Who would you cast in a movie about Lincoln?

Karl Urban.

I’d do him as all-CGI, and focus on finding a good voice actor. Sam Waterston comes to mind. Or maybe Tristan MacAvery.

Well, if it’s a Hollywood movie they will want a handsome man who is a good box office draw so how about…Hugh Jackman?
Yeah, I know he’s Australian.

…and how about Mare Winningham as the Mrs.?

Some years back, I heard a rumor that singer James Taylor was being strongly considered to play Abe Lincoln in a TV movie (it never happened), and I have to say… that intrigued me. I don’t know if he can act at all, but he has a perfect look and an almost ideal voice.

If we’re going to go with a look-a-like, then Tina Marjorino (Deb from Napolean Dynamite) is a dead ringer for that picture of Mary Todd.

Genius. He gets my vote.

Okey dokey- Garret Dillahunt and Tina Marjorino are the winners. Something I like about Dillahunt is that he’s 46 but could convincingly play younger in flashbacks.

A pity Robert Lincoln isn’t a more major player (he and his father didn’t have the closest of relationships) and that he was only 24 when his father died, because Leonardo DiCaprio could add some star power. (Robert Todd Lincoln.)

Jonathan Groff(Broadway star: Spring Awakening; TV star: Glee) plays the role of a Surratt family friend & boarder in the movie The Conspirator but wouldn’t be bad for Booth himself.

Levon Helm would be good as the older Abe. You might remember him as the gun expert in Shooter and as the blind recluse in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

You win. Only problem is that he makes Liam Neeson look like box office gold by comparison. They’d have to sell it purely on director.

Sam Waterston really did a good AL in the TV movie of Gore Vidal’s novel; I suppose he’s a bit long in the tooth to be playing him now, but maybe not.

If plumped up a bit or put in a fat suit, I think Holly Hunter could do very well as Mary Todd Lincoln (although it’s not a perfect resemblance, it’s far better than Mary Tyler Moore):

http://americancivilwar.com/women/mary_todd_lincoln.jpg

I was at the Lincoln Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill. a few years ago and saw a picture of Robert Todd Lincoln at the time of the Civil War. His resemblance to Leonardo DiCaprio really struck me.

Rex Hamilton

David Bowie.

Howard Stern?
Tall enough and thin enough.
Hey Mary, here’s a kielbasa.

Do you mean Rex Harrison? If only he hadn’t died in 1990!

Lincoln: Jack Nicholson

John Wilkes Booth: Samuel L. Jackson
Who would NOT pay to see that?

“Four score and twenty goddamn years ago…”

“Sick Semper Tyrannis, motherfucker.”

15 years ago I thought she should play Mary and Sam Shepard should play Abe.

They’ve both aged out of the roles by now, unless we’re talking dinner theater.

If anybody saw the recent PBS series God in America, Chris Sarandon did tolerably well as Lincoln in short, filmed soliloquies.