Why did they make the Desert Eagle .50 cal?

Sure, although they need their CO’s approval to carry it in uniform; a commander is responsible for all weapons in his unit, issue or not. It usually isn’t a problem, unless the soldier is a troublemaker or the officer is a hardass.

Handgun ownership isn’t as widespread here as it is in the U.S., and Israeli gun licensing laws are draconian by American standards (3 month waiting period, a licencing tax of 100% of the weapon’s value, etc.). When Israelis do buy pistols they’re invariably high-capacity 9mm semi-autos. Revolvers and small-caliber automatics are very uncommon.

OTOH, most reservists won’t shell out the cash for a thigh holster just for their few weeks of active duty a year. If you saw a soldier wearing one then he’s probably from some Sayeret.

• Well all I know is, I saw it being tested in US print magazines, and they said that they used regular .50 BMG ammo in it. The pistol was built pretty similar to the single-shot bullbup rifle at the time was. Maadigriffin.com is apparently gone now, another page page said they had switched the name to JNS Supply but I’m getting an “under construction” page for that address so I don’t know what’s there. I tried searching for any used examples for sale but could not find any–but then, I could not quickly turn up any M-G rifles for sale either.
        http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2200/2292.htm
        ~

Sorry for being so “Missouri” about a cite but I honestly would like to know the reality of the Maadi-Griffin pistol. If the photos I’ve seen aren’t mockups I still have yet to see photos or preferably a video clip of one being fired with standard .50 BMG ball ammo. Even with a muzzle brake the design with the bore so high above the grip seems tailored for embedding the scope in the shooter’s forehead. I’ll gladly eat crow if someone can show a .50 BMG handgun in use even if a one time demonstration.

Are there really enough people being mugged by elephants on a regular basis to create a market for this type of weapon?

When elephants go partying, look out.

If I’m rotinually being mugged by elephants, I’m gonna get an elephant gun(Baring that, I’m loading a shotgun with slugs).

It looks like the best way to take down an elephant with that pistol would be to give it to the elephant and let him shoot it.

“Lester, I done sprained my trunk again firing this dang thing. Fetch me a muzzle brake, will ya?”

You know what I mean. Try shooting an elepahnt with that and you’ll likely break your wrist.

In case anyone didn’t look further that birdman.org site is a very elaborate joke. Check out this item, their “Nuke50 Delivery System”. Watch the video at the bottom of the page. Very well done and pretty damn funny too. Careful, don’t drop that that bullet!

The recoil would certainly be pronounced! But would it be harmful? I don’t know.

As you’re already aware, Padeye, I have a .50 BMG bolt-action rifle. With scope it weighs about 25 lbs. I have shot the rifle offhand. It wasn’t any worse than a 12 ga. shotgun.

So how would a .50 BMG handgun be different?

1. A handgun would be lighter. Therefore, absorbed recoil would be greater.

2. With a handgun, the shooter does not use his shoulder to absorb recoil. Instead, the momentum from the recoil would have to be absorbed via the arms (and into the shoulder joints via the bones in each the arm).

3. With a handgun, the center of mass would be farther from the shooter (and the shooter is the pivot point). Therefore, muzzle climb would be much more pronounced.

So here’s a question: Would it be harmful for me to shoot my .50 BMG rifle offhand without pulling the stock into my shoulder? In other words, shooting it like a handgun?

I don’t know. Has anyone ever shot a 12 ga. shotgun without pulling the stock into their shoulder? What about those short, “tactical” shotguns w/ pistol grip I see advertised? And even though I believe the recoil of the .50 BMG is about the same as that of a 12 ga. shotgun, is it really valid (from a conservation of momentum perspective) to make this comparison?

BTW: In this thread Birdman claims to have made a “real” .50 BMG handgun. But it’s obvious from his description that even he was afraid to shoot it. Can’t say I blame him…

James Bond did it once when he was shooting clay pigeons at some villian’s palatial estate (probably Goldfinger). Villan is hitting and missing as his servant (Oddjob?) whips off the clays.
Bond’s dialog went like this

“Hmm… Looks difficult.”

He offhandedly one arms it and blows up the clay after glancing at the target.

Bang!

"Oh! I guess it’s not. "

Yes. Back when I was in high school, a few friends and I went target shooting at a gravel quarry. We were messing around at the end of the day, seeing what we could fire one handed from the hip. I was pretty lightly built back then, maybe 130lbs, but I simultaneously fired a 12ga. in one hand and a .243 rifle in the other. It made me take one step backwards, but was otherwise much less exciting than what my friends were hoping for. :wink:

But you know it’s coming down the pike.

I thought Gov. Ah-nold signed the .50 BMG ban; I seem to recall hearing something about it on the news.

Well, I can’t speak for the Israeli military (Alessan covered that well enough), but the US Army (Marines, too, probably) issue an M-16 to go with the tank, for “dismounted operations” by the crew, typically the loader. Any dismounted tanker (for area recon, OP/LP, etc) would take the M-16 with him, but would also be “covered” by the tank’s 7.62mm Coax and the TC’s Ma-Deuce.

(Re: shotgun with slugs): Well, if you want to seriously piss off an elephant, and then discover (very briefy) what the bottom of an elephant’s foot looks like, and what’s in-between an elephant’s toes, go ahead.

I’ve heard that elephants are pretty danged smart, and have a fun sense of play; you might become the object of a game of “toss the monkey,” or tug-o’-war. Then again, elephant soccer could be fun to watch too. Please try to keep the screaming to a minimum, though; it ruins it for us spectators.

I ihad one years ago, and fired it two handed; it wasn’t “bad,” but it also wasn’t something I’d want to have to do in a pinch. Better to have something like a folding stock or a tactical sling for “practical” application.

Yeah, but it was with light skeet loads. No big deal in the recoil department, but it’s really hard to hit anything that way. It’s also not something I’d like to do a lot of with buckshot or deer slugs.

I saw your posted pictgures. I just have to figure out how I can hide one of these from my wife :smiley:

I’d be hesitant to shoot it without shouldering it. Without something to stop the rearward movement in recoil you could really easily break your wrist. Try this experiment. Shoot it with the stock about two inches from your shoulder. Hurts like a mo-fo when that stock slams into your shoulder huh? The percieved recoil of a shoulder weapon isn’t a good guide to handgun recoil.

A handgun with less than half the mass of that rifle, more likely a third the mass. Centerline significantly above your wrist. I wouldn’t do it.

James Bond, feh! Now I am a fan of the movies and I loved all the books but Ian Fleming didn’t know jack squat about firearms. As for the movie it was not Goldfinger. Mr. Scotland challenged Goldfinger on the links. I know the scene you’re talking about and I’m pretty sure it was that pantywaist Roger Moore. At least 007 has a proper handgun now with the P99 even if it is 9mm Parabellum. Tempted to get one in .45 ACP if I can shoot one first.

Padeye: I like the '99 just for it’s looks alone; a very smart looking piece. I’m one of “those guys” who’s been known to buy a gun just because of the way it looks. :o

I’m seriously considering getting one in 40 S&W.

Padeye, when I was about 9-10 a couple adult red-necked family friends told me to hold the stock of a 12ga. a couple inches off my shoulder so’s it wouldn’t "kick’ so hard. Hurt like hell. Big nasty bruise. Real fucking funny, them hunter guys.

It was Thunderball.