Why do humans need toilet paper?

So you are saying a low fiber diet has messier stools? That is contrary what medical professionals say:

Hard, dry stool is inconsistent with messy bowel movements.

You don’t know how many telephone messages I’ve lost this way.

Same with cows. They’ve been modified by man. Their enormous belly is certainly the cause of an unbalanced body shape.

I recall reading about yoga practitioners in India distending(?) or extending the colon and maybe some of the intestines to wash them in the holy water of the Ganges river.
It may have been in Ripleys’ Believe It or Not book.

Diet has a lot to do with the consistency and shape or of feces, and how they may or may not get pinched/wiped off.

Does anyone have a copy of James Whitcolmb Riley’s “The Old Outhouse?”
Icy corncobs… Ouch! :smiley:

Not in my experience. The ones that slip right out tend to be the cleanest. The ones I have to work at take work to clean up.

Anyone else got any experiences with this?

Because poo flinging declined in popularity after we climbed down out of the trees.

That’s brilliant

Another variation that is not as good:

Man is the only animal that flushes - or needs to.

:smiley: Actually, that’s even better.

OK, after reading the responses, I’m starting to get the sense that this question is one of the true imponderables.

When I submitted the question I was sincere and serious about seeking some wisdom or insight.

At this point, all I can think of is:

“The human condition is such that very little can be done without having to do paperwork.”

God, does indeed, have a sense of humor.

If someone can still provide an answer I’d like to hear it.

If they did, they probably died shortly afterwards-the Ganges is filthy.
:eek:

I think the first reason given by CalMeacham in post #7 above answers the question very well.

Odd comment. I admit that my own posts probably were not that helpful in terms of learning the truth. But a lot of the other stuff certainly is.

TMI!

If I don’t pinch a turd mid-crap I usually don’t need to wipe. I mean, I wipe, but I don’t need to. I bet in addition to diet and position there’s also pooping technique.

Indians not only bathe in the Ganges they do the incomprehensible to our thinking, they DRINK it! :eek:

Children growing up on sampans in the river harbors of the China (and other) coasts are virtually immune to all the diseases of mankind having been exposed to them all their lives. I would expect the infant death rate to be higher that in the Western world.

I can’t believe I’m responding, but I have had the opposite experience. I rarely eat fruits and vegetables so it’s “hard” for me, but cleaner.

I wonder if they’ll mind if I drop trou and try this around the office?

I have to reply to this, since it casts doubt on my original thesis, that this doesn’t really tell you anythinmg about whether the buttocks are spread enough to allow unimpeded passage of feces. Whether your bottom cheeks rub up against one another or not when you walk is pretty irrelevant, too. I’m not surprised that they spread enough in your case to allow the paper to drop, but the question is whether yoyur buttocks, when you are seated on the toilet seat, are spread enough to prevent the stool from contacting them – entirely a different question. And does the modern toilet help or hinder? the claim made by Alexander and Sabbath and others is that it does not.

“Messiness,” or more accurately, “stickiness” is not so much a factor of high fiber vs. low fiber, but rather one of whether the carbs you eat are high or low fiber. Eat
a relatively balanced meal but use white bread as your carbs. Sticky. Eat same but substitute white bread for whole grains or fruit. Not sticky. If you were to eat a diet of just fruit, your stools would be unformed, but leave virtually no residue.