Why no bugs in Seattle?

Spiders, moths, ladybugs and fleas!

You must not have any pets, lissener. I’ve lived all over the U.S. and I’ve never seen fleas thrive anywhere the way they do here in Seattle.

Have I mentioned how much I hate fleas?

I started a very similar thread to the OP several years ago, commenting on the lack of mosquitoes on Vancouver Island just north of Seattle. I was contradicted as well by other island posters. Since I moved to the island 1n 1979 I’ve never experienced the late night torturous buzz. I sleep with wide open windows.(I don’t even know what a cockroach looks like)

I think the prevalence of bats around here may be responsible.

A friend of mine lives in LaCrosse and frequently ventures into MN. Everytime she comes back, her car looks like she just drove through the frog scene in Magnolia. :eek: (We need an ewww smilie)

In Victoria. B.C. there are no screens in most residential buildings. :eek: That is either illegal or immoral in Ontario.

I’m in Seattle, and my house alone could be responsible for the scarcity of bugs in the area. We have so many spiders it is unreal, we’re talking on an epic-'70s-disaster-movie-guest-starring-Charo-and-Bruce-Jenner scale of spider infestation. Just this morning I stumbled across the shed skin of one of them in the middle of my living room floor, I honestly mistook it for a Brillo Pad at first, but on closer inspection…I fear I’m going to bump into the owner of that skin some night. And I kid you not, I walked down into my basement once and saw looming shadows cast against the wall from one of the spiders as it scurried to its fortress of solitude beneath the rafters, all that was needed to complete the effect was some creepy Vincent Price laughter.

But they leave us alone, our dogs are still alive and haven’t been trapped, and our house and yard are bug free. They’re happy, we’re happy.

Y’all have that many spiders? And they’re big? Really?

Cross Seattle of the places I could live.

The list keeps dwindling…I might have to stay here. Ya, Minneapolis has skeeters (they’re the state bird), but the cold keeps the spider population at bay. And they’re usually smaller - there are some big ones, but I’ve only seen them in the woods or camping; they’re not in my home.

:eek:
Snicks

the-++++++++++

the real reason that there arent many bugs in Seattle is that they all committed suicide! Seattle’s the most depressing place in the USA

I worked there for 3 months --and never saw a single day of sunshine(Oct-Dec). Nice people, mild winters, good coffee–but unbearable weather.Permanent clouds, nonstop rain, constantly wet, and just damn unpleasant.
Ya gotta have a bit of sunshine in your life, but Seattle is just sad. Even the bugs can’t take it.

We just finished a week of clear blue skies and 80+ degree days, thanks for asking. :cool:

We do have plenty of sunshine…just not during the off season, thank you. Plus, grey is beautiful. Plus, there aren’t that many spiders. Really, there aren’t.
That may explain the mosquitos (I think I don’t notice them anymore, because I’m not a kid running around in shorts in twilight - 10pm twilight, pure heaven when you’re in gradeschool), but what about the cockroaches? I had never seen one until I went to college (neither had any of the other people from WA or northern OR). Not that I’m complaining, I’ll be happy to never see one again.

Seattle?

I’ve heard that Colorado Springs has almost no flying insects.

The Buffalo metropolitan area has no fireflies, even though they’re common in Rochester, Erie, and Cleveland.

It’s the spiders. We’ve got tons of 'em. They gobble up all the bugs.

And bats. We’ve got lots of bats, too.

Ever step on a banana slug barefoot? Gaaah!

First let me say I loved Seattle. But;
Just a few blocks from the Pikes Place Market area is a cool :cool: laundromat/pizza place where I personally squished a german cockroach. There’s no possibility od mistake here, I grew up in Bakersfield and I know roaches. I was there in the early spring of '02, and someonewas filming something while I was there. The place had a definite “punk” edge to it.
Sorry. If I had known I was doing-in a state treasure I’d have made more a fuss about it. I didn’t know it was endangered. :wink:
I’ll be back.
Peace,
mangeorge

Most unusual at this time of year (there’s an adage about “summer” starting on July 5th in these parts). My sinuses were in severe danger of drying up.

From my german cockroach link, above;
“They are unable to survive in locations without humans or human activity.”
Hmmm.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Please. Its possible a bug or two has drowned here now and then, but the cloudy, rainy reputation is a myth to keep tourists and other undesirables away.
Lots of places are cloudy in the winter. Here are average rainfall stats for Seattle.
Yes, I was born and raised here. We never had screens on our windows, but we did have house flies in the summer. Surprisingly, though, we had a screen door! Maybe we were just keeping out the flies too big to get in the windows.
I was a kid. :confused:

Yeah. What *he said! so there. :slight_smile:

Clearly you’ve never been to the Philippines. In many areas people have to sleep under mosquito nets.

Or maybe they’ve been nobbled by the deadly fungus. :eek:

You must live in an area where most of your neighbors get exterminated frequently.
Seattle has no shortage of bugs. As seen on the local news even bed bugs are becoming prevalent again. Also someone said there are no poisonous spiders in Seattle… WRONG… Just check with most of the Larger emergency rooms and you will find black widow bites even the rare for the PNW ,brown recluse bites do occur.

With international and national travel a constant these days insect hitchhikers of all kinds are making new homes all over including Seattle. Mosquitoes require places with standing water to breed so if you don’t have those you probably don’t have standing water in any abundance nearby. Visit any of the local lakes around sunset during warm weather, you’ll see what I mean.

This thread was a fun read though :slight_smile:

As evidence of the number of spiders we have here, I offer the fact that many of the spiders prey on… spiders.

As for numbers of bugs overall: it’s comparable to the central coast of CA where I grew up. My wife says it’s nothing compared to Texas (but then, what is?) or Florida, though. The bottom line for me is that I still can’t go outside in the evening during the nicer months (say, May to October) because any mosquitoes within a mile will immediately bite me. My house is in a neighborhood with a pond and slow-moving stream.