Yet another "Bush's 7 minutes" thread

If you say so, Lib. :rolleyes:

But I’ll take that bit of BS as an admission that you had no idea what you were talking about, and have no actual rebuttal to offer.

Nothing to do with you, I was responding to Zoe’s post, that Bush let us down.

You ask me for a cite and then follow that with…

:confused:

And what happens if flying saucers invade? What does a silly hypothetical have to do with anything?

Ummm, yes, there wasn’t a standard security procedure for “Jet planes deliberately flown into buildings 3,000 miles away from where the Pres currently is”

Damn those unprepared buffons!

Preparing to make decisions? What the hell are you talking about? Maybe his advisors were “bouncing” ideas of each other in order to more efficiently offer a list of options to the Pres? It was seven minutes man. I probably hate Bush more then anyone else, and even find this whole argument to be stupid.

1. Got off the subway (it looked like a thunderstorm was coming, all dark and all), and watched a huge jet plane fly (directly over me) the lowest I’ve ever seen over manhatten. I assumed it was about 500 feet of the ground, was fucked up, and was going to crash somewhere in midtown.

2. Watched the plane fly over, and go out of sight (big building in my way) and then about 3 seconds later heard an earth shaking explosion. I then realized there was no thunderstorm, the sky was filled with black smoke and people were running for their lives and crying.

3. I continued walking 3 blocks over to my office, and on the elevator and told a guy I think a plane just went down. He told me I was mistaken and then a plane had gone down about 20 minutes ago, not a minutes ago.

4. Upon getting up to my 20th floor office I looked out the window and saw the WTC (5 blocks away) burning. I realized the plane that flew over me was the second one.

5. I tried not to watch the people jumping, tried to surf the net for info, and answered people calling me to see if I was ok.

6. Crossed my fingers as the first tower went down, (if it had fallen like a tree I wouldn’t be posting) and watched a huge black cloud (think total recall) rush towards our windows.

7. We were told to remain in our building, and I had to stay at my job anyway (we do financial stuff and had to keep running), although I received about 50 frantic calls from friends and family telling me to screw my job and get out of there.

8. Crossed my fingers as the second tower went down, (if it had fallen like a tree I wouldn’t be posting) and watched a huge black cloud (think total recall) rush towards our windows.

9. Watched a few more buildings collapse as the day went on, and listened to frantic reports about gas lines and all of lower manhatten about to explode, etc, etc

10. Called it a day at 5, walked through the ashes to the Brooklyn Bridge, and walked home to Brooklyn.

Otto: Lack of reading comprehesion, check. Totally unaware of my posting history, check.

Why is it that adults who otherwise are apparently rational, when presented with the concept of “It took Bush’s aids a few minutes to make sense of what was going on,” are unable to receive that concept in a way other than “Bush had all the time in the world, what was the rush? He should have hung around for a few hours and shot the shit with the kids”?

When the did I ever say anything remotely like this? Quote it or stuff it.

Back atcha.

Just like this one now! One more for the pile!

I had to do some intensive research here, really had to dig into the posting history and do some fancy work, but I found this post which I think fits the bill:

Why should I rebut you when you’ve made my case for me? There are many leftists who simply lack the personal discipline ever to refrain from bashing Bush over trivial and irrelevant things. I suspect that, for many of you, it is little more than a pathetic game of spite — they did it to Clinton, so now you’re doing it to Bush. You in particular have started some really petty threads about piddly shit, including one that you proudly labelled as such, and designated as a place to bash Bush for things that didn’t warrant their own pittings. In other words, your hatred is so irrational that you lacked even the basic self-control to confine pitworthy things to the Pit.

:confused:

Bolding mine

This implies that he’s damned if he stays, and damned if he sprints out the room, people will bitch either way. I asked to point out where I ever stated that people would bitch no matter what he did.

It looks like your chocolate is in my peanut butter, or vise versa.

Please don’t insult people by pretending that you didn’t agree with the do nothing/run screaming false dichotomy.

I think we crossed a few wires, I really don’t know what you’re talking about.

(a) First of all, I only brought up the decision to go to war in Afghanistan as an example of something that has, for the most part, not been criticized. Note, the decision to go to war in Afghanistan as an example of something that has, for the most part, not been criticized.

(b) As for the war in Afghanistan itself, and note that this is completely a hijack as it in no way relates to the OP, but is an interesting side argument, I am hardly an authority on matters military, but it seems to me that the proof is in the pudding, in that OBL and many of his top lieutenants were not captured, and Afghanistan is not, as of right now, a functioning democracy in any meaningful sense of the word. I don’t know how much of that is due to the distraction of invading Iraq, but I find it hard to believe that engaging in another entire war could fail to hurt the war effort in Afghanistan.

See (3)(b) of the OP, which addresses your questions. Or at least, it claims that your questions are basically irrelevant.

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I’m not criticizing the Secret Service for not being prepared. (Or at least, that’s not my primary point). Rather, I’m speculating as to why, exactly, Bush was in the school for those 7 minutes at all.

There are several possibilities:
(1) The Secret Service thought that the school was actually the safest possible place for him to be
(2) The Secret Service wanted to move him somewhere safer, and it took 7 (or however many) minutes to figure out the logistics for that move
(3) Due to the completely extraordinary and unprecedented circumstances, no one really took control of the situation and made a command decision to get the president somewhere safer. Had someone done so, he could have been moved more-or-less instantly

In another thread on this topic, Hentor The Barbarian dug up the appropriate passage from the 9/11 commision report:

I lean towards option (3) which seems to be at least vaguely in line with the 9/11 commision. You seemed to be endorsing (2) in your post about it taking 7 minutes to warm up AF1, which is what I was responding to.

Huh. Well, I guess we just disagree then. In my opinion, if a leader is told “a phenomenally important crisis is unfolding. Details are sketchy. We have some information. We’ll continue to get more information” he can start to do useful stuff immediately, namely, starting to discuss the situation, along with whatever informaiton is currently available, with his advisors. Even if it turns out, after discussion, that nothing useful can be done immediately, he’ll be more prepared to process further information, and make decisions based on that information, as it comes available.

OK, this is exactly the kind of post that really gets my dander up.

This could easily be read as “many leftists” meaning, say, 5,000 in the whole US. Which is “many” in that 5,000 is a large number. And “many of you” meaning a handful of the most strident and single-minded liberal dopers. Which I can’t honestly disagree with.
Or it could be read as “many leftists” meaning, well, 30 or 40% of all liberals, and “many of you” meaning “30 or 40% of liberal dopers”.

To me, that’s an important distinction, and one which is definitely NOT possible to infer from the tone of your post, or other similarly snarky posts about vague groups of stupid leftists.
So, which is it? Approximately how many of these braindead nutsos are you claiming exist?

If that’s your lie, hon, you keep on workin’ it.

I look forward to a time 10, maybe 20 years in the future, when that lame alliteration “Bush Bashing” is reduced to a vulgar synonym for “Balling.” The phrase has already gotten old and tired. Do you think you could give it a rest; maybe use “Dubya Stompin” or “George Baiting” once in a while?

Or if you would like to clarify what you’re talking about, I’d be happy to respond.

Morning, all. Hope a good night’s sleep has made everyone chipper and friendly. :wink:

The five-to-seven minutes Fearless Leader remained in the classroom is endlessly debatable. He should have gotten out of Dodge the moment Card said “America is under attack,” but it’s not a big enough deal that we should sit here slinging hamster shit at each other.

However:

I find it interesting that the folks supporting Bush have had no comment on what I pointed out yesterday - that Bush then spent fifteen minutes putting together a statement for the press. I don’t know about you guys, but if I were president of a country larger than a 4-H club, and I were told said country was in the middle of a vicious attack of unknown scope, talking to the press pool would be way, way down on my list of things to do.

Then you would make a pretty poor president indeed. President is not firman, firechief, soldier, or even general. The nation was under attack. President Bush wanted to speak to the nation to assure us that people were responding to the attacks, and that America was not about to fall. He wrote the remarks while his aides were preparing to leave.

As in “Between 9:15 and 9:30, the staff was busy arranging a return to Washington, while the President consulted his senior advisers about his remarks.”. He had already talked to his security people, and wanted to convey what he could as soon as possible to the American people. While I respect your opinion that the President should have grabbed a fire hose, or something, I think it is silly.

First of all, oh come ON, no one is saying that the president should have grabbed a fire hose, or anything approaching that.

Secondly, I somewhat agree with you. One of the responsibilties Bush had as a leader was to be visibily leaderly, which includes making speeches and being reassuring and so forth. However, that’s only one of the things he should have been doing, and a rather minor one at that.

His priorities, imho, should have looked like this:
(1) Keep self safe
(2) Discuss actual ongoing national crisis with advisors, see if any presidential decisions need to be made, keep self updated

(huge gap)

(3) Prepare speech for nation

(huge gap)

(4) Keep reading book to kids so as not to cause them to panic