Words coined by famous people

Your wit and originality in this political jab at the supposed illiteracy of George W. Bush is impressive.

Plus it is not even OP correct, because your assumed word has not entered any lexicon besides that you carry in your head.

Do names count? J.R. Barrie coined (or at least popularized) the girl’s name name “Wendy,” and “Vanessa” was a name invented by Jonathan Swift that he derived from his friend Esther Vanhomrigh (Van + Essa).

Accoding to this article, Dr. Seuss’s If I Ran The Zoo is the first printed use of the word “nerd” in modern English.

Thought of a couple: Jeremy Bentham coined “utilitarian” and “utilitarianism,” and Auguste Comte coined “altruism.”

Isaac Asimov created the word for the discipline ‘robotics’ as well as the adjective ‘robotic’ unintentionally. He knew of ‘robot’ and just assumed the other words existed. But he was the first to use them.

He was very proud to appear a few times in the OED. I think he was also mentioned for ‘psychohistory,’ though he wasn’t actually first with that one.

[moderator note]
Political jabs are not allowed in GQ. Don’t do this again.
[/moderator note]

Gelett Burgess (author of “The Purple Cow”) coined “blurb.”

Similar thread

Shakespeare gets credited with a bunch, although many are probably just the first recorded use of those particular words in English. Here’s a list of 20 including belongings, new-fangled and eventful.

Jefferson didn’t coin “dime” (I saw what you did there :stuck_out_tongue: ). It’s a very old English word, traceable through French and back to Latin, as shown in the Merriam-Webster definition of “dime”:

In Quebec, it was used to refer, not to coinage, but to tithes owed to the Church, as “dîme” - the circumflex showing the “s” which had gradually dropped out of the French pronunciation.

Jefferson may have popularised the use of the word to refer to a 10 cent piece?

[quote=“Omar_Little, post:18, topic:658389”]

Nucelar - George W. Bush[/QUOTE

I thought it sounded more like, nuc-you-ler. :stuck_out_tongue:

My dear old (R.I.P.) Dad, used to say it like G.W., too.

I believe that Jimmy Carter may have had difficulties with pronouncing nuclear, as well.

I knew about him coining physicist, but his name didn’t mean anything to me. So I didn’t consider him to be famous.

Ok, but adding established English suffixes and prefixes to established English words to make fairly obvious derivations is not exactly a major linguistic accomplishment. This also applies to Asimov coining robotics. Verbing nouns falls into the same category (Jefferson/neologize).

Ooh, good one. At first blush this may seem to contradict the above remarks. But this word is not that obvious, in my opinion anyway. YMMV.

OK, it’s getting late here and I’m overdue for bed, so I’ll save my remarks about some of the other responses until tomorrow. But thanks for everyone’s contribution.

I’ve seen it used as recently as within the last ten years. Movie Special Effects teams use waldos to manipulate sets that are built on gimbals.

Um…make that “J.M. Barrie.” Heh.

Raphael Lemkin coined the word “genocide” to describe the Nazi actions in WW2, as well as the Ottoman (Turkey) actions in the Armenian Genocide of Syrian Christians, Greeks and Armenians, which Turkey flat out denies to this day.

In fact, the Armenian Genocide is the first recorded genocide in history.

Hardly. See Genocides in History, which includes references to the Hebrews killing off the Amalekites and Midianites, the Romans destroying Carthage, killing/enslaving the Carthaginians and sowing the ground with salt, etc.

I stand corrected, but per your link:

" The Armenian Genocide is acknowledged to have been one of the earliest modern genocides"

The destruction of the American Indian population is I believe the largest in percentage of population lost in modern times–I think.

Obviously that’s a different thread.

Malaprop comes from a name of a character in a Charles Dickens story.
Shylock and Sherlock used to be popular.