Wonderful anti-Muslim e-mail I got

Incidentally, in case you’re interested, about 80% of all Jews worldwide are Ashkenazic:

Sephardic Jews are about 15% of all Jews worldwide:

I’d just like to clarify that reports on the Uk debating the removal of the Holocaust from the national schools curriculum is utterly false, and was a rumour spread by a malicious email of the sort you have received above. This bollocks email was even mentioned in parliament, as the quote below shows from a parliamentary session in 2009:

So I hope that clears up that nonsense. I’m so fed up of stupid falsehoods that suggest we (the UK) are banning teaching the holocaust or introducing sharia law or any other such bollocks.

Could anyone POSSIBLY believe this was printed in a newspaper? Even in the op-ed section? It’s disjointed, meandering, and stops in the middle for a list of 150 names. No editor worth his salt would publish this as it is, even if he WERE working for Aryan Separatists Quarterly or whatever the hell kind of publication would see this as in line with their editorial bent. I’ll grant, it’s hard to tell how much of this is the “original article” and how much is chaff added on by subsequent forwardees, but in the state we are presented with it here, it’s a MESS.

Maybe it’s SLIGHTLY more elegant in the original Spanish, but I doubt it.

It sounds to me like “the Jews” are running the Nobel prize committees and I’m tempted to write a weird rambling racist e-mail calling for an investigation.

I think the newspaper part is supposed to end at the line of asterisks. The writing after the list is a different style (the writing above the asterisks does NOT emphatically CAPITALIZE WORDS) and actually makes reference to it being an e-mail.

My Google search brought me to this Spanish-language webpage. At least based on the Google Translate English language translation, it appears to be the same text as the beginning of the quote (except for the list of Nobelists).

I’m surprised the Spanish author does not lament the 1492 expulsion of Jews from Spain as well. Probably because most of them ended up being taken in by Muslims.

It should hearten anaamika’s friend to learn that the Eurabia thing is a myth.

I agree with this.

Completely inappropriate for the workplace, and I’d tell them to knock it off.

One of my relatives was nominated for the Nobel in Economics.

Does this mean he is an Honorary Jew?

Does this mean I am an Honorary Jew?

Do I get an Honorary Yarmulke?

And, are Yarmulkes waterproof?

These questions must be answered!

I’ll have to tell this to a Jewish friend who works for a demolition company. They took one down within recent years.

Perhaps it doesn’t count, because they used a crane & wrecking ball – not explosives. And the building had already been de-sanctified, so maybe it didn’t count as a church anymore?

I’m going to agree with Anne Nevile: this sounds like the anti-Jew propaganda with the vilified party changed.

We always gotta have SOME nationality to use as a scape goat!
~VOW

It’s a hoax. Spanish language webpage: the reporter who posts it says he’s been getting that particular PoS since at least 2005.

While I can’t claim to be familiar with the names of every Spanish “columnista” (nor would I want to), that article simply didn’t seem to match any newspapers I can think of (there’s one which is that imbecilic, but the style is too simple for them), so I searched. Hoax. OK, good to verify that not even our worst rags are that idiotic… :stuck_out_tongue:

Please…I just wanted it to be clear that that wasn’t actually a quote of mine, but it was from the article.

Aside from Abdus Salam, let me say that Nils Bohr was not Jewish (at least according to a biography I read), although he may have had a Jewish ancestor. And I believe I read somewhere (probably Wiki) that Paul Krugman is.

But these are nitpicks. A millennium ago, the west had not emerged from stagnation and the Muslim world was the center of learning. When Gerbert, the future Pope Sylvester, wanted to lean mathematics he, in the words of one history I read, disguised himself as an Arab and went to school in Cordoba.

Incidentally, anti-semitism (by which I mean the anti-Jewish type) is on the rise in Europe. When will the Europeans admit that if they hadn’t disgorged their Jewish population, Israel would not have come into being.

My first thought when I read the thing was, “Where is the list of Nobel laureate cross-indexed by religion?”

The person who wrote the E-mail may have gotten the Jewish Nobel Prize winners from this website:

Abdus Salam was a member of the Ahmadi sect. The Ahmadis identify themselves as Muslims. The Sunni orthodox imams in Pakistan insist that the Ahmadis are apostates and can’t be counted as Muslims. Perhaps the writer took that as the cue to bump the Muslim count down a notch?

As a Latina with an interest in Latin culture and history, I tend to make a Spanish connection with the year 1492. This year marks both the christian European tradition of genocide on native peoples of the Americas, and the beginning of the expulsion of Muslims and Jews from Spain.
Muslims and Jews both suffered and died through force and tortures from the Inquisition, their wealth was confiscated by Spain, and the banishment of an estimated three million people are a part of their shared history in Spain.
In 1928, Garcia Lorca, the Spanish writer and poet from Granada, commented on this, " It was a disastrous event, even though they say the opposite in schools. An admirable civilization and poetry, architecture and delicacy unique in the world-all were lost."

This may explain a bit more about the source.

Like many urban legends, this one has a germ of truth and much distortion:

It occurs to me that the Nobel prize committee might be biased, so a list of winning religions or nationalities wouldn’t necessarily be representative of a culture’s contribution to the world.

Pasternak is listed as Jewish, but while his family was Jewish, he himself did not practice and if anything converted to Orthodox Christianity towards the end of his life. I suspect that this might be true for many of the other laureates on the list, both the supposed Jews and the supposed Muslims. It’s a pretty meaningless thing, all in all.

Or because Salam worked on Pakistans nuclear program me made him less deserving?