"Wiggle room" or "wriggle room"?

William Safire, the political columnist and etymologist, in a NYTimes column from 1985 opined that it ought to be “wriggle room” rather than “wiggle room.” His rationale was that

The term, from all I can find, started out life as “wiggle room” in the 60’s US. I can find no newspaper cites of “wriggle room” before Safire in 1985. That doesn’t mean there weren’t any. Perhaps it was “wriggle room” in Britspeak slightly before 1985. But I stand by my 1960’s US “wiggle room” evidence.

Which is… ? You’ve said that it goes back to the Johnson administration, but what’s the exact original cite?

Actually, there’s a better way to do that. Add “site:.uk” (without the quotes) to your search.

UK:
“wriggle room”: 73
“wiggle room”: 495

So even in the UK, almost seven times more people say “wiggle room”.

US:
“wriggle room”: 16
“wiggle room”: 551

But in the US, thirty five times more people say “wiggle room”.

I’ve never heard “wriggle room” before. I find that sort of surprising, since idiomatic expressions seem to get botched so often. [I’m one of those people who’s going to explode the next time he sees ‘for all intensive purposes’… :smack:]

My cite is from 7 April, 1965. The Gettysburg Times, page 7, column 6:

I was WRONG in my previous post when I said it came from the Johnson White House. I misread a 1968 cite which I found, which said the term “wiggle room” was a currently popular phrase in the White House.

I can also supply a 1967 quote from the same Senator, Jos. Clark, which uses “wiggle room” in talking about a bill.

Perhaps Clark originated the term.

Once again I seem to go against the majority. I’ve always said/heard wriggle room.

I think that’s the difference between Brit/Oz/Kiwi English and 'Merkin.

The phrase almost certainly is US origin from what I can contribute.

Great work, thanks.