Why are there so many blind blues and jazz musicians?

Roy Orbison had poor eyesight, but he wasn’t blind.

Ignorance (mine) fought. Thank you.
:smack:
I suppose next someone’s going to tell me Tommy was a Pinball Wizard, not a Rock Star.

I can play piano with my eyes closed and only occasionally looking, but on guitar I need to look at it frequently. I mean when playing complex leads and stuff, not strumming basic chords, I don’t need to look at those.

Good point, but even then I think the “limited options” theory comes into play. Blind people don’t have a lot of good choices for gainful employment. It’s true today, and it was certainly true in the Middle Ages.

Andrea Vocelli’s pretty accomplished, although not as an instrumentalist.

There was a heart-warming story on the Today show a year or two ago about a blind, autistic classical piano prodigy, so your statement isn’t exactly absolute.

or Braille music.

Thomas Wiggins (1849-1908), born a slave, had a vocabulary of about 100 words. Billed as “Blind Tom,” he also had a unique ability. If he heard a piece of classical music played once, he could reproduce it perfectly at the piano.

Yeah, that’s nice, I’ll bet you eleventy billion dollars US he couldn’t.

We’re talking Rain Man-type brilliance, so bets should be limited to about a hundred dollars.

I was going to guess that it was because all the blind race car drivers and jet pilots were killed off somehow…

Yeah I completely agree, if you read the article I linked to it mentions the same thing.

Ask Mark Twain, who heard Blind Tom play and wrote about it in 1869. Mark Twain - "Crown Prince of Timbuctoo"

She’s certainly a rare case, though. (This might not be the same girl you’re thinking of, but I’m guessing it is.)

And I just assumed that Krokodil was talking about this guy.