Why is goose not eaten in the U.S.?

Except for the one that died in the mill pond, standing on its head.

I remember reading in one of James Herriot’s books, many moons ago, about a farmer who treated his cow’s udder infection by rubbing it with goose grease: being at a young and impressionable age, it instantly robbed me of any desire to ever eat goose.

Yes, but not because there was anything inherently medicinal about goose grease - only that it made a good lubricant and was readily available. (Goose, you may be surprised to hear, is really greasy, although the fat renders out when you cook it, and so if you’re in a position to eat goose frequently you’ll never want for a ready supply of slipperiness). The udder infection just needed a lot of massaging to get the infected matter out, so the farmer gave it round-the-clock attention and pretty much a whole basin of goose grease, and the cow astonished James Herriot by being better the next day.

To address the Christmas Carol remark upthread, it was goose the Cratchits had for dinner in Scrooge’s vision from the Ghost of Christmas Present, but the fowl as big as the boy sent to buy it was a turkey.

Economy probably factors in there somewhere; geese aren’t particularly fast-growing; chickens are ready for slaughter in a couple of months from hatching; with geese, it’s at least twice as long. OK, there’s more of them when they’re ready, but the cost per unit weight of meat is almost certain to be greater for geese than chickens (and pigs for that matter, I expect).

‘Too greasy’ Yeah. Right. ‘Too difficult to deep-fry whole’ I could have believed.

It’s worth noting that the term ‘turkey’ doesn’t mean the same today as it has done in the past(cite), however Dickens’ book was published in 1843, long after the modern definition of turkey was established, so yes, it would have been a turkey as we know them.

Assuredly, since a guinea fowl would not be the size of a boy, even for very large values of “guinea fowl” and very small values of “boy”.

Interesting to note from the link that peafowl supposedly tastes like turkey. (Not being a water bird, I suppose there’s not much reason for it to be greasy.)

We were just discussing this last night. we had duck this week, which is not very common, either. I’ve never seenm goose in a US supermarket, at any time of year. A lot of those fowl that show up in Sherlock Holmes stories – pheasant, goose, woodcock – don’t seem to be easily available here.

It’s a little known fact that geese are greasy and the fat is really great for roasting potatoes.

It’s hard to believe but the first time I had goose was on a Lufthansa flight. The meal choices were beef or goose, so I had to choose goose for the novelty. It was pretty good but nothing spectacular.

While we’re on the topic of geese, is there any truth to the rumor that they’re really greasy?

Only for about 20 minutes.

Depends on how it’s prepared.

So…if Batman is prepared, is he greasy? :smiley:

1920s-style.

They may yet prove a viable alternative to Alaskan refuge oil drilling.

My mother cooked goose for Christmas a few years ago. I don’t remember what it tasted like but I do remember the buckets of grease that came out of it.

This last Christmas she just bought some goose-fat to roast the potatoes and parsnips in (yummy) and skipped the whole goose-rendering routine (we had turkey).

Historically (in England) geese were an important resource for quills, arrow fletching (and probably grease).

Okay, but are greasey geese shiney-assed?

Greasy, grimy, goosey guts.

So, does any culture spread goose-grease on bread?

Good Gracious Greasy Greese Got Gobsmacked.