my pockets, but at the end of most days, I only have about twenty cents or so of small change. So, that’s similar to 13-man.

Frankly, I think that they should get rid of all coins smaller than a quarter, but that’s not really germane to this discussion.

Wow this surprises me. I would think getting change would be one of the benefits of having a larger account (meaning the bank would have more money to loan out for interest).

As for the OP, stores get change from the bank, and consumers either put effort into spending the change, roll it themselves and deposit it, or put it in a coin machine (my bank has a free coin machine).