Why is "Bruce" considered a "gay name?"

:dubious:

So what your saying is that you are not gay?

How you doin’?

I’ve only known two guys in my lifetime with the name of Bruce (both of them coworkers at separate jobs). I know one of them was gay.

I’m doing very well, tyvm. :smiley:

My dad is named Bruce! I take umbrage! :mad:
(Actually, he’s just hip, smart, fashion-savvy, and cool enough to possibly be gay-worthy. :cool:)

I’ve heard the name Dennis in this context, too, though also certainly not nearly as often as in non-“gay” contexts. For example, there’s no implication of it in the “Dennis” scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

As for the change from Bruce to David Banner. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the truth. After all, they took away Mr. Clean’s earring for the same reason. Now that earrings on guys have crossed into the mainstream, to an extent, they can’t give Mr. Clean his earring back, because it would be too awkward to explain why it was taken away in the first place, and why now it’s somehow become OK.

I always thought Mr. Clean looked more manly with the earring.

:dubious:

As far as I can tell, Mr. Clean has always had an earring. He still does.

:mad:

You ruin everything!

Huh. I’d never thought about how many famous, straight Bruces there really are. Those guys are mostly yesterday’s news, though. The gay Bruce stereotype seems to have weathered the macho storm unscathed, and now has Bruce Vilanch to help prop it up.

Obligatory Simpsons quote:

Don’t bring me down, Bruuuuce!

It might just be me but Bruce always meant Australian. Gay just didn’t enter in to it.

Gidday Bruce.

Much like Ole and Lena are often used in Norwegian jokes, Percy and Brucie are the names I remember from gay jokes from the late 60s and early 70s. I always thought that Percy probably came from the Kovac’s character, Percy Dovetonsils, and that Brucie was used as it worked well with Percy.

ELO?

See, I thought if any name would be picked, it would Gary… seeing as how most people pronounce it with the silent “r” and all that.
:smiley:

I believe Kovacs was drawing on the already existing gay-Bruce association.

Well, considering recent developments RE: Bruce (Caitlin) Jenner, this is pretty funny. I had a science teacher in middle school named Bruce, and knew another guy named Bruce, both of which were gay as well. Not that it really means anything.

Here’s the scene. And David is wearing a dress, which is ironic considering how Bruce Jenner is now Caitlin.

I’m 57 and I haven’t heard the Bruce = gay association mentioned in over 40 years now since about Jr High. I thought that meme had died out in the 70’s. There’s a fair number of newly named Bruce’s still coming along so I don’t think that creaky old meme is all that powerful these days.

There is also this - which probably reflects the idea rather than originating it:

It isn’t a particularly common given name in the UK and doesn’t have the same association as far as I know.