Why do obese people do this?

Absolutely. It reminds me of the thread about the woman who itched her way through her skull. I spent most of the day feeling itchy after reading the article in the OP.

jsgoddess, when you’re walking do you breathe in sync with your left or right foot?

Stop that! You’re going to make the poor thing hyperventilate or trip or something.

It is frowned upon to turn on these people and shove breadsticks up their nostrils to quell the sound, but I consider doing it anyway.

Hee. I had some serious anxiety before my recent math exam in case the class mouth-breather was going to be sat right next to or behind me for three inescapable hours, but I lucked out there. No sign of her (I guess she went to a different assessment centre). :smiley:

And let me guess–since you were taking an exam, you had no breadsticks?

Pencils or pens will do in a pinch, but they are more likely to fall out of people’s noses.

You’re evil.

ARRRGGGHHHH!

(not jsgoddess, but obviously a relative.)

Not if you cram 'em up there far enough.

I have absolutely noticed this trend, and just always assumed it was some sort of subconscious excitement about preparing to eat. Clearly there’s a “food = good/exciting” reaction in people who are obese.

Oh dear Og. I don’t think I have the strength for this one today.

Just… just please don’t think with your prejudices, OK? And we’ll all be good.

I’m amazed that the OP finds that overweight people breathing heavy is either a) noteworthy at all or b) puzzling on anything more than a microscopic level.

OP here.

Look I have a small sample. Small nearly isolated town. I now feel confidant this is not common.

Obesity is a disease I though there could have been some reaction going on did not know about. Maybe a hint as to why people overeat or put more food on the plate than would be considered normal. I know that during my drug days my body would react differently at different times. I at times would feel drunk or sometimes high just at the handling of my drugs, before even using. Something was going on. The receptors were already firing off.
I now know I was just merely being annoyed for some other reason. Hey, we all got our things. I am sure many people have problems with my short, balding, egocentric, dumb ass.

Not sure I agree the phenomenon actually exists … but if it did … could it be anxiety over food?

I’m overweight and I know around food I get quite anxious … might check on my breathing next time I go near the fridge!!!

I really don’t see why there needs to be a more complicated explanation for this than “poor physical condition --> heavier breathing”. Occam’s razor, people.

Well, I’m reporting this based on when I was taking care of my morbidly obese father and his sister leading up to their deaths…so I don’t really think “prejudice” plays into it. :dubious:

Let’s not make this a discussion about who is prejudiced. The point is that there’s no good evidence that this heavy breathing is in any way linked with food. People who are physically unfit tend to breathe heavily any time they exert themselves. And everyone has a “food = good/exciting” reaction.

slight hijack…This is the funniest thing I have read all day, but how freaking true.

Some people who come to Vegas think it’s acceptable to act like pigs here, because they don’t live here. Rule of thumb, if it’s not acceptable to do in your home town, don’t do it here!

To the OP, I have not noticed ‘obese people at buffets’ huffing and puffing and/or breathing heavy.

Here’s another option you can try if you don’t have any breadsticks or pens.

I’m not sure exactly what they were thinking when they came up with that commercial, but I certainly think it was selling Cheetos.

That’s NOTHING! I was taking a summer math class back in High School at the local community college and this chinese dude always sat near me (I have nothing against chinese people, mind you, just this one guy, but I’ve noticed a lot of asian people have a flatter nose bridge than westerners and this contributed to the problem) ANYWAY, he most have broken his nose too many times or something, cause about every five minutes or so he’d take off his glasses and hit his nose to the left or right, audibly relocating either the cartiledge or the bone itself so it was in a more proper position. It was absolutely disgusting, I would get physically ill after every class.

Back on topic: To the OP, it’s possible this particular person has some sort of warped Pavlovian reaction to buffets :wink: