Why no gay Star Trek characters?

Ooh, yas! The poor girl was addicted to . . . marijuana! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Lee_Whitney

Cheezit, the hermaphrodite thing was in the OP. :smack:

I’m at home now, I have time to read…

I thought Wesley was gay :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the episode was leaning that way, and later he seemed a little to shook up when that Special Ops guy died but then they decided to make him a double agent/spy in the end.

No, as broadcast, he definitely kissed her. Big controversy at the time. Remember, this was in the time frame when someone wrote to TV Guide saying it was wrong to put more Blacks on TV because there were no Black cowboys in the west and it would be a ridiculous as a white slave. TV Guide replied that, yes, after the Civil War, freed slaves went west and worked as cowboys, plus the word “slave” derives from “slavs,” who were white. One of the best putdowns ever.

Hortas don’t wear boots!

I remember one ep where he had a romance with a diplomatic guest (an energy being or something, who was only masquerading as a humanoid girl).

He also got it on with Ashley Judd, who played an engineering ensign.

Why no gay Star Wars characters?

Interesting Rand info

I have been given to understand that Roddenbery nixed Gerrold’s gay character because homosexuality would be so open as to be not worth mentioning in TNG universe.
There is a shot of a male yeoman wearing a miniskirt in an early TNG episode.

Encounter at Farpoint, Part One.

The “skant” wearing male crewman was seen for a moment near the beginning of the episode, while Picard was giving us a voiceover describing this fabulous Galaxy class starship.

That episode bugged me because it nothing directly to do with homosexuality but was, at best, a weak statement about conformity. The character Riker falls for, Soren, tells him a story about a member of her species that once displayed “male tendencies.” What does that mean, anyway? “He” watched a lot of football and wouldn’t ask for directions? And Soren allegedly displayed “female” tendencies. Does that mean “she” liked to shop and watch The View? The society depicted isn’t terrified of gender; they’re terrified of individuality.

The episode chickened out by casting the rather foxy actress Melinda Culea as Soren. A gutsier move would’ve been casting an actor. Gutsier still would be to drop the alien crap and just have a gay crew member on the Enterprise.

We could speculate! (not canon, by any stretch)
Geordi - Never could get a date, despite being an attractive, intelligent man. Perhaps he gave off a gay vibe? Leah was a fantasy at first, and a dom to his sub when he actually met her. Geordi should’ve experimented.

Barclay - Had major troubles dealing with his repressed homosexuality. When he finally came out, then he got all sorts of better, making quite a name for himself in the Voyager Incident.

Tasha Yar - Virtually bipolar (like a bar magnet) in her bisexuality. She slept her way to the top, exploiting her abilities to please all the sexes she encountered. Besides having a prolonged affair with Guinan, she dallied with Data, Wesley, a Gorn, and quite a few Klingons and Nausicans.

Troi - Longtime sexual companion to Dr. Crusher, this didn’t prevent her from sexing up various male crewmates. Her former love relationship with Riker wasn’t a monogomous affair, the relationship being very open on both sides.

Neelix - Confirmed pedophile. Married to a 3 yr old, divorced her when she grew up.

Kim - A boy named Kim. Eh, common name for a male in his family’s culture of origin. Was married to a male exotic dancer during his first post Acadamy assignment. Later deiced to experiment with noncorporeal sex after the Voyager Incident.

Captain Decker - First known Human to mate noncorporeally. (Cochran and the Companion are still vaulted away as Top Secret)

Kirk - Trisexual. If it’s sexual, he’ll try it.
You try it! It’s fun!

^^^In fact actor Jonathan Frakes has said he tried to get the producers to have enough balls to cast a male as Soren.

Also, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was the first televised interracial kiss on American TV. The Brits had one on some hospital/doctor series (forget the title) in 1964.

Sir Rhosis

Forget my ^^^ above; someone posted in between me and the post I was replying to.

Sir Rhosis

I always thought Kirk was gay–no matter how many skirts he chased.

Also, Bones seemed to be a wee closeted, or was that Scotty? Hmmmm. Certainly, McCoy needed to have some sex, but then so did Spock…

I may not be able to watch this show with my Dad anymore!

:eek:
:wink:

From this site:

However, according to Wikipedia:

The important thing is that it was a portrayal of an inter-racial kiss on television, which was groundbreaking enough as is.

She was cute. Who was that, anyway?

^^^Her name is Jaime Hubbard–she left acting in the 90s, is now a high school teacher. I forget the actresses’ name–but the girl Hubbard beat out for the role (and who was given a walk-on part in the ep) went on to a much bigger show-biz career.

Sir Rhosis