Wired: Dr Craven's Cold-Water Energy Scheme

Just a rehash of the SOS. Lots of BS and no signigant progress.
**Craven & Deep Sea Water since 1998 **

Hey, nice coding! You build it, I’ll watch…

I was thinking of using dissimilar metal junctions rather than semiconductors. The Peltier effect still works, in fact I wasn’t aware that semiconductors were used at all for this application!

For my next scheme, I proposed putting electrodes either side of the Thames to capture the current generated by that conductive water flowing through Earth’s magnetic field…

Wouldn’t the current induced in the conductor* crossing the Thames oppose it and cancel it out?

*(you have to do this to get the opposite terminals in one place to make use of them).

No. That conductor isn’t moving relative to Earth’s magnetic field - only the flowing water is. Faraday had a go at it…

http://www.phy6.org/earthmag/NSTA1C.htm

Oops - I see what you mean.

I searched, and after some true Google sleuthing only could find this Dutch text.

But key is that there’s a 20 degree Celcius temperature difference between the seawater and the higher layers of air. The ammonia turns to gas at sealevel, then liquidifies at high altitude, and falls back down through a pipe, driving turbines. The difference in relative density of ammoniak compared to its environment is the driving force here, as I suspect it is in the other projects like the Hawaiian one. The power output is estimated at 7000 MegaWatt. Skeptics were among others worried about how to feed that much power into the national current system (a German high-powered windmill system happens to be slightly worrying in terms of peak powers when storms occur as we speak), environmental issues in terms of security and potential ammonia leaks, and of course the initial investment amount, estimated at 30.000.000.000, but we all know these things generally become at least double what they are estimated at. (but at 30.000.000.000 it would match any other system, nuclear, gas, coals, etc., at least, again, according to the initial study)

Megapower-project
Tijdens de Novem Energieconversiedag van 7 december wordt door Seatec, Hoogovens, Stork Ketels Hengelo en Novem het Megapower-project gepresenteerd. De Megapower staat voor een energiecentrale met een hoogte van 5 tot 7,5 kilometer. Deze megatoren maakt gebruik van het op de Noordzee aanwezige temperatuurverschil van ongeveer 20oC tussen het zeewater en hogere luchtlagen. Het warmteoverdragend medium in de toren is ammoniak, dat ook als werkmedium wordt ingezet. De ammoniak verdampt op zeeniveau in de verdamper, stijgt vervolgens op om op grote hoogte tot vloeistof te condenseren. De ammoniak valt via een pijp naar beneden en turbines zorgen ervoor dat de potentiële energie van het in de condensor aanwezige ammoniak wordt omgezet in elektrisch vermogen. De Megapower-toren blijft draaien doordat het aanwezige temperatuurverschil de natuurlijke circulatie van het ammoniak in stand houdt. De drijvende kracht achter de natuurlijke circulatie is het in de richting van de zwaartekracht aanwezige positieve verschil in dichtheid van de ammoniak met zijn omgeving. Een verkennende haalbaarheidsstudie, uitgevoerd door medewerkers van bovengenoemde ondernemingen, heeft aangetoond dat het idee zowel fysisch als bouwtechnisch haalbaar zou zijn.
Door de enorme dimensies van de Megapower-toren zouden de turbines 7.000 MW elektriciteit kunnen produceren. De diameter van de valpijp van de twee miljoen ton wegende toren is 50 meter, de condensor heeft een massa van 300.000 ton en bevindt zich op 5 tot 7,5 kilometer boven zeeniveau. Drijflichamen gevuld met waterstof, uitwendig aangebracht (diameter tot 900 meter) of geïntegreerd in de pijp (diameter tot 165 meter), moeten zorgen voor het drijvend vermogen van de constructie. De kunststof tuikabels zijn 50 centimeter dik en 8 kilometer lang. De investeringskosten van het Megapower-project bedragen ongeveer f. 30 miljard. Daarmee zijn de bedrijfskosten vergelijkbaar met die van conventionele grootschalige energieconversietechnieken.

In de Megapower-toren worden bestaande technologieën met elkaar gecombineerd, echter in reusachtige afmetingen. De reacties zijn overwegend sceptisch, waarbij men vooral vraagtekens zet bij de praktische uitvoerbaarheid, de inpassing van een 7.000 MWe-eenheid in de (Nederlandse) energievoorziening, de milieubelasting van deze ‘point-absorber’, de bescherming tegen weglekken van ammoniak en het zeer hoge investeringsbedrag. Nog niet alle aspecten van het Megapower-project zijn bekeken. Een vervolgstudie, waarvoor circa f. 5 miljoen nodig is, moet meer duidelijkheid geven over de haalbaarheid van het project.

Many thanks!

Now I see why you need a 6km high tower. It uses the high-altitude atmosphere as the cold heat sink. That is true lateral thinking. I like it.

The earth is constantly losing heat to space through radiation anyway. Nothing wrong with using the Earth as the hot source and space as the cold sink for a heat engine. Technically extremely difficult, but this tower scheme gets around some of the problems - the upper atmosphere acts as your cold radiator, and the sea acts as the “hot” reservoir. It’ll still work better using tropical warm water, but I guess you could use it in most places. Plus it acts to counter global warming!

A suggested variant of OTEC was ICETEC, where you tow small iceburgs to warmer waters with tugs and use them as cold sinks instead of deep ocean water, replacing them occasionally. Apparently towing iceburgs around is already an established technology, used when they look like bumping into oil platforms.

While the UK and The Netherlands don’t really have warm enough water to use ICETEC in this way, we could use it as an extra power-generating stage on coastal power stations. Use the low-temperature steam from the turbine exhausts to boil the ammonia, and moored iceburgs to re-condense it. More fuel-efficient power stations, plus you get fresh water as a by-product.

Wired did not mention that the scheme was 7 or 8 years old and was another project awaiting gov’t funding.

For the current scoop on John Crave he is now on to greater and better things.
** Tales of An Ancient Mariner **
** The Ancient Mariner **

Gov’t subsidized projects are a way of life for a considerable number of ‘scientists.’