Windows Vista - From Whiny 2-year-old to Snotty Teenager

I love cream of mushroom soup. It is the taste.

**Mbossa **has never had cream of mushroom soup made from scratch using fresh cepes.

Vista, You still have a long way to go. Look at your cousin, Excel. He’s graduated to 2007, has expanded his reach from 65,000 rows to over 1,000,000 and has learned to get along better with his other friends and family.

Granted, his taste in formating can be quite extreme and his adorable dropdown menus have disappeared. But forgiveness for that and his somewhat slower Macro speeds he’s really improved himself.

You, on the other hand, seem to have just changed your wardrobe and now ask too many annoying questions. You need to earn our respect and you have yet to do so.

Parental Units have issued a request for information
Cancel or Allow?

I hate everything about mushrooms, taste and texture, and there’s no method of preparing them that makes them remotely palatable.

They’re pretty good chopped into badger stew.

Christ on a cracker! :eek:

Read this section alone, on reliability, and weep at the thought of using Vista.

I’ve been comfortable with XP, it was a great upgrade from Windows 98 when I swapped out my Gateway PC for a Dell Dimension, but based on this article and other such reviews, my next upgrade looks like being a Mac.

I wondered when I saw that section whether, with broadband connection, you run a non-stop risk of tilting out like a shaken pinball machine. Pings are flying all around the Internet, and as anyone with Norton knows, even the lightest breath of a passer-by can set off the alarms and sirens. It’s almost as though Microsoft is committing suicide by consumer.

I’m planning on upgrading to Vista.

After they release SP2.

I’ve been running vista since beta one…I bought the full version when It came out. I’m not as impressed as I was with XP, but its an improvement.
I especially like the stuff most people bitch about…that it runs nothing under the admin account and asks if its ok to switch to admin when a proggy needs it. Any spyware you get in vista is your own fault from now on because by god it asked you and you said yes.

People bitch about Microsofts lack of security and when the try to impliment real security people whine about it.

It seems one of the common gripes I here about Vista is the security questions (cancel or allow? - like shown in the Apple commericals). Let’s not forget why this feature is heavily used in the new Windows Vista; before Vista and SP2, all the lusers would gripe about viruses, security, blah blah blah… and now that Microsoft is giving YOU the choice of making sure what you clicked on is really what you what, it’s become annoying. Don’t blame MS for this, blame the fucking idiots that have open attachtments all these years from those whom they don’t know. Blame the same fucking morons for downloading programs from weird 3rd party sources that ends up crashing their PC. The only fault that MS deserves IN THIS respect, like everything else that’s big in this world, MS simply folded to the majority of minority complaints and put this bullshit in. Now that you know and don’t like it, don’t buy the fucking OS and bitch about it later.

I like how the OP previously bitched about XP, and now has the balls to get Vista, and continues to bash the product. If I buy a Ford and the fucking thing is known to be, and is proven unreliable, I don’t go out and buy another Ford!

I think “bash” is a strong word. Perhaps “make fun of” would be a better choice of words. Vista hasn’t yet proved itself unreliable, just somewhat annoying.

I don’t know if the automobile market is the best analogy here. If your Ford turns out to be a lemon, you’ve got dozens of other choices. In a business environment where documents need to be compatible and things like appointment calendars need to synch up with what clients are using, there really isn’t much of a choice. I could have gone Mac, and probably will at some point soon, but right now, it’s Vista. I hit that brick wall with my XP laptop that many Windows users hit - things were so slow that nothing would help other than Offload Data -> Reformat -> Reinstall OS and Applications -> Bring Back Data. It’s a process I have to go through roughly once a year.

Since we just got our Action Pack subscription with Office 2007, Vista and a bunch of other happy crap, and since I think I can get another year out of my laptop, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade.

However, when this machine blows up, I’m snagging one of those 17" MacBook Pros. drools

Holy chorizo! Talk about Big Brother! Guess I lucked-out unwillingly by not getting the Vista laptop.

Downgrade MY music and MY movies? Time limitations and having to spend even more than I do now for graphic and/or sound card upgrades so they are are “compliant” with MS and their Hollywood chums?

Like hell. Screw Vista. For now anyway. Because I doubt people are going to put up with all that crap.

Disabling of Functionality?

Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation?

Decreased Playback Quality!?!?

Nuts.

All I want to know is how much longer until it isn’t feasible to run XP any more (like 95 is today) and I’ll be forced to switch.

sacriligeous swine :stuck_out_tongue:

::: Sitting here quietly learning "Ubuntu 6.06. ::::

Like I said, it’s a fad I was ready to buy into, not because I looked into it much but simply because I figured that since MS had done some very good work with their XP upgrade, Vista was going to be more of the same but better…

However, after reading that link that Lib, and, coincidentally, an e-mailed article from my brother whom I breeched the subject to yesterday as well, scrrrrew it!

I mean seriously, it’s not an OS, it’s like putting little German SS goons in your machine telling what you can and can’t do. I mean it’ll actually downgrade the viewing/listening quality of my own bought and paid for DVDs or CD’s if they little Nazi’s feel they haven’t passed such and such a certification! Same with sound and video cards. I have some close to top of the line cards on my desktop now, quite new and more than serviceable compard to the custumary crap loaded in off-the-shelves systems…guess what, the little SS cunts WON"T allow me to put them in…because…eh…because…MS wants NVidia, ATI, Creative, to make proprietary drivers for everything and anything that’ll go in their Vista monopoly.

And guess to gets to pay all those driver-making dweebs? As if those gadgets weren’t outrageously outpriced already, we, the consumers get screwd yet again. Only to have a machine that renders the same picture and sound as the one you substituting.

Heck of a deal…just not for the consumer.

But like I said, I can see a tidal-wave of complaints coming down MS’s pipe pretty soon, to get rid of all the little Nazi’s they’ve put in there. Man I’d pissed as hell if I had fallen for the hype. Hell I did – like I said only the lengthy wait made me go for a different machine.

As for how long XP will survive, not overly concerned, because either MS fixes their mess or Vista will get hacked to bits in a year or less. And surely XP will still be around by then.

You’ve got years to go with XP.

It’s a fairly solid system in the hands of someone who knows what they’re doing. For that reason alone it will be around and supported.

Business adaption of Vista will be slow - which is half the push. I don’t know a single business planning on switching at the moment.

There aren’t nearly as many home users making the switch to Vista (not like Win98 to XP) and those that bought an XP machine last year - which included a upgrade to Vista - are being forced to wait by the OEM. They need to make sure all machine are really supported in Vista.

At the moment it seems the bulk of people running Vista are new machine buyers with Vista pre-loaded.

Personally, I’m not planning on switching until Vista SP2 comes out or I’m put in a situation where I’m supporting Vista. Several machine in my home will never be upgraded because they’re working just fine with XP.

I have two machines in the music studio, while powerful enough to run Vista in all it’s Aero glory, have unique internal and external devices. I doubt Vista would know what these devices were.

Holding out 2 years with XP will be fine.

Johana, I just wanted to say 2 things:

I had a WindowsMe computer that I bought in 2001, and I didn’t get a new one until now, 2007. You have plenty of time with the computer you have until you have to change to Vista. By then they would probably have released a couple of patches and improvements.

Another thing, related to that one, was that Microsoft, didn’t stop issuing updates and improvements on the Me until last year (one of the many reasons I changed and got a new puter)… So, I hope that they continue this and include XP support for a few more years…

The downgrade of audio and video is only for HD digital outs and HD material.
So if you are using digital outs to drive your big screen tv and play your blu ray disks on it then yeah, it will downgrade if it cant make a secure link. Blame sony, they insisted on it IIRC.

Same with audio, normal cd’s through the audio outs of your PC will not be effected. SP/Diff digital outs will on HD audio will. This will effect very few people and it’s basically an anti=piracy measure. I don’t particularly like it, but I don’t really care either because I dont use my PC as a home entertainment center. If I did, I would stick with XP until the hardware catches up. I can’t afford a blu-ray drive anyway.

Oh, and the ask if it’s ok to run spyware feature can be turned off. It’s not obvious how, for obvious reasons. I know how and I leave it on because it’s a good idea.