Will there ever be any new Christmas music?

Is I Believe in Father Christmas a Christmas song or an anti-Christmas song? Either way it’s my favorite.

There’s always my entry into the vast canon, Nollaig Na mBan* (Come And Gone).

*Women’s Christmas (January 6th)

Clearly there’s been many new Christmas songs, but when was the last Christmas standard, something that’s been covered by multiple artists?

I suspect the answer to this is Mariah Carey’s 1994 “All I Want For Christmas Is You”. It’s been covered loads and I think many people think it is a cover of an older song since it is written in a kinda classic style.

In the other thread, I mention my go-to favorite Christmas album of recent times, *Snow Angels* by Over the Rhine. It’s all originals (except one pseudo-cover of “Jingle Bells”) and a fantastic album.

Ron Sexsmith’s song “Maybe this Christmas” was covered by Tracey Thorne, and is popular enough that I hear her version pretty frequently on radio stations during the holidays. No doubt there are other versions I haven’t heard.

“Chinese Food On Christmas” is a modern classic–at least at our house.

“Merry Christmas from the Family” which is classic, is from 1996.

It’s been covered multiple times, my favorite is this version from Jill Sobule:

Have you ever heard “The Christmas Shoes”?

There’s ‘Driving Home For Christmas’ by Chris Rea that’s pretty new, though God help me, all I can think is “Billy Bob was released from prison early and is driving home in a pickup truck to surprise Becky Sue” :rolleyes:.

There is another Christmas song I’ve only heard the last couple of years, but I never found out the name. It’s a collection of the most cliched lyrics I’ve ever heard, like it was written with a rhyming dictionary by committee. ‘snow is
in the air, people everywhere. Christmas is here, it’s that time of year.’ Really so bad it’s hilarious.

I also just wrote a new Christmas song, called “Snow on Christmas Eve”. This is just a demo; I’m planning on recording the official studio version in time for next Christmas. Enjoy!

Still the best Christmas song.

My favorite (although hardly traditional) Christmas song was written in 2006: White Wine in the Sun.

16 seconds was all I could take of that, alas.

Sometime in the 80s (maybe I should look it up) UK singer Cliff Richard put out what I think is a really nice Christmas song, called Mistletoe and Wine. It’s very very unpopular with most people, but it persists, and, like I said, I actually quite like it.

It always struck me that Mistletoe and Wine would make a terrible cocktail.

I personally always try to add a couple of new songs to my Christmas Mix, every year. Some of them are newly made, others are so archaic and/or obscure that they’re new enough to me.

Other times, I just find weird gimmicky covers. :smiley:

“Last Christmas” has been covered by a ton of people, and I just heard Carly Rae Jepsen’s version the other day. I could eat her with a spoon.

I never pass up a chance to recommend Carols for a Cure CDS. Every year they include some new songs written just for this CD.

Randall is a dick. Maybe that’s why NASA fired him.

“Dick” is defined as “guy who makes jokes”, now?