Why do politicians need money in order to campaign?

The proposal is to restrict the exposure voters have to a candidate. Right or wrong, we place a great deal of faith on our own impressions of a candidate - tone of speech, physical appearance, gravitas, etc. To a certain extent, we judge a candidate’s honesty this way.

Restricting a candidate’s opportunities to meet the public restricts the public’s ability to make fully informed decisions. A candidate can claim anything on a 30s spot or a written manifesto. It’s only by engaging with other people, via speeches, debates, etc. that we get the full flavor of personality.

So, it seems like the proposal is to gut a key element of democracy to save some money, i.e. save democracy by killing democracy.

For what it’s worth, this proposal sounds something like presidential campaigns 200 years ago. Candidates did not go out for themselves but had representatives travel to promote the party/candidate. It doesn’t really save money. Money = ways to advertise = more votes. You’d end up over-regulating and simply spending more money in the process of trying to spend less money.

Political campaigns should be restricted to public money only. That would make an even fireld and eliminate much of the influence of the rich.

And conversely, how am I going to know who not to vote for if I can’t see incessantly repeated commercials showing an unflattering extreme close-up of the candidate’s opponent (slow zoom in on a sinister negative image) along with ominous background music and a voiceover telling me how he voted in favor of welfare handouts for flag-burning Muslim pedophiles?

Sure, there’s less than noble campaign advertising out there. But I’d rather have a freer flow of information, even if it means getting a bunch of junk. I can’t see how restricting a candidate’s access to the public leads to a healthier democracy.

I’m also against the KKK, puppy killers, and Nazis (especially Illinois Nazis). And I’m also against restricting their ability to advertise to the public. It’s applying a hammer to a job for a wrench. Those organizations should be dealt with through societal pressure, rather than force of law. Damaging democracy (even for a good cause) is not the proper solution.

Allowing corporations and the wealthy to purchase advertising is not the free flow of info. It is a specific slant presented by those who can afford it. It does not bring democracy but oligarchy and corporate power.
What would be better than an even playing field for all candidates?

How about an even playing field that also respects the Constitution?

So let’s rewrite the first amendment. (Gasp! Horror!) Surely there is some way it could be reworded so that unpopular political speech is still protected, but so that the worst undesirable consequences that it gives rise to (such as the one the OP is trying to address) are avoided. It might not be so pithy, but it might work, and it might actually be more in the spirit of want the founders intended than the situation we have now.

While the cost of campaigning remains so high (something that 18th century gentlemen could not have anticipated), there is really no way American politics can avoid being deeply and systemically corrupt.

Good governance is a lot more important than allegiance to an old bit of paper.

:rolleyes: If you seriously think Congress and the U.S. public can be convinced to vote for a new Constitutional amendment that rewrites the First Amendment, then go to it and good luck. On the off chance you recognize that that’s absolutely impossible, you’d be better off thinking of a way to regulate elections that does not violate the First Amendment. What the OP is discussing plainly does so. An even playing field for candidates is a good idea, but gonzomax asked what would be better and I gave a truthful answer: an even playing field that allows people to exercise their Constitutional rights, that gives the electorate more information rather than less, and one that is based on laws consistent with the Constitution.

Are you speaking here of truthful advertising, or false advertising?

Short answer: Because some parties who, at present, can influence elections and therefore public policy with their money don’t want to give that up. That is why organizations like the Center for Competitive Politics exist (compare the Center for Responsive Politics; Colbert interviewed a leader of each last week).

They don’t need much money to campaign. They need a lot of money to win, because people tend to vote for or against someone they’ve heard of.

You also assume the purpose of the money is for campaigning. Much of it is, but a lot of it is flat out bribery.

Goodness. All I was proposing is that all the hollywooding isn’t even necessary if a voter can have all the info they need right in front of them at one time. As for taxpayers money, I was referring to taxpayer donations to campaigns.

That’s what I was inferring, actually. Lobbyists… hollywooding… as I put it.

What info could you possibly obtain to determine how to vote? You are always gambling that the person you vote for will do their job in a manner you approve of. Nothing they do or say will guarantee that. In addition, most people don’t carefully consider any information available to them at all. They vote for a party, or a nice looking candidate, or someone they think they’d like to have a beer with, or someone who promises something appealling, or against those people.

First we need a SCOTUS that will reverse Buckley v. Valeo.

From The Next American Nation, by Michael Lind (The Free Press, 1995), pp. 256-259 (from before the McCain-Feingold Bill, but I don’t think the picture has changed all that much since it passed):

They don’t come much more libertarian than Goldwater, and even he was appalled at this state of affairs.

From the same book, pp. 311-313:

I’ve often wondered what would happen if I ran for office without spending any money campaigning. I’d announce my candidacy; I’d answer any questions or grant any interviews or participate in any debates that anyone invited me to. I might even set up a website, or a facebook profile or some such. I just wouldn’t spend any significant money or time hyping myself.

I’m not going to try the experiment, because I don’t want to be elected to anything. Besides, I suspect that some of the people who come in fifth in local elections tried this kind of approach.

But what if it’s on an open access federally hosted website? All the info you would need. They could grant interviews, hold q&a. Do you really think it’s necessary to travel the country by bus or plane and buy tv ads if all of the information is openly available?

I agree, Diana. This is where smear campaigns begin. I was proposing a mature, non-grandstanding, non-bribery inciting approach. A central source for information. I do enjoy tossing the idea around.

I assume that “Hollywooding” and “grand standing” is defined as anything that you don’t like. Do you have a more objective definition of what those terms mean?

For example, is holding a town hall meeting acceptable to you or not? What about visiting a business or union leaders? Standing next to a subway station and shaking hands – is that okay?

I was referring to slam campaigns and bribery. I constantly read how people are tired of politicians lining their pockets or awed at the overwhelming amount of money that is raised to compete in this enormous contest … the venues, the balls, the dinners… when all we need are the facts. That’s all I am stating.