Wierd Earl for today (042606)/WANT A NEW FORUM? VOTE NOW!

But strictly speaking it’s NOT About This Message Board except that Threadspotting nominations do come from The Straight Dope Message Board. Some of the other content we plan to throw in there has no connection to the SDMB at all.

Sports touches a lot of different areas because, well, it’s a big topic.

ATMB: Why don’t we have a sports forum?
COCC: Comment on Cecil’s coumn re “scoring in tennis.”
COSR: Comment on “What about the NHL makes it National?”
GQ: How are slugging percentages computed?
GD: Should Barry Bonds’ record have an asterisk?
CS: Question re offsides.
IMHO: The designated hitter is destroying baseball.
MPSIMS: Fantasy football signup.
BBQ: Fucking designated hitter is destroying civilization as we know it.

It’s all sports, but it all goes to different places, as is appropriate. If everything sports was mashed into one forum, it would be difficult to moderate and hard to get a handle on.

Like tech sites, there’s lots of places in cyberspace where sports is the order of the day, collectively and individually, name your poison there. They can certainly do it better than we can and our users don’t want the site to be monopolized or taken over by any one big mass of posters with one thing on their minds, be it computer problems or sports.

It’s not our goal to be all things to all people. We are not (yet) your one-stop internet portal. Be cool if we were, wouldn’t it? If that day comes, I’m sure we’ll revisit the issue.

Good logic on not having a sports only. I withdraw my suggestion.
I’m still a vote against a new Forum for Weird Earl and Threadspotting. I’ll second **CarnalK’s ** logic.

Jim

Well, as the OP, I have to say that I stuck it here because Wierd Earl’s is a feature of the board, and this forum is About This Message Board, so…

I suppose I should have stuck it in MPSIMS, using that fabled hindsight. However, I like the “new forum naming game” that has sprung up. With that in mind, how about:

The Wierdness Zone

P’Earls of Wierdness

Hi, Opearl! (sorry, couldn’t let that one go by).

Seeing as you’re the instigator here, howabout Clothahump’s Corner?

-credit where credit is due. :slight_smile:

That guy’s never taken an illegal drug in his life. Otherwise there is no way he would ever say, type or even think the words “stoned on cocaine”. Every good psychonaut knows that cocaine doesn’t get you “stoned”.

As to the contest:

Threadspottingspotting.

You’re right, it’s “high on cocaine.”

Jerry Garcia told us so and who would know better?

Eric Clapton?

He was a heroin guy. Anyway, my main point was that nobody who’s taken drugs would use the word “stoned” for anything except marijuana and maybe alcohol. The word doesn’t come close to describing the effect of cocaine.

Ummmm, but he did have that one song, in the 70’s. What was it called…

Fetus, I apologize, I was just be silly, playing off of TubaDiva’s Post. In fact my ? is a hyperlink to the explanation that Cocaine the Song was actually anti-drug.

Jim

You’ll note from the link What Exit? graciously provided that the song’s not about how much he likes cocaine. Well, it is about how much he likes cocaine, but not in the way you think.

If you do decide to make a forum with “weird” in the title, just make sure it’s spelt weird, and not wierd.

…unless, of course, you want an intentionally wierd spelling.

How about Random Internet Weirdness?

I like The Junk Drawer myself. You never know what treasures you can find in a junk drawer.

If it does happen and it is The Junk Drawer, can I get credit for it? And can I get a free coffee mug too? Can I at least share credit with Cluricaun? Would I also have to share the coffee mug?

:smiley:

Count me in against a new forum. Are there really so many posts on this topic that we’d need a new forum? MPSIMS seems to suit the purpose fine.

We could force sports into an existing forum, Cafe Society. Sports is mostly an entertainment, sometimes an art, so put ALL SPORTS QUESTIONS in the arts and entertainment forum, Cafe Society.

How about “Lagniappe”?

Can we have a forum for people who mis-spell “weird”?