WTF is *WITH* the escalator at 3rd and 52nd? (NYC Subway)

"I like an escalator, man, 'cause an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign, only “Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience.”
-Mitch Hedberg

Hey! I’m actually at the corner of 1st Ave and 49th. But this is the nearest subway (E/V and 6).

And you missed it. The window of opportunity for seeing the escalator in action has closed again.

We are neighbors, sort of. I live on 51st, between 2nd & 3rd.

When the fuck did that happen?

Update: with one brief half-day outage, they had it running for an unprecedented 2 weeks.

That ended 3 weeks ago. For three weeks now, it’s had the “under construction” barriers around it at both ends, and has stood motionless. (OK, technically 3 weeks tomorrow).

I’m taking bets on whether it runs again in 2007.

Sounds like the moving sidewalks at Beaudry metro. I don’t even remember when the east one was taken out of service, but it’s been that way since at least the winter before last. It was even out of service during the World Outgames (Beaudry metro is in the gay village), although they took away the barriers so at least you could use it to walk up and down on; as it is now, your only choice to get into the metro is a block-long flight of stairs with slanting landings, which if completely fixed in place, tiled concrete stairs could be rickety, these would be. They were downright dangerous in the winter. I’ve stopped entering the metro at that station entirely. Feh.