Why do stores sell meat that's going green?

So… no cite?
Sorry, I’m just a silly little environmental scientist who thinks one should provide support for their statements when requested. Especially when that one has “asked” somebody else to do the same. And the somebody else did it.

I can hardly beleive that any store is selling meat that has turned to the degree that Purdue is describing. I have never ever seen it in the store, and I’m betting you haven’t either. Perhaps I just shop at better stores though. I don’t know what sort of places you shop at, but I shop at Albertsons. I strongly beleive that you have never seen what Purdue is describing, but like I said, you may shop at some nasty ass store.

Are you sure it wasn’t birefringence?

That’s right. In fact, one of the stores was actually called Nasty Ass. The other one was called Ass Nasty. It was right down the street from *Stinky Feet’s. *

Any luck with that cite?

I know my chemistry is right, and you will not be buying a steak anytime soon. Don’t hold your breath.

Yep. I’m familiar with what you are talking about and this was not that. Completely different appearance.
(Assuming you’re talking to me and not fishbicycle.)

Really, folks… stores do leave some nasty ass meat on the shelves sometimes. Surely other people have seen this? They’ve done TV exposes on it and everything. Ever heard of Food Lion?

So, I just want to make sure I have this right. You won’t provide a cite? I am supposed to believe what you say because you have told me you are right?

Wow. That is so arrogant yet so wussy. It’s warrogant.

Well, you’re right about one thing. I won’t be buying a steak any time soon. Good night, Christopher.

Where am I supposed to pull a published visible spectrum of the heme molecule with and without oxygen bound to it? Maybe I’ll do a cursory search at work tommorrow, but I hardly think settling this is worth the effort.

It doesn’t even matter to you. You don’t eat meat.

I once saw a container of liver at the supermarket that had worms in it. In the actual meat, not just the container(as if that would make it better). The only time the sight of something made me actually feel like vomiting. I have some bizarre phobia/revulsion about things that are imbedded in other things, and things with holes in them, and that did NOT help it any. So my guess is completely unobservant employees.

I know, Haunted, what is the difference between the color of your blood fresh from you lungs and filled with oxygen, and the color of your blood slightly oxygen depleted and coming back in your veins. That is the color change upon losing oxygen. Only in the meat, it is more extreme because no oxygen is being replenished.

Now, what happens when we dose our blood with CO? Remember, in extreme cases of CO poisoning people turn bright red. This is because the CO is replacing where the oxygen would be. Only CO binds more strongly so it stays longer and eventually sufocates. That’s why CO makes meat stay red longer, because it remains bound to the heme longer than oxygen.

Thus, color change in the meat is from the change in coordination on the iron in the heme molecule.

So this isn’t about grocers selling meat from cows producing lower volumes of polluting methane.

Well, I’m glad to see that a discussion broke out. I’ve learned from this thread, thanks. It looks lilke the jury is still out on whether the meat is actually going bad, or suffering from lack of oxygen, or something else entirely. I didin’t know they added CO to meat to make it red. I just know that those steaks and roasts looked nasty, and rather than ask why they were going for cheap, and possibly getting sick from eating it, we decided to pass.

Let’s put another way. If the discoloration isn’t the result of oxygen loss from the iron, then CO wouldn’t do anything to prolong it’s bright red shelf life.

Only one? That’s downright reticent for Eskimos, innit?

Just wanted to comment on this - it’s possible for meat to smell and look completely normal, yet contain harmfully high populations of food poisoning pathogens - it’s also possible for meat to be stinky and unpalatable, but comparatively safe - the organisms and processes that cause it to stink aren’t necessarily the same as the ones that will make you ill - although in ordinary circumstances, they do progress more or less proportionally, so smell is a reasonable indicator.

Heh.

I ATE my fill of a whale that died
And stranded after a month at sea. . . .
There is a pain in my inside.
Why have the Gods afflicted me?
Ow! I am purged till I am a wraith!
Wow! I am sick till I cannot see!
What is the sense of Religion and Faith?
Look how the Gods have afflicted me!

Christopher, I am not denying that this process can cause a change in the color of the meat. I am saying that there is no evidence that it will produce a green color. Everything I have read indicates that this process will change the meat from red to brown, not green. I have found nothing that indicates that the loss of oxygen will lead to a green color in meat. If you can find something, I am happy to see it.

I have found more on the greening of meat. This says that both hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen peroxide can turn meat green. It also says that those compounds are produced by certain microorganisms under specific storage conditions. In the case of the hydrogen sulfide reaction, oxygen is actually required for the greening to occur. Although this type of greening is uncommon due to modern packaging, it can occur when oxygen gets into the package.

But would you eat them in a boat?

I buy steaks when they have aged a bit and sometimes have a greenish tinge under the lights in the meat case. They are delicious! If I got one that had actually gone bad, I would return it to the store.

In my old place, I used to age steaks. I would literally stick it on a plate and let it sit in the fridge for 7-10 days. My friend tried this, and he said his meat rotted, it was slimy and smelled very bad. It turns out, he had it under plastic wrap. Was the wrapped meat any worse than the meat I had let sit?