Why do guys like breasts?

So…
they’re like chicken fingers!

I sincerely hope that someone makes this a sig line. Classic.

Breasts are like toy trains. They were meant for the kiddies, but Pop usually ends up playing with them.

We’re not all wired the same way, you know.

I think they are cute and, all other things being equal, appearance-wise, females are more fun to look at if they have them there. But it’s the “contributes to the overall shape and contour” sort of effect for me, they aren’t the eye-magnets that lots of other guys seem to find them to be.

Where I find it hard not to stare with glazed eyes and drooling half-parted lips is the frontal crotch area, where with sufficiently tight pants you get a delicious V forming in the front, surrounded by (hips) tapering upwards to narrowing waist with possible belly button showing; or, with short skirts, cute thighs pushing shirt-material a bit this way and that way teasing at the possibility of seeing just a bit farther up. With all that going on, breasts are not going to get much more than peripheral-vision considerations unless there’s an upstairs garment askew or in dishabille. And when I do glance up it’s usually to check the face (Am I about to get caught leering and ogling? If apparently not, how’s the face, the hair, the eyes, the mouth? OK, quick survey the overall shape and how she moves, mmm, oh and cute breasts too, now back down to the Magnet, wow, femaleness, wonder who thought of it first, incredible, yum.)

I’ve never known whether that’s odd or so obvious and common that no one even bothers commenting about it (i.e., “Of course we all like to peek at girl crotches, you dimbulb, but that’s like when someone asks what you like best about sex and you reply ‘the sex part’, it’s so universal no one talks about it”), and therefore whether or not women are more likely or less likely to be aware that I’m doing it as opposed to the guy who’s ogling their breastacular equipments.

If things couldn’t come back into style at some point, we’d have run out of things to fetishize by now. Just because they were hot to some slob several mellennia ago doesn’t imply that it isn’t cultural.

Since this is IMHO, you get no cite for the following:

There is at least one contemporary culture that does not look at breasts as sexual. As reported, when told that western men do, the woman all busted out laughing uncontrollably and said things like, “You mean men act like babies?!”

I can’t believe that without a cite.

I’m sorry, but it got moved from GQ and that’s that.

(Actually, it was posted in a previous GQ thread. Let me see… Ah, ha! Search this page for “Dettwyler”. I’d also like to note that “nulliparous” was a lot more funny when I was misreading it as “nipplarious.”)

I think men like breasts because they are clear signals of femininity, and (most of us) are programmed–gentically, socially, or by whatever means–to desire women. Breasts are like a sign post that says “Here is what you desire.”
I know I love nice big titties, and and notice a woman with them MUCH faster than a woman without. I have been attracted to flatter-chested women, but it took a lot longer.

And what Zebra said. Touching them is really cool!

What’s not to like about them?

I always wondered how to spell that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if our hard-wired bias to favor symmetry is a big factor here. Breasts offer an easily-grasped example of symmetry or the lack thereof – either the breasts and nipples are, or they aren’t, and there’s nothing subtle about it.

Guys, could you be more specific about your aesthetic preferences here? Imagine two potential lovers: one with perfectly-sized breasts (of whatever size that appeals to you) which tilt or hang slightly askew, or another woman with a less-than-ideal size (but perfectly straight) set. Which is more attractive?

Ditto for nipple size, placement, and color: how important is symmetry re. this?
Another possibility is that men find breasts arousing because they are secondary sex organs for women; i.e., a stimulated woman generally experiences swelling and hardening in her nipples. A man who is attuned to a woman’s sexual response (or lack thereof) is probably going to be considered a better lover than one who isn’t, and may well be more welcomed by that woman as a lover, and may be fractionally more likely to succeed in fathering a child. Over the millenia, those fractional advantages add up…

Maybe, but it seems like culture can override pretty much anything. Even the instinct to self-preserve seems to go away pretty easily for a lot people, when religion is applied or during times of war.

If the love of breasts is entirely cultural, why do we have them in the first place? No other mammal does, and they all do just fine at feeding their young. And the energy/nutrients that go into making breasts could certainly be applied elsewhere. So there must have been some evolutionary advantage for women with breasts way back when.

Standup Karmic Quote:

Wait a sec. Chickens got breasts, but…

Because god loves cultures that love tits.

And forget that crap about the Immaculate Conception of Mary. She wasn’t chosen for the honor of bearing Jesus because she was free of Original Sin. She just happened to have the juiciest, bounciest pair of D-cups in Galilee! :smiley:

If God was a breast man, he’d have given women more than two.

<Remembers ‘Total Recall’> Hmm, no.
I prefer boobs to breasts. Boobies even more.

I can feel the same way about almost any other part of a woman’s body though. their neck, face, legs, feet, ankles, hands, hair, stomach, waist, bum, bum boobies boobs boobs boobs boobs!

You are SO going to hell for that. …I’m not saying you’re wrong.

We don’t know why we like them, we just do. We express it as best we can from as eloquently as that old honey dripper Solomon or as lowbrow as “Your pair of jugs, a roll of duct tape… oh wow.”

I didn’t think three boob chick was too bad really but I’m a hopeless case.

Padeye
Poet Laureate, Hustler Magazine

[White Dwarf]

Can you imagine a woman with six breasts?

Can you imagine making love to her?

[/WD]

This talk about boob-o-philia being “culturally determined” is horseshit, plain and simple. Folks who like girls like boobs, and nobody is gonna tell me my culture made this so, because if anything, my culture provided me precous little exposure to them. But boy, once I got some exposure, my reaction was automatically positive in a big way. Asking “why do you like them” is like asking a heterosexual man “Why do you like sticking that in there and moving it around?” It’s beyond obvious why it’s good. We’re designed to find it good. We’ve essentially no choice in the matter.

Boobs are just plain wonderful, and that’s good enough for me.