Why do blind people rock back and forth?

Would love to hear from more doctors or blind people (it IS possible to have Web pages read out loud by a program, right?), but the “getting a better sense of the environment” makes the most sense. I mean, this is something I as a sighted person do–there’s a noise and I can’t identify where it’s coming from, so I move around to get a better send of where it is in space. Or I see something I can’t identify–I’ll change my position to see if a different perspective helps me. I bring up the sight thing because I’m nearsighted AND at the age where I need reading glasses, so sometimes out in the yard I need to change my POV to decide if that’s dogshit on the ground or a piece of bark.

So I imagine that constant slight movement might give a blind person a better sense of where things/people are–they’re triangulating though sound.

In addition to all of the above, which are probably all valid reasons to a degree, there is also the fact that blind people do not know what accepted standards of body language look like, so it never occurs to them that their audience can see what they are doing as body language not conforming with conventions…